Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 12:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,317,076 times

Advertisements

What top 10 cities do you think will be the rising stars of 2021 and the rest of the 2020s??

I think housing affordability is really changing the landscape of growth for what were some hot metros in the 2010s, and now that it looks like the pandemic will be cooling halfway through 2021, we can look forward to new growth and trends as we return to normalcy.

With that I think some of the rising stars of 2010s are seeing a bit of a slowdown.

Places like: Austin, Denver, Portland.

I would say those three above cities were the stars of the 2010s in terms of growth and transformation, moving into a new class/tier as a city.

What top 10 cities do we see as the rising stars of the 2020s, starting with 2021??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 12:56 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,070,430 times
I think Jacksonville should definitely be on this list. Even with its perceived negatives it still manages to be a leader in both population and economic growth. The people moving to the area are largely educated and with decent disposable incomes. It's got a great port location and benefits from climate.

The city core looks pretty impressive from the freeway and you can see just how much potential it has. It's a shame that local leadership is so short sighted when it comes to development incentives. I've been down here for the last month and have got caught up on some of the big $ developments that are being attempted. The comments from local leadership about incentives and ROI are so cringe worthy. I can see why downtown JAX has been largely untouched by the urban surge over the last 15 years. A city like Grand Rapids should not be kicking Jacksonville's butt in the urban development department. JAX leaders could take some lessons from the public/private partnerships that have brought that city back from the downtown dead. I guess that shortsightedness is a bi-product of what happens when you expand city borders to include stubborn NIMBY suburbanites that see no value in using tax dollars to spur development.

Either way if Jacksonville leadership can ever get out of it's own way the city would explode with its potential.

Other cities I'd include for 2020's potential:
Grand Rapids
Madison
Des Moines
Omaha
OKC
Boise
Richmond

Old 12-03-2020, 12:59 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Cities I think that will see the biggest net gain.

1. Boise
2. Durham
3. Worcester
4. Omaha
5. Trenton NJ
6. Greensboro
7. Grand Rapids
8. Jacksonville
9. Buffalo
10. Kansas City

Old 12-03-2020, 01:02 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,523,945 times
Cities that I think will start coming into their own in the 2020's (IMO) will be Greensboro NC, Jacksonville FL, Tulsa OK, Grand Rapids MI, and Boise ID. Boise is doing well, but will do even better due them being one of the few metros in the west that's still pretty affordable, plus desirable now AND has a lot of room to grow.

You mentioned housing prices and Austin, Denver, and Portland as your picks. Though Austin and Denver will continue to do well, it won't do so at the rate it did prior to 2020. The rate of increase in their COL has no indication that it will slow in relation to the national average. Portland also has the added burden of a massive amount of social and civil issues that can't be ignored. Massive amounts of homelessness, open drug use, skyrocketing crime, a very strong and violent Antifa/BLM influence, and a local government that turns a blind eye to these ills. All of this and its high and rising COL will continue to decimate this once great city. I was there 2 years ago and was flabbergasted at how unlivable it is now. Their best days are in the past.

Old 12-03-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Cities that I think will start coming into their own in the 2020's (IMO) will be Greensboro NC, Jacksonville FL, Tulsa OK, Grand Rapids MI, and Boise ID. Boise is doing well, but will do even better due them being one of the few metros in the west that's still pretty affordable, plus desirable now AND has a lot of room to grow.

You mentioned housing prices and Austin, Denver, and Portland as your picks. Though Austin and Denver will continue to do well, it won't do so at the rate it did prior to 2020. The rate of increase in their COL has no indication that it will slow in relation to the national average. Portland also has the added burden of a massive amount of social and civil issues that can't be ignored. Massive amounts of homelessness, open drug use, skyrocketing crime, a very strong and violent Antifa/BLM influence, and a local government that turns a blind eye to these ills. All of this and its high and rising COL will continue to decimate this once great city. I was there 2 years ago and was flabbergasted at how unlivable it is now. Their best days are in the past.
I think you misread what I posted.

I said in the 2010s: Portland, Denver and Austin were considered the "it" cities.

But housing affordability and a host of some other things, have downplayed their popularity and I no longer see them as rising stars.

The three cities above have matured and are finding the growing pains of any city that sees large growth in a short amount of time.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:36 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,229,828 times
Detroit has to be a contender to be one of the rising cities if it keeps pace with what has taken place in the past decade. So much potential and energy going into this decade, it will be very interesting to see what happens.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:46 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,403,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
What top 10 cities do you think will be the rising stars of 2021 and the rest of the 2020s??

I think housing affordability is really changing the landscape of growth for what were some hot metros in the 2010s, and now that it looks like the pandemic will be cooling halfway through 2021, we can look forward to new growth and trends as we return to normalcy.

With that I think some of the rising stars of 2010s are seeing a bit of a slowdown.

Places like: Austin, Denver, Portland.

I would say those three above cities were the stars of the 2010s in terms of growth and transformation, moving into a new class/tier as a city.

What top 10 cities do we see as the rising stars of the 2020s, starting with 2021??
What's the evidence for that?... Austin and Denver are both absolutely booming in 2020. We'll see if that continues through the rest of the decade.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:47 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,453,980 times
These are the top 10 cities that I think will see their economies continue to heat up, gentrification and development/redevelopment continue to occur at a decently fast pace, and see several core neighborhoods "clean up" and become much more livable:

10 Chattanooga, TN
9 Fort Worth, TX
8 Phoenix, AZ
7 Louisville, KY
6 Albuquerque, NM

5 Jacksonville, FL
4 Memphis, TN
3 Winston-Salem, NC
2 Omaha, NE
1 Salt Lake City, UT

Old 12-04-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
What's the evidence for that?... Austin and Denver are both absolutely booming in 2020. We'll see if that continues through the rest of the decade.
This thread is about rising stars. I am not saying Austin and Denver are in any sort of decline.

I am saying they have matured and grown into themselves, and now have a bit of the growing pains for growing so quickly.

Housing costs, Traffic, Lack of infrastructure, etc.

Both cities are taking steps to address the infrastructure challenges, but they are no longer rising stars. They have definitely matured into Class B/B- cities.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
These are the top 10 cities that I think will see their economies continue to heat up, gentrification and development/redevelopment continue to occur at a decently fast pace, and see several core neighborhoods "clean up" and become much more livable:

10 Chattanooga, TN
9 Fort Worth, TX
8 Phoenix, AZ
7 Louisville, KY
6 Albuquerque, NM

5 Jacksonville, FL
4 Memphis, TN
3 Winston-Salem, NC
2 Omaha, NE
1 Salt Lake City, UT

I definitely agree with SLC and Omaha. TONS of Californians are making their way to these two places because the QOL is quite high, while housing is so much more affordable.

I think Phoenix will still continue to grow, though housing is definitely going to slow down the heat a bit there. Housing is becoming a bit more expensive in Phoenix, not as expensive as SOCAL though, so we shall see.

Between Phoenix and Las Vegas, Vegas has the more adorable housing stock, so I would bet that metro grows at a faster clip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City