Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like New York?
Pennsylvania 128 77.58%
New England 37 22.42%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 10:00 AM

795 posts, read 482,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowery View Post
I just don't see it, the sides of New York bordering New England look more like New England than the side of NY bordering PA looks like PA. My brother recently moved from Syracuse to Northeast Pennsylvania and it has been a shock in terms of infrastructure, services, rules, laws, etc.

But at the same time I have crossed the border between Massachusetts and New York, also Vermont and the change is apparent, but that happens in many places also: PA/NJ, IN/IL, MD/PA, NY/CT etc...

Would be curious to see which states of those you feel have the best infrastructure and roads? For roads I know it isn't Massachusetts we have some of the worst roads .

To answer the original question, I think OVERALL New York is more similar to Pennsylvania than it is to the New England states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

They all hold SOME similarities since all of them had colonial Americans living there and founding communities even before the American Revolution. New England was mainly founded on religion and ship building, while the Mid Atlantic was mainly founded in trade and agriculture. There are crossovers, like Rhode Island being similar to New York and Pennsylvania in religious freedom etc.

Mid Atlantic while I understand and agree to the regional name is weird because half of New York is north of southern New England LOL. Just a weird though I had lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 07:04 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post
Would be curious to see which states of those you feel have the best infrastructure and roads? For roads I know it isn't Massachusetts we have some of the worst roads .

To answer the original question, I think OVERALL New York is more similar to Pennsylvania than it is to the New England states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

They all hold SOME similarities since all of them had colonial Americans living there and founding communities even before the American Revolution. New England was mainly founded on religion and ship building, while the Mid Atlantic was mainly founded in trade and agriculture. There are crossovers, like Rhode Island being similar to New York and Pennsylvania in religious freedom etc.

Mid Atlantic while I understand and agree to the regional name is weird because half of New York is north of southern New England LOL. Just a weird though I had lol.
Connecticut, New Jersey and Western Massachusetts have good roads. Obviously, the NJ TPK on Newark Bay Bridge or some road that sees 100s of thousands of cars a day will be worn. We get that. But CT NJ have decently great roads for everyday drivers and the highways are in good repair.

Eastern MA, RI, NYC, Upstate NY, PA have some of the worst roads Ive ever seen. Omg.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:44 AM

106 posts, read 60,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post

Best roads: New Jersey, New Hampshire, Maryland and Connecticut, hands down.

Worst roads: New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:50 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:

agreed.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Connecticut, New Jersey and Western Massachusetts have good roads. Obviously, the NJ TPK on Newark Bay Bridge or some road that sees 100s of thousands of cars a day will be worn. We get that. But CT NJ have decently great roads for everyday drivers and the highways are in good repair.

Eastern MA, RI, NYC, Upstate NY, PA have some of the worst roads Ive ever seen. Omg.

I can definitely agree on eastern MA roads being some of the worst . I don't have any experience driving in any of the others though.

Quote:

This sounds about right ! Haha.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:47 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:

Maryland has some terrible roads!

Old 07-27-2022, 08:31 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Maryland has some terrible roads!
Baltimore has terrible roads for sure.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:32 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:

I used to think NJ had good roads. Whatever it once had it doesn't any more. NY roads have improved quite a bit but are still not great. New Hampshire's are good. Connecticut not so much. Massachusetts' drivers are really not good.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I used to think NJ had good roads. Whatever it once had it doesn't any more. NY roads have improved quite a bit but are still not great. New Hampshire's are good. Connecticut not so much. Massachusetts' drivers are really not good.

New Hampshire roads are among some of the best.

Massachusetts gets the rap for bad drivers and many are aggressive. However I notice a lot of out of state drivers in Massachusetts especially in the Boston area who are not good drivers.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:45 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
You really have to break it down:

Long Island: New England
New York City: Pennsylvania
Westchester; New England
Hudson Valley: New England
Capital Region: New England
North Country: New England
Central New York: Pennsylvania
Southern Tier: Pennsylvania
Western New York: Pennsylvania

5:4 NE to PA Ratio.
What about Long Island is similar to New England?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City