Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please choose 2 answers (one for "live" and one from "visit")
Massachusetts to live 101 65.58%
Missouri to live 50 32.47%
Massachusetts to visit 116 75.32%
Missouri to visit 26 16.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 01:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times

Advertisements

Time to start chuckling, at the absurdity. We all, now, based on this thread, should bow to Boston. Evidently, not much else matters, or compares. And, you can even hike there, as opposed to just walking. That's huge, right btownboss4??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 01:36 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I completely understand where citidata is coming from. The notion that Boston is the "educational capital of the universe" is incredibly pretentious and very much factually untrue.
Again. Figure 4: https://www.kearney.com/global-cities/2020

This isn’t something that posters on CD made up to brag.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:37 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Say it one more time
It's ironic you say that, because if there's on thing I've learned about Bostonians in my time as a transplanted New Englander, it's common to hold other cities to a MUCH higher standard than Boston.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:55 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
NYC gets to be the world financial Capital but Frankfurt has both the largest European banks and sets European Fiscal Policy with the ECB. Then London is debatably also equal to NYC.

While possibly the most important Financial institution in the US (The Fed) and the US’s largest bank (Bank of America) isn’t even in NYC.

It’s holding Boston to a much higher standard than other cities.

Nobody ****s on Miami for a non Latin American city claiming to be the Capital of Latin America, or Atlanta the Capital of the South when it’s the 4th largest city in the South.
Apples and oranges.

Atlanta can make the argument for being the Capital of the South because it's the largest metro by a wide margin in the area that has always been considered "Dixie."

As far as Miami, I've only heard it as being the Gateway to Latin America.

That said, amongst major metros, only LA has a larger share of population that is considered Hispanic and that speaks Spanish. However, LA is also still heavily dominated by the Hollywood culture that is predominately white, and the Hispanic/Latino community doesn't have the level of political influence there that they do in Miami. That's why Miami's status is not disputed.

As far as NYC, the differentiator is that the US is still home to the world's reserve currency. For that reason, more stock market transactions come through Wall Street than any other exchange in the world.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:57 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It's ironic you say that, because if there's on thing I've learned about Bostonians in my time as a transplanted New Englander, it's common to hold other cities to a MUCH higher standard than Boston.
People call Boston small when it isn’t. It has basically the same urban footprint as Philly.

People say Boston has bad nightlife because it’s last call is too early. The same last Call as Los Angeles, SF, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Seattle and like a few dozen states.

People act like Boston it has one of the highest and most diverse foreign born populations in the country.

People act like Boston has an artic winter when it’s coldest month has a 34F average high (although many northern cities have this stereotype)

People call cities Capital this capital that just meaning it’s a world leader yet when Bostonians say (no matter how accurately) if it’s pretentious

If I said Boston was a medical/biotech hub or Capital I swear you’d say Lebanon, MO has a CVS so that’s really pretentious.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:59 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Apples and oranges.

Atlanta can make the argument for being the Capital of the South because it's the largest metro by a wide margin in the area that has always been considered "Dixie."

As far as Miami, I've only heard it as being the Gateway to Latin America.

That said, amongst major metros, only LA has the largest share of population that is considered Hispanic and that speaks Spanish. However, LA is also still heavily dominated by the Hollywood culture that is predominately white, and the Hispanic/Latino community doesn't have the level of political influence there that they do in Miami. That's why Miami's status is not disputed.

As far as NYC, the differentiator is that the US is still home to the world's reserve currency. For that reason, more stock market transactions come through Wall Street than any other exchange in the world.
Atlanta in dispute because of Houston.

So basically to be capital you must be an undisputed/able capital though?

Old 02-02-2021, 02:00 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:

So basically to be capital you must be an undisputed/able capital though?
Or Dallas, or Miami or DC

Old 02-02-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
People call Boston small when it isn’t. It has basically the same urban footprint as Philly.

People say Boston has bad nightlife because it’s last call is too early. The same last Call as Los Angeles, SF, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Seattle and like a few dozen states.

People act like Boston it has one of the highest and most diverse foreign born populations in the country.

People act like Boston has an artic winter when it’s coldest month has a 34F average high (although many northern cities have this stereotype)

People call cities Capital this capital that just meaning it’s a world leader yet when Bostonians say (no matter how accurately) if it’s pretentious

If I said Boston was a medical/biotech hub or Capital I swear you’d say Lebanon, MO has a CVS so that’s really pretentious.
As whiny as this sounds, this is all true and verifiable by many posts all over C-D. Many times over.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:01 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Quote:
lol.

This is the first time I've heard anyone say that.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Plains, Latin America, not a regional Capital/US Capital.

I might would say that too but those are the counterarguments that can be levied immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City