Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please choose 2 answers (one for "live" and one from "visit")
Massachusetts to live 101 65.58%
Missouri to live 50 32.47%
Massachusetts to visit 116 75.32%
Missouri to visit 26 16.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 10:53 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Obviously, the Boston institutions are more far-reaching in terms of research policy, development...
It is is true that companies tend to prefer doing their R&D in the US due to favorable regulatory standards at the federal level. However, Higher Education =/= R&D since majority of research & development takes place in the private sector.

That said, when it comes to R&D in Academia specifically, it's actually Paris that leads in R&D expenditures

Paris - 3,159 Billion Euros
Boston - 2.526 Billion Euros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 10:58 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Other than Bostonians (even though this thread isn't supposed to be about just Boston), I don't think people are sitting around being envious of, jealous of, or even thinking about Boston. Never enters my mind, except when I look at this thread. The majority of US citizens can't get into those Boston universities, nor can they get into the U of Chicago, Northwestern, etc. I know people who have children who have gone to U of Chicago, Northwestern, a family member who did a fellowship at Harvard, and (guess what), it's never a topic of conversation. These people have richer, fuller lives, than to brag incessantly, or ever, for that matter. One gets bored, with that, and develops a distaste for whatever it is, that's being bragged about. Truth.
While obviously UMass Boston, Salem State, Community Colleges etc play a much bigger role in education the masses of Massachusetts the plethora of elite private Universities represent a massive capital inflow.

When 75% of BC/BU/NEU/Harvard/MIT/Tufts/Emerson/Berkelee students are out of state that means like 80-85% of Tuition money is basically brought into the state. Same with Rent in student apartments and money spent on restaurants and such.

150,000 residents require a lot of services as well, plumbers, HVAC, Electritians etc. all paid for by out of state money.

Education is a massive export of the United States in general.

Beyond direct fiscal impacts they attract companies to town that also fill their ranks with Fitchburg State Grads alongside MIT and BU grads. Those companies that support Massachusetts generous UI scheme and Mass Health, and public schools which benifit everyone.

Kendall Sq nor the Seaport would not look like it does today without Boston’s Universities.

It’s not bragging about prestige it has a real impact.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
BTW, you're both proving the very point sub made. It's not so much about Boston and other cities in the NE being the center of the universe, but rather the toxic aura of pretentiousness folks like yourself tend to have about the city/region's advantages and the insistent need to try hard at proving something when people suggest you're not as good as you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Is that really that hard to understand?

Quote:
CMon, its Boston.
This is another issue I have with Boston.

Besides the toxic aura of pretentiousness and the incessant need to try hard at proving something, it's the inability of Bostonians like yourself to just admit you were factually incorrect about your city.

Boston seems to always get a pass for being smug and its needless boasting by the posters on C-D because of the overwhelming bias in favor of urban cities with outdoor activities and the fact that certain minorities make up a relatively tiny portion of the city/region's population.

But I'm not one of those posters.

Last edited by citidata18; 02-02-2021 at 11:12 AM..

Old 02-02-2021, 11:12 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
This is another issue I have with Boston.

Besides the toxic aura of pretentiousness and the incessant need to try hard at proving something, it's the inability of Bostonians like yourself to just admit you were factually incorrect about your city.

Boston seems to always get a pass for being smug and its needless boasting by the typical poster on C-D because of the overwhelming bias in favor of urban cities with outdoor activities and the fact that certain minorities make up a relatively tiny portion of the city/region's population.

I don’t get how the argument “London might be comparable” is a scathing critique of Bostonians claiming for being the world leader in education.

Seems like if you need to go to London to find a city with comparable educational assests seems like Bostonians have a pretty reasonable view of their city.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:17 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times
I'm just waiting for a response to my link to hills in Missouri...a response to the Boston poster, who said one can't hike in Missouri, they can only walk. A good illustration of the superiority felt by some Boston "advocates." Actually, so ridiculous, it's amusing (i.e. laughable).

Old 02-02-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I don’t get how the argument “London might be comparable” is a scathing critique of Bostonians claiming for being the world leader in education.
You don't get the argument because that wasn't the argument.

If it was proclaimed that Boston is the Education Capital of the US, then fine, I think that's probably accurate. But when you definitively say Boston is the Education Capital of the Universe and then it gets proven wrong, it seems awfully thin-skinned and full of one's self to keep arguing about it instead of just saying "Ok, I stand corrected."

Old 02-02-2021, 11:24 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
You don't get the argument because that wasn't the argument.

If it was proclaimed that Boston is the Education Capital of the US, then fine, I think that's probably accurate. But when you definitively say Boston is the Education Capital of the Universe and then it gets proven wrong, it seems awfully thin-skinned and full of one's self to keep arguing about it instead of just saying "Ok, I stand corrected."
I can find links that will tell you it's Boston. People voting in the World Forum are saying Boston. Two of the top 2 schools if not the two top two schools in the universe are 3 miles from Boston.

Boston. There's no correction to be made.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
overwhelming bias in favor of urban cities with outdoor activities and the fact that certain minorities make up a relatively tiny portion of the city/region's population.

Bias toward vibrant, approachable/walkable, productive, places where you can get outdoor and live a well-rounded, healthy lifestyle relatively easily... while having access to modern creature comforts and the world's greatest educational institutions?

What a terrible bias to have. Totally concocted and contrived I tell you.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:31 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times
Quote:
I can find links that will tell you it's Boston. People voting in the World Forum are saying Boston. Two of the top 2 schools if not the two top two schools in the universe are 3 miles from Boston.

Boston. There's no correction to be made.
Not quite the top two. Chicago also has two in the top ten. Not too shabby.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Not quite the top two. Chicago also has two in the top ten. Not too shabby.
Bring it up with US News https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ities/rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City