Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please choose 2 answers (one for "live" and one from "visit")
Massachusetts to live 101 65.58%
Missouri to live 50 32.47%
Massachusetts to visit 116 75.32%
Missouri to visit 26 16.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 08:22 PM

6,817 posts, read 6,054,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I love all three of those cities, but Newburyport and Salem are part of the Boston MSA/NECTA.
Both have independent divisions within Boston’s NECTA, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 07:04 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
I love all three of those cities, but Newburyport and Salem are part of the Boston MSA/NECTA. Newburyport is especially expensive, but Salem isn't too bad, if you don't mind having a smaller home than what you'd get in MO. The regular train service and the beautiful downtown would be worth it for me.

Northampton is great and it's part of the Springfield MSA - Although it's a bit more expensive than West Springfield or Westfield, it has some unbeatable cultural amenities.
I lived in Northampton for a bit in the early 1990s. I know a number of physicians in the Springfield hospitals. It’s either Longmeadow where you go to die or more socioeconomically mixed Northampton that has a pulse. Anything else along the Connecticut River between those points is pretty sketchy.

Stockbridge and Lenox is nice in a trustifarian and NYC summer community way but it’s a very limited economy.

I haven’t spent much time in Salem. Jury duty a couple of times. I never had any reason to go there.

It’s tough to find the mix of affordable, good schools, and a high paying job beyond health care or legal that exists everywhere. With telecommuting but needing schools, Mattapoisett/Marion is pretty affordable coastal town. The demographics are the usual 60%+ college educated adults that make for the stronger school system. The regional middle and high schools are good but not to gold plated Boston suburban level.

I’m a salt water person. I put a premium on good boating and swimable water. IMO, anything north of Provincetown is mediocre boating and the ocean is frigid. I used to line on the back channel in Portsmouth NH so I’m no stranger to the frigid water.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:57 AM

1,094 posts, read 884,586 times
Messachusetts? No way.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:20 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
Messachusetts? No way.
Given your threads in other forum.. too liberal up in the Northeast?

Old 02-05-2021, 03:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
3600sft with a fenced in yard and everything completely remodeled within walking distance to shops, dining and transit? So terrible.

7 people and 3 bathrooms sounds terrible, I'm not about sharing bathrooms maybe in my college days but not anymore.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
7 people and 3 bathrooms sounds terrible, I'm not about sharing bathrooms maybe in my college days but not anymore.
Well Im (was) younger than 25. So..

Old 02-09-2021, 06:33 AM

1,048 posts, read 689,005 times
Quote:
Well Im (was) younger than 25. So..
That's what scares me about moving back to the Boston area. What if, hypothetically, I fall on hard times and need to rent. Do I really want to rent with 7 other people? I'd do it if I didn't have a choice, but it's certainly not ideal at all.

At least in many places in MO, I'd be able to afford a one bedroom.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:27 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,526,037 times
Being objective and not going on image alone.........
COL: MO
QOL (probably the most important): MO. Yes it's the most important. But a high COL affects QOL more profoundly than any single category.
Cities: MO. KC/STL vs. Boston, MO wins (IMO)
Suburbs: Tie
Rural Areas: Tie
Transportation: MA
Public Schools: MA
Higher Ed: MA
Economy: MA, but not by as big a margin as many would think
Arts/Culture: MA. But KC has some incredible museums.
Things to do: MO overall as a state
Nightlife: N/A
Shopping: MA
Sports: MA
Food/Cuisine: Tie
Outdoors: MO, by a nose
Climate: MO
Crime: MA
State government: MO
Local government: MO

Which state would you prefer to live in? MO
Which state would you prefer to visit on vacation? MA

We lived in MA for a year and a half and have visited MO many times over the decades. Both have their pluses and minuses. But MO is a better fit for us. MA is just too darn expensive, people aren't as friendly, and it too Liberal for our tastes. Very little diversity of thought. To me, all of that lowers MA's QOL. But still, it has its merits. The single biggest thing I don't like about MO is how incredibly landlocked it is. But MO is very underrated, IMO.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
That's what scares me about moving back to the Boston area. What if, hypothetically, I fall on hard times and need to rent. Do I really want to rent with 7 other people? I'd do it if I didn't have a choice, but it's certainly not ideal at all.

At least in many places in MO, I'd be able to afford a one bedroom.
You can split a two bedroom and it would be 1k pp

Old 02-09-2021, 09:04 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
You can split a two bedroom and it would be 1k pp
Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's ideal. Many people simply want their own place (which is understandable) and the fact is that it's far easier to do that in MO than MA. You can your own decent 1br/1ba in good part of Kansas City for $700/800. I'd definitely rank Boston ahead of KC as a city, but it shouldn't be too hard to see why having your own 1br at $700 within walking distance to shopping, dining, nightlife, etc. in KC would be more appealing than paying $1000 to share a place with a roommate in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City