Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is the most comparable to Ohio?
Indiana 79 38.16%
Michigan 45 21.74%
Pennsylvania 60 28.99%
West Virginia 5 2.42%
Kentucky 4 1.93%
Other 14 6.76%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 07:57 AM

29 posts, read 13,994 times

Advertisements

Ohio is like indiana in many spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 08:10 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,145,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Except for Sleeping Bear dunes, Ohio's Lake Erie coast offers everything Michigan's west coast has.
Really?

Put what Ohio has equivalent to the following on Michigan's west coast:

New Buffalo

Grand Haven

Holland

South Haven

St. Joseph

Muskegon

Silver Lake Sand Dunes

Saugatuck

Pentwater

Ludington

Frankfort

Manistee

Arcadia

Empire

Leland

Northport

Traverse City

Charlevoix

Elk Rapids

Bay Shore

Bay Harbor

Petoskey

Harbor Springs

Beaver Island

Old 05-10-2021, 06:49 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Really?

Put what Ohio has equivalent to the following on Michigan's west coast:

New Buffalo

Grand Haven

Holland

South Haven

St. Joseph

Muskegon

Silver Lake Sand Dunes

Saugatuck

Pentwater

Ludington

Frankfort

Manistee

Arcadia

Empire

Leland

Northport

Traverse City

Charlevoix

Elk Rapids

Bay Shore

Bay Harbor

Petoskey

Harbor Springs

Beaver Island

Ohio has similar towns along the Lake Erie coast from Toledo to the Pennsylvania border. Have you ever actually visited some of the towns? The Bass Islands? Marblehead? Geneva-On-The-Lake? Sandusky? Port Clinton? Vermillion?

Old 05-10-2021, 07:38 AM

11,068 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
Ohio has similar towns along the Lake Erie coast from Toledo to the Pennsylvania border. Have you ever actually visited some of the towns? The Bass Islands? Marblehead? Geneva-On-The-Lake? Sandusky? Port Clinton? Vermillion?
Exactly. I really don't understand why everything in Ohio is assumed to be worse than elsewhere.

Speaking of lake access, where I live in Cleveland, we have parks and beaches along the lake for miles (basically from E 156th all the way to E 232nd). It's just not for visitors and most people have no clue it's there. Feels like a secluded small town within the city proper back there. I don't know of any other city with anything similar.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:07 AM

259 posts, read 161,358 times
Quote:
I would say Ohio has many, just not in the quantity that Michigan has.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:19 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
I would say Ohio has many, just not in the quantity that Michigan has.
Some of those Michigan towns on Lake Michigan are economically depressed areas. So I would say some do not offer much for sightseeing.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:27 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Some of those Michigan towns on Lake Michigan are economically depressed areas. So I would say some do not offer much for sightseeing.

I feel most people feel that way more about Ohio.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:31 AM

11,068 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I feel most people feel that way more about Ohio.
There are a lot of moronic ideas about Ohio on here so you're probably right.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:07 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,145,278 times
Quote:
Yes, I lived in Cleveland for 3 years. I've visited all of them. I am not saying that Ohio does not have some beach towns on the North Coast (as you guys like to say). However, the notion that it compares to the West Coast of Michigan is simply untrue.

Most people in Metro Detroit who go to the North Coast of Ohio have only 1 destination in mind - Cedar Point.
I guess the 5 million people in Detroit's CSA are missing out by not visiting those Ohio towns which are actually closer to them than those on Lake Michigan. You guys should start a public relations campaign which says "Visit Lake Erie, it has everything to offer as the West Coast of Michigan." Would love to see the success rate.

Look, all kidding aside, I like Ohio and as a person who lives in the Great Lakes Region, I am all for promoting what the region has. I think Ohio is a great state with great people, 3 large metropolitan areas with 2 of them having great history and architecture. The roads are good, great universities, etc. However, we can agree to disagree that the North Coast of Ohio has as much to offer as Lake Michigan. Neither one of us is losing out here. You can visit the North Coast and enjoy yourself, and I will visit Michigan's coastal towns instead. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:51 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,847,652 times
Quote:
Except for Sleeping Bear dunes, Ohio's Lake Erie coast offers everything Michigan's west coast has.
Mmm. Yeah, no.

Michigan's west coast is phenomenal. Condé Nast Traveler has ranked at least one Lake Michigan beach among the top 25 in the world.

https://www.saugatuckcity.com/oval-beach.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City