Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is the most comparable to Ohio?
Indiana 79 38.16%
Michigan 45 21.74%
Pennsylvania 60 28.99%
West Virginia 5 2.42%
Kentucky 4 1.93%
Other 14 6.76%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 06:44 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,490,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Miami U is and was known as a party school. It is not where top high school students went.

Ohio's premier university is Case-Western.
Miami talks about itself like it's basically an elite school, but it is definitely a party school. A more selective party school, but a party school all the same. The premier university here is either Case or Ohio State, depending on how we are defining "premier."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 07:27 AM

7,283 posts, read 10,624,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I have never once in my life heard anyone use the term "Interior northeast" in conversation. Sorry Pennsylvanians. Pittsburgh does indeed have some midwest vibes to it, if you consider Cincinnati and St Louis midwestern, then Pittsburgh certainly has some similar things going on. Hate to bring you guys down to our lowly level though. We know there is zero overlap between PA and any other state, especially not Ohio. Interior Northeast it is!

Inb4 hills and colonies
In all fairness, the term "interior Northeast" is really based on a more nuanced understanding of American geography that's outside of most folks' knowledge or interest, so yeah, you're not likely to hear that term come up outside of a group of "geography nerds." It's certainly not intended to mean there's no overlap with a state like Ohio, but I think it's also fair to point out that Pennsylvania is generally accepted to be in a separate and distinct geographic region.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-22-2021 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-22-2021, 09:15 AM

811 posts, read 892,928 times
Quote:
Appalachia starts in Clermont county.
True. According to the ARC...I would consider Clermont Appalachian Lite. The further East and South one goes from Cincinnati, the further you are into Appalachia.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:57 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,638,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
True. According to the ARC...I would consider Clermont Appalachian Lite. The further East and South one goes from Cincinnati, the further you are into Appalachia.
I used to live in Hamilton county 1 mile from the Clermont county border. I noticed a change in "culture" within 5-6 miles into Clermont county.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:15 AM

811 posts, read 892,928 times
Quote:
I used to live in Hamilton county 1 mile from the Clermont county border. I noticed a change in "culture" within 5-6 miles into Clermont county.
Yes, I know what you’re saying. I worked with a person from Adams County and her accent sounded like she was from Tennessee. I asked where she was from and she said Adams County and I was like, Ohio?! Southern Ohio has a Southern sounding accent to me and the culture and terrain could confuse me to believe I was in Tennessee.

Southern and SE parts of Ohio would be more similar to Kentucky.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:15 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,490,814 times
Quote:
Yes, I know what you’re saying. I worked with a person from Adams County and her accent sounded like she was from Tennessee. I asked where she was from and she said Adams County and I was like, Ohio?! Southern Ohio has a Southern sounding accent to me and the culture and terrain could confuse me to believe I was in Tennessee.

Southern and SE parts of Ohio would be more similar to Kentucky.
My roommate in college was from Richwood, OH, about 45 minutes north and slightly west of Columbus. He and his friends all had some very weird accents, definitely a kind of twang. There are a lot of different sounds in Ohio, the more you travel around.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:16 PM

995 posts, read 786,839 times
Quote:
Miami U is and was known as a party school. It is not where top high school students went.

Ohio's premier university is Case-Western.
I was referring to public universities. Miami was, from what I recall, Ohio's highest rated public university until Ohio State upped its academic profile. No doubt, Case is the premier university in Ohio even today.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
I was referring to public universities. Miami was, from what I recall, Ohio's highest rated public university until Ohio State upped its academic profile.
I cannot believe that. None of the top students in my high school even considered Miami. Miami is where you went to party.

Old 03-23-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Going back 30-40 years, I used to have some friends who got a big kick out of observing the "Adams County crowd" at the Eastgate mall in Cincinnati. This was like the Clampett family arriving in Beverly Hills.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:28 PM

7,084 posts, read 8,966,057 times
Quote:
I cannot believe that. None of the top students in my high school even considered Miami. Miami is where you went to party.
When I got out of high school about 40 years ago the preppy kids went to Miami, people went to Ohio University to party, I went to UC because I had a job at Kings Island running rides and I had a lot of friends that were already going there.
Quote:
Going back 30-40 years, I used to have some friends who got a big kick out of observing the "Adams County crowd" at the Eastgate mall in Cincinnati. This was like the Clampett family arriving in Beverly Hills.
When I was in college I worked at Brendamour’s sporting goods at the Beechmont mall, we used to interchange employees a lot with the Eastgate store, we used to refer to the Clermont County hicks as CCers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City