Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is the most comparable to Ohio?
Indiana 79 38.16%
Michigan 45 21.74%
Pennsylvania 60 28.99%
West Virginia 5 2.42%
Kentucky 4 1.93%
Other 14 6.76%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 12:41 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,530,145 times

Advertisements

I voted Indiana. I have never been to either. I know Hawkings, Indiana is a fictional place, but I always just think of Stranger Things when I think of Indiana. Also Larry Bird. I could see Ohio having lots of tiny towns like that. PA does too, but eastern PA is a very far way away from Ohio and most PA people live on the eastern side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 01:31 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,134,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I voted Indiana. I have never been to either. I know Hawkings, Indiana is a fictional place, but I always just think of Stranger Things when I think of Indiana. Also Larry Bird. I could see Ohio having lots of tiny towns like that. PA does too, but eastern PA is a very far way away from Ohio and most PA people live on the eastern side.
So basically you voted based on a fictional place and what Ohio looks like in your imagination .

Sadly I think most posters claiming Ohio is most similar to Indiana are doing just that. They’re basing their ideas on how the states are depicted in pop culture. Sure Pawnee Indiana from Parks and Rec could easily be Ohio or Indiana, and the depiction of Scranton PA from the Office seems different than the fictionalized versions of the Midwest. The problem is these depictions aren’t reality. When you have people who live in these states telling you their reality, you say we must be ashamed to be associated with the Midwest, because in your minds our experiences don’t match with your perceptions.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 03-19-2021 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-19-2021, 02:07 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,477,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
The Ohio posters are doing exactly what they accuse "PA homers" of doing with regards to Ohio, except they are running- sprinting practically- away from their own close association with Indiana. The delusions and lack of self reflection are both humorous and breathtaking.
I don't know a soul in Indiana and I've been there exactly once (Bloomington, lovely town). The only routine Indiana connection I hear from people is they went to Notre Dame. THe major population centers of the state have not much in common with Indiana- Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, Cincinnati really have no Indiana feeling at all and Toledo could easily be Michigan- you can say Dayton and Columbus maybe and then a bunch of tiny towns over out there. I really don't know why people are telling natives that they don't know their own state. That is what's breathtaking. I highly doubt you, or most of the people commenting, have ever been here, let alone been more than a couple places. People do not realize how different Ohio can be unless they've been around a while.

Old 03-19-2021, 03:53 PM

71 posts, read 45,806 times
You're right, I haven't been to Ohio in almost two decades. Most people from Pennsylvania have little reason to go. I'm from Pittsburgh, too. I imagine people from the Philly area,where the large majority of Pennsylvanians live, are even more disconnected from your state.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:57 PM

21,698 posts, read 12,836,228 times
michigan

Old 03-19-2021, 08:19 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,477,705 times
[quote=bjimmy24;60632539]All I can say is that I have not once felt where I am from in Ohio was anything remotely similar to Indiana ever in my life. My whole point from all my posts is that it is not easy to say one state is really comparable. I have resisted this Indiana push because it frankly seems bizarre to me. Especially when you look at where the population in Ohio is concentrated. Nobody is saying Ohio is PA or anywhere else. Ohio has a lot of different looks, sounds, views etc. This notion that it is somehow Indiana Jr is crazy to me.

This sounds like a major MAJOR exaggeration to me. Now, to be fair, I've never been to Indiana or Ohio. They are two of the 3 Midwestern states I've yet to visit (the other one being Michigan) but I find it a major stretch to say that there's no comparisons. Hell, out of curiosity I did a random streetview on a random Indiana town to see what it reminded me of (New Castle, IN) and it literally reminded me of Saint Paul, Minnesota. So if a part of Indiana can remind me of Minnesota, how could no part of Indiana remind you of Ohio? You live in Cleveland... is that not comparable to Gary at least???

Hell, a Christmas Story is set in Indiana but filmed in Cleveland, and I doubt most Ohioans or Indianans could tell the difference.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,477,705 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRuYtRUypoc

This video coincidentally showed up on my recommendations.

I voted Indiana but I never been to Ohio or any of its neighbouring states. This is just an assumption from what I can gather. I been to Illinois though and I can't imagine Indiana or Ohio being too foreign in comparison.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:36 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,321,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRuYtRUypoc

This video coincidentally showed up on my recommendations.

I voted Indiana but I never been to Ohio or any of its neighbouring states. This is just an assumption from what I can gather. I been to Illinois though and I can't imagine Indiana or Ohio being too foreign in comparison.

Thanks for sharing that video, that was an informative comparison.

I think the biggest takeaway the youtuber cited is that 75% of Pennsylvanians live in the Eastern half of the state which is nothing like the midwest whatsoever.

Pennsylvania and New York have the most in common over Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Scranton, PA and Binghamton, NY

Erie and Buffalo

Philadelphia and NYC

Harrisburg and Albany

Poconos and Adirondacks

Northern Tier, PA and Southern Tier, NY

West Chester, PA and West Chester, NY suburbs

Williamsport, PA and Elmira, NY

State College, PA and Ithaca, NY

are just a few examples.

Both PA and NY have one major large city with other smaller metros. Both have similar topography. (Yes NY has Amish too upstate). Both have a colonial history and architecture. And both have more foreign born residents. And upstate NY also is considered "rust belt" with lots of old manufacturing cities and towns.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 03-20-2021 at 03:46 AM..

Old 03-20-2021, 07:36 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,477,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
You're right, I haven't been to Ohio in almost two decades. Most people from Pennsylvania have little reason to go. I'm from Pittsburgh, too. I imagine people from the Philly area,where the large majority of Pennsylvanians live, are even more disconnected from your state.
Right, you admit you have no idea what you're talking about. It's obvious.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:49 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,134,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braybarton View Post
When I was in college in Pittsburgh, most out of state students were from NJ and MD, followed by other northeastern states.It's actually surprising that there weren't more from Ohio, given the proximity, though Ohio has no shortage of colleges.

My college played other Catholic colleges in PA and NY for the most part.
That’s interesting. The vast majority of people I know who went out of state for college went to the East Coast, not the Midwest. Places like Boston, upstate NY, DC and North Carolina are where most of my high school classmates went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City