Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is the most comparable to Ohio?
Indiana 79 38.16%
Michigan 45 21.74%
Pennsylvania 60 28.99%
West Virginia 5 2.42%
Kentucky 4 1.93%
Other 14 6.76%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 09:29 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,338,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
That’s interesting. The vast majority of people I know who went out of state for college went to the East Coast, not the Midwest. Places like Boston, upstate NY, DC and North Carolina are where most of my high school classmates went.
New Jersey and Maryland have a pretty solid education system but they kind of have a smaller network of higher education institution variety so you actually find many people from NY, NJ and MD go to school in Pennsylvania.

I believe Penn State even, has nearly 50% of its students from out of state.

I believe Pennsylvania is ranked #3 for most higher education institutions in the nation.

And again.. Pittsburgh is not the midwest. It is considered the interior Northeast.

And as I have said and other posters noted, most of Pennsylvania lives in its Eastern section which is solid Northeast and Mid Atlantic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 08:56 PM

996 posts, read 792,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
New Jersey and Maryland have a pretty solid education system but they kind of have a smaller network of higher education institution variety so you actually find many people from NY, NJ and MD go to school in Pennsylvania.

I believe Pennsylvania is ranked #3 for most higher education institutions in the nation.

And again.. Pittsburgh is not the midwest. It is considered the interior Northeast.

And as I have said and other posters noted, most of Pennsylvania lives in its Eastern section which is solid Northeast and Mid Atlantic...
I wouldn't doubt that less kids from Ohio go to colleges in Pa, than those from NJ or Maryland because like you said Ohio has no shortage of options. And now that Ohio State has become a pretty selective and semi elite school, even less incentive to leave due to instate costs being lower.

But back in the 90s, when OSU was still taking anybody with a pulse, really the only public option for more elite students was Miami University. Miami still is up there in terms of academics but has been way surpassed by OSU. So then, the option was Miami, a handful of elite small liberal arts schools or another of the big instate publics depending on major (they each have some specialized majors that were highly regarded).

So 20 years ago, i would imagine a lot more instate students left. Im not sure what the breakdown would be but antecodally, i would guess the top would be split between University of Michigan and University of Chicago/Northwestern in the Midwest and then to the East Coast (or Cornell).

I'll say this. I went to Youngstown State for a couple of years and while it was mostly Youngstown area dominated. There were alot of people i met from Western Pa. (Obviously Sharon/Farrell/New Castle) but a lot from Pittsburgh (Schenley, Woodland Hills, McKeesport were some of the HS i remember people being from). There were probably more people from Pa. there than from Cleveland. Actually a couple of my good friends were from NYC (one was from Englewood NJ via the Bronx, one from Queens and one from Brooklyn).

Kent State is Cleveland/Akron/Canton dominated but I also spent a lot of time there due to knowing people and it being the party school). There were a lot of people from Pittsburgh there and Maryland. Maybe Maryland was a coincidence but not as much Pa., because it was one of the areas Kent made a push, outside of NE Ohio, where it drew from.

Btw, you keep up bringing up NY. I don't think anybody overall is gonna argue that Pa. Is more similar to Ohio than it is NY. But if you take NYC/Philly out of the equation, the rest of NY and Pa. Is a lot closer to NE Ohio than many on here would like to believe. While still some colonial differences are still there for sure in the non Philly/NYC parts of those states, that's really the only big argument at that point. Not like Allentown/Scranton/Poughkeepsie/Binghamton, etc., are some ultra sophisticated high end metros (granted Philly isn't either). Once you get to like Altoona or Syracuse and west in either state, the differences are even less as "Colonial" only carries weight being located in a Colonial state. Plus, while the East is not a monolithic region, neither is the Midwest. A lot of overlap between interior East and Great Lakes (Rust Belt) Midwest.

Its funny too that the the couple people posting on this thread from Northeast Ohio are all pretty much saying the same thing. Maybe there is something too it (outside of pulling up a map and seeing how close Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Buffalo) are on the map? Not sure where the others are from but im from the westside of Cleveland so, as I have pointed out a couple times, very strong ties to the auto industry (Detroit), but I'd actually argue Detroit belongs in that group where its that middle zone. Though that's is more of a stretch based not only on geography but it is a little more Midwest in culture as well. But Michigan is 1b to Pa's 1a on my list of what overall Ohio would be most comparable, though I've said it like 3 times Ohio is mostly where what part you are from because it can go several different ways.

Indiana would be third (maybe land wise first, but definitely not population wise).

Really, this is all semantics. Not like the cultural differences in any US region are like there is in say Europe where in the same amount of land area we are arguing over, there are like a dozen of language barrier differences, lol.

Last edited by ClevelandBrown; 03-20-2021 at 09:04 PM..

Old 03-20-2021, 09:05 PM

11,078 posts, read 12,536,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

Hell, a Christmas Story is set in Indiana but filmed in Cleveland, and I doubt most Ohioans or Indianans could tell the difference.
That's funny, because the exact same neighborhood has also been used to represent Pittsburgh in the Deer Hunter.

Pittsburgh = Cleveland.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:07 PM

11,078 posts, read 12,536,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

I have never once in my life heard anyone use the term "Interior northeast" in conversation. Sorry Pennsylvanians. Pittsburgh does indeed have some midwest vibes to it, if you consider Cincinnati and St Louis midwestern, then Pittsburgh certainly has some similar things going on. Hate to bring you guys down to our lowly level though. We know there is zero overlap between PA and any other state, especially not Ohio. Interior Northeast it is!

Inb4 hills and colonies

Old 03-20-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
That's funny, because the exact same neighborhood has also been used to represent Pittsburgh in the Deer Hunter.

Pittsburgh = Cleveland.
You learn something new. Grew up like 2-3 miles from Tremont and always thought Christmas Story was Cleveland Street (W. 11th in reality) but set in Chicago.

But that makes sense. Ohio=Indiana because Hammond is the quintessential Indiana town, nestled right between Gary, East Chicago, Calumet City and the south side of the city of Chicago.

Thats facetious but actually those areas I mentioned do also share similar qualities to Cleveland... and Pittsburgh, and Detroit, and Buffalo. Hammond (or Gary) probably the least "Indiana" city you can find.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:07 AM

Bjimmy,

Come on. You're telling me exterior Midwest isn't a thing???

Old 03-21-2021, 01:47 AM

2,516 posts, read 3,413,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
You learn something new. Grew up like 2-3 miles from Tremont and always thought Christmas Story was Cleveland Street (W. 11th in reality) but set in Chicago.

But that makes sense. Ohio=Indiana because Hammond is the quintessential Indiana town, nestled right between Gary, East Chicago, Calumet City and the south side of the city of Chicago.

Thats facetious but actually those areas I mentioned do also share similar qualities to Cleveland... and Pittsburgh, and Detroit, and Buffalo. Hammond (or Gary) probably the least "Indiana" city you can find.
As a Miller Beach home owner...NWIndiana is both more Pittsburgh/Chicago than it is Indiana/Ohio....put that in your pipe

Old 03-21-2021, 07:42 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,791,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braybarton View Post
Of course you haven't because people generically equate Northeast with East Coast, leaving out of most of the real estate.
The more established term is Mid Atlantic, which has been used for a long long time. It overlaps with the east coast though, so that is where "interior northeast" is used by some people to make the distinction between near the coast and further inland.

It's pretty unnecessary though - the official Northeast is already the smallest geographical region in the country, as it is. So just simply using Northeast is really the more reasonable way to say it -- the way that people usually only use the term Midwest, not the subregions. And the midwest is a GIGANTIC land area compared to the Northeast.

https://www.worldatlas.com/r/w1200-h...-354532898.jpg

Old 03-22-2021, 06:20 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,662,806 times
[quote=ClevelandBrown;60646855

But back in the 90s, when OSU was still taking anybody with a pulse, really the only public option for more elite students was Miami University. Miami still is up there in terms of academics but has been way surpassed by OSU. So then, the option was Miami, a handful of elite small liberal arts schools or another of the big instate publics depending on major (they each have some specialized majors that were highly regarded).

So 20 years ago, i would imagine a lot more instate students left. Im not sure what the breakdown would be but antecodally, i would guess the top would be split between University of Michigan and University of Chicago/Northwestern in the Midwest and then to the East Coast (or Cornell).

[/QUOTE]

Miami U is and was known as a party school. It is not where top high school students went.

Ohio's premier university is Case-Western.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:23 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,662,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Cincinnati has an upland South flavor, quite similar to Louisville, KY. In my opinion, Louisville is just a smaller Cincinnati.

Going East on Ohio 32 through Clermont and Adams county, it gets similar in feel to places in Eastern Kentucky, but not quite as impoverished. Once you get to Portsmouth you are firmly within Appalachia.
Appalachia starts in Clermont county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City