Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is the most comparable to Ohio?
Indiana 79 38.16%
Michigan 45 21.74%
Pennsylvania 60 28.99%
West Virginia 5 2.42%
Kentucky 4 1.93%
Other 14 6.76%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 12:59 PM

23,634 posts, read 24,188,341 times

Advertisements

Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 04:19 PM

995 posts, read 788,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
After working in national sales for many years, including southern Ohio, I am always shocked to hear so many Southern-sounding accents in and around Cincinnati, Hamilton and Middletown, even if farcical.
There is even a Dixie Highway and a Dixie High School down there. The Dixie High School is actually just outside Dayton, so Dayton is probably the most north the upland South culture exists, though Dayton overall is a more typical industrial Midwest area. Everything north of Dayton is that flat "quintessential Midwest" flat farm terrain.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:18 PM

811 posts, read 894,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Ohio mostly makes me think of heavy industries so Michigan, Indiana, or Illinois are most similar. Cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Gary, and Chicago have a similar feel to me, in the sense of architecture, layout, and atmosphere. The weather is comparable too and so are crime rates. Basically, all are traditional rust-belt.
What about the rest of Ohio that has nothing to do with Cleveland? Cleveland is more the anomaly in Ohio.

I agree with you that Cleveland reminds me of places like Gary, IN and parts of Michigan but outside Cuyahoga County, It gets different quick.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:22 PM

811 posts, read 894,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
There is even a Dixie Highway and a Dixie High School down there. The Dixie High School is actually just outside Dayton, so Dayton is probably the most north the upland South culture exists, though Dayton overall is a more typical industrial Midwest area. Everything north of Dayton is that flat "quintessential Midwest" flat farm terrain.
Cincinnati has an upland South flavor, quite similar to Louisville, KY. In my opinion, Louisville is just a smaller Cincinnati.

Going East on Ohio 32 through Clermont and Adams county, it gets similar in feel to places in Eastern Kentucky, but not quite as impoverished. Once you get to Portsmouth you are firmly within Appalachia.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:23 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,507,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
What about the rest of Ohio that has nothing to do with Cleveland? Cleveland is more the anomaly in Ohio.

I agree with you that Cleveland reminds me of places like Gary, IN and parts of Michigan but outside Cuyahoga County, It gets different quick.
Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, Toledo all have quite a lot of heavy industry. That is not a small percentage of the state's population. That's probably 1/3 of Ohio's population right there.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:51 PM

2,513 posts, read 3,401,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Eh not really imo.

Pennsylvania and New York are twins.

Pennsylvania was a colonial state. Ohio was not, so that is the main reason you see so many differences.

Pennsylvania has a strong colonial history.

Ohio is a Great Lake north midwestern state. Pennsylvania is a Northeastern/Mid Atlantic state.

Pittsburgh is not the midwest. Never will be and never was.
My Father is a Pittsburgher. in fact I am the first male in my Dads line not born in Pittsburgh since 1790. I have asked dozens of friends and family members if they think Pittsburgh is more Midwestern or Eastern. Not one said Eastern.

Pittsburghers are nice..Midwestern nice..unlike iumm..Philadelphians (where I lived briefly.

Pittsburgh is way more connected to the Midwest historically. If you get on a raft in downtown Pittsburgh you will find yourself in Ohio..not the East Coast.

Old 03-14-2021, 07:48 PM

14,194 posts, read 22,807,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
My Father is a Pittsburgher. in fact I am the first male in my Dads line not born in Pittsburgh since 1790. I have asked dozens of friends and family members if they think Pittsburgh is more Midwestern or Eastern. Not one said Eastern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Pittsburgh is way more connected to the Midwest historically. If you get on a raft in downtown Pittsburgh you will find yourself in Ohio..not the East Coast.
And if you get on a raft in Great Falls, MT you'll end up in Missouri, not the West Coast. If Pittsburgh is a Midwestern city, then so is Great Falls, MT. By the way, Raleigh and Little Rock have different histories, but that doesn't change the fact that they're both Southern cities. Speaking of Southern cities, I guess Pueblo, CO is one too, since you'll end up in Arkansas if you get on a raft there.

Bottom line, if you're located in one of the 13 original colonies, then you're not in the Midwest. Same goes for Buffalo and Rochester. No amount of disdain for Philadelphia or any other city on the coast changes this either. If the South and the West can have interior regions, then so can the Northeast. The Northeast doesn't end at I-81.

Connections to Ohio should not be conflated with connections to the entire Midwest.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:46 PM

995 posts, read 788,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

And if you get on a raft in Great Falls, MT you'll end up in Missouri, not the West Coast. If Pittsburgh is a Midwestern city, then so is Great Falls, MT. By the way, Raleigh and Little Rock have different histories, but that doesn't change the fact that they're both Southern cities. Speaking of Southern cities, I guess Pueblo, CO is one too, since you'll end up in Arkansas if you get on a raft there.

Bottom line, if you're located in one of the 13 original colonies, then you're not in the Midwest. Same goes for Buffalo and Rochester. No amount of disdain for Philadelphia or any other city on the coast changes this either. If the South and the West can have interior regions, then so can the Northeast. The Northeast doesn't end at I-81.

Connections to Ohio should not be conflated with connections to the entire Midwest.
Pittsburgh, while now in Pennsylvania, was not a colonial city. It was in ironically, Ohio Country, and was a small settlement on the western frontier that was founded by the French who expanded east from the Mississippi River (Duquense isn't exactly a colonial British name). It became a part of Pennsylvania in 1785.

With that, I agree that Pittsburgh isn't Midwestern, but it also isn't an eastern city. Seems like people are so fixated on hard, arbitrary boundaries when cultural identities don't strictly align to those.

Raleigh and Little Rock actually is a horrible comparison. But you probably think that Cleveland is more similar to Des Moines than it is Pittsburgh.

Last edited by ClevelandBrown; 03-14-2021 at 09:00 PM..

Old 03-14-2021, 09:06 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,144,182 times
From the standpoint of politics, as well as population size Pennsylvania is the closest match to Ohio. Both states have a fair number of bright blue areas surrounded by deep red areas, and both of their state governments have been highly gerrymandered so their state government tends to be a lot more republican than the state as a whole. Both have Northern, Southern, Great Lakes, and Appalachian elements. Both states have several major cities and several secondary cities, as well as large rural areas. Both states have unusually large Amish populations. The obvious big difference is Philadelphia and the surrounding area, which has no real parallel in Ohio.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:28 PM

2,513 posts, read 3,401,647 times
As stated above Pittsburgh lay outside the original Pennsylvania colony. In fact it was disputed territory..Virgina laid claim to the area.

Pittsburgh is historically connected to Cincinnati down the river. Both were settled by Revolutionary War settlers.

My Mom is from Cincinnati and my Dad is from Pittsburgh. I should know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City