Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is the most comparable to Ohio?
Indiana 79 38.16%
Michigan 45 21.74%
Pennsylvania 60 28.99%
West Virginia 5 2.42%
Kentucky 4 1.93%
Other 14 6.76%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 08:13 AM

7,077 posts, read 8,939,481 times

Advertisements

The area where I live is definitely most like Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 08:22 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
But this is the problem, Columbus may very well feel like Indianapolis... but is that anything like Cleveland or Cincinnati? Nope. A large portion of Ohio is straight up Appalachia. You cannot tell the difference between Ohio/WV/PA anywhere within 50 miles of the Ohio River.
Starting with Clermont county, every county in Ohio along the Ohio river going east is in Appalachia. Starting in Canton, Ohio and going south along I-77 it is very hilly.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:26 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Starting with Clermont county, every county in Ohio along the Ohio river going east is in Appalachia. Starting in Canton, Ohio and going south along I-77 it is very hilly.
Actually, Ashtabula County, Ohio is included in the ARC (Appalachian Regional Commission) and is listed as an economically stressed area.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:46 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Yep. And yet, somehow this idea persists that Ohio is basically the Great Plains, even on this forum of people who should know better.

I'm convinced almost nobody has actually been to Ohio, but for whatever reason feel 100% comfortable commenting on it.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:47 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

I'm convinced almost nobody has actually been to Ohio, but for whatever reason feel 100% comfortable commenting on it.
Or they just drove on a section of I-75 between Toledo and Dayton.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:59 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Actually, Ashtabula County, Ohio is included in the ARC (Appalachian Regional Commission) and is listed as an economically stressed area.
That means nothing. Some counties in northeastern Mississippi are included in the ARC region too, and the Appalachians don't go there. The terrain near Tupelo has about as much relief as the terrain near Akron. It's not until you get into northwestern Alabama that the terrain gets more difficult.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:20 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Indiana is like a Northern extension of Kentucky. You only find that vibe in the far Southern reaches of Ohio and culture quickly changes as you move northward. It’s hard to to say one state that’s totally like Ohio. It’s unique in a lot of ways.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:12 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,445 times
I wanted to say Illinois, but after further review OH and IL aren't as similar as I first thought they would be. IL is dominated by Chicago, and OH has 3 major cities. None of them are comparable to Chicago, but conversely Illinois doesn't have a major city comparable to Cincinnati, Columbus, or Cleveland (unless you count St. Louis, but people don't really associate STL with IL even though 1/3 of the metro is in IL). IL is definitely a professional sports state, and Ohio State is arguably OH's most popular team. IL isn't particularly close to either the Ozarks or to the Appalachians, and is less rugged than OH (the eastern part is included in Appalachia). IL is the western fringe of the Rust Belt, OH is the heart of it.

I think a state that might be more comparable to Ohio is Upstate New York. Both are firmly Rust Belt, both are partially Appalachian in culture, both have respectably large cities (Buffalo and Rochester are both 1M+ metros, and until maybe 50-60 years ago, were peers of Cleveland and Cincinnati). They also share a Great Lake (Erie) and are fairly similar politically.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:17 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
That means nothing. Some counties in northeastern Mississippi are included in the ARC region too, and the Appalachians don't go there. The terrain near Tupelo has about as much relief as the terrain near Akron. It's not until you get into northwestern Alabama that the terrain gets more difficult.
There is a commission that creates the definitions for including specific counties, so it is unusual that Ashtabula County would be included as it does border Lake Erie. Northeast Mississippi is actually more aligned with Appalachia as it is closer to the Cumberland Plateau subregion.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:59 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
I went with Indiana, though Ohio is quite a diverse state.

The part of Ohio that I would say is most unlike Indiana is the industrial and hilly northeastern/eastern part of the state. But, NW Indiana is loosely similar in terms of having a blue collar industrial heritage.

I would argue that Southern Ohio and Southern Indiana are quite similar; though Indiana doesn't have the "Appalachian" flavor of Ohio - but it's not that different, really.

The fact is, massive swaths (the majority) of both states are mostly flat, open farmland dotted with small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City