Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is the most comparable to Ohio?
Indiana 79 38.16%
Michigan 45 21.74%
Pennsylvania 60 28.99%
West Virginia 5 2.42%
Kentucky 4 1.93%
Other 14 6.76%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2021, 09:16 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Outside of the Philadelphia area, Pennsylvania is largely industrial and blue-collar akin to Ohio. In addition, Ohio and Pennsylvania have Amish populations, and I do think there is a slight connection between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
Indiana is actually the most Amish state per capita today.

I don't think the Midwest is necessarily "blue collar" - Columbus doesn't fit that description and it is unmistakably in the region.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 09:38 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Once you get east from State College/Harrisburg, nothing about Pennsylvania is like Ohio.

Also the two states do not really have similar architecture or makeup of their towns/cities.
Can't say I know either state all that well, but just from looking at Streetview it seems to me that Wilkes-Barre and Scranton could pass for smaller versions of places like Dayton and Toledo. Similar combinations of neo-classical, 80s PoMo, and tall, turn-of-the-century American commercial buildings. Looks like Pittsburgh-based PNC occupies one of the tallest, old skyscrapers in Toledo. Maybe another point for PA?

Some similar things in Allentown maybe, but also way more new architecture there than in the other 4 cities from what I can see.

Edit: Seems like all the big Ohio cities have some kind of big PNC building.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 03-11-2021 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-12-2021, 05:10 AM

33 posts, read 34,340 times
Edit: Seems like all the big Ohio cities have some kind of big PNC building.[/quote]

This is due to the fact that Cleveland based Nationa City Bank was taken over by Pittsburgh based PNC in 2008 in a shotgun marriage with the Feds holding the shotgun .

Old 03-12-2021, 05:49 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
. Half the state is west of Columbus, man.
And your point is? There is a downhill ski area west of Columbus. That could not exist if the terrain were flat.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:37 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And your point is? There is a downhill ski area west of Columbus. That could not exist if the terrain were flat.
My point, as it has been since my first post in this thread is that I voted for Indiana, with some reservations, and explained why. For some reason, certain posters took offense to that even after I defended my points with objective data.

As I said elsewhere, "flat" is a relative term.

You are nitpicky. Is there something wrong with mostly flat terrain? Does it have a negative connotation for you?

Old 03-12-2021, 08:35 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Indiana is actually the most Amish state per capita today.

I don't think the Midwest is necessarily "blue collar" - Columbus doesn't fit that description and it is unmistakably in the region.
Yup, Kentucky also has a sizeable Amish/Mennonite population.

I agree with your point that Columbus is a white collar city firmly in the Midwest, very similar to Indianapolis.
I am not sure what similarities people are finding between PA and OH. Even Pittsburgh is very different from Cleveland. PA has very little flat land and agricultural areas compared to Ohio, Indiana and to an extent, Kentucky. PA feels most like New York and is Northeastern to me.

But Ohio is a divided State depending upon where one is from or living.

I voted Indiana

Old 03-12-2021, 08:55 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Many Amish are moving out of Pennsylvania actually and to places like Ohio and Kentucky because Lancaster, Pennsylvania is becoming quite desirable and seeing a surge in new development making the rural lifestyle uncomfortable for the Amish.

And I agree with the rest of what the above poster stated, Ohio and Pennsylvania just are not similar at all.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:03 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Many Amish are moving out of Pennsylvania actually and to places like Ohio and Kentucky because Lancaster, Pennsylvania is becoming quite desirable and seeing a surge in new development making the rural lifestyle uncomfortable for the Amish.

And I agree with the rest of what the above poster stated, Ohio and Pennsylvania just are not similar at all.
Have you ever been to, say, East Liverpool, Columbiana, or Steubenville? I highly doubt it.

There are obviously- obviously- areas of these two states that are indistinguishable from each other. I'm not saying it says anything about the two overall, but to the degree that Indiana is similar to Ohio there is certainly a degree of that similarity to PA as well.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:13 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Have you ever been to, say, East Liverpool, Columbiana, or Steubenville? I highly doubt it.

There are obviously- obviously- areas of these two states that are indistinguishable from each other. I'm not saying it says anything about the two overall, but to the degree that Indiana is similar to Ohio there is certainly a degree of that similarity to PA as well.

Eh not really imo.

Pennsylvania and New York are twins.

Pennsylvania was a colonial state. Ohio was not, so that is the main reason you see so many differences.

Pennsylvania has a strong colonial history.

Ohio is a Great Lake north midwestern state. Pennsylvania is a Northeastern/Mid Atlantic state.

Pittsburgh is not the midwest. Never will be and never was.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:22 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
One could just as well ask if you have ever been to Bryan, Van Wert, or Troy - or anywhere west of Mansfield for that matter.

The Ohio Valley towns you listed are very different from anywhere in Indiana, true. But that region is such a small part of Ohio - and an anomaly within the state for that matter - that it's insane to say OH is more like PA just because of Steubenville, while neglecting the vast majority of Ohio that is nothing like Steubenville.

Quote:
but to the degree that Indiana is similar to Ohio there is certainly a degree of that similarity to PA as well.
The plurality of respondents to the poll disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City