Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is the most comparable to Ohio?
Indiana 79 38.16%
Michigan 45 21.74%
Pennsylvania 60 28.99%
West Virginia 5 2.42%
Kentucky 4 1.93%
Other 14 6.76%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 05:43 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
You can say Pittsburgh and Cleveland have some similarities culturally.

I think that portion of Western Pennsylvania is more alike culturally to Upstate NY with places like Buffalo than Ohio.

And while Cincinnati and Pittsburgh share some similarities with their topography, Cincinnati has a southern influence you do not find in Pittsburgh.

And Eastern Pennsylvania is nothing like Ohio.

Indiana all the way for me.
Are you saying northeast Ohio, especially the Cleveland area, is not as similar to Buffalo as Western PA???? That is truly a first. Cleveland is much more along the lines of Buffalo than it is Pittsburgh. How can someone who has been to all 3 not conclude this??

Definitely not Indiana at all. I am still just bewildered by this thread. Ohio as a whole, especially northeast Ohio, is much more similar to Upstate NY than Indiana. It's really not even slightly close. Please actually go to Ohio sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 07:06 PM

811 posts, read 887,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
There is a commission that creates the definitions for including specific counties, so it is unusual that Ashtabula County would be included as it does border Lake Erie. Northeast Mississippi is actually more aligned with Appalachia as it is closer to the Cumberland Plateau subregion.
If you ever visit Ashtabula County, It would not be hard to see why it’s included in the ARC...it certainly fits in with Appalachia minus the mountains.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:14 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
He is making things up and just googling things and not defining what "urban" "flat" or "farm " actually means. Nobody driving 77 would say its flat. That is just asinine.
Ok

I have driven 77, and no it's not flat. But that's a relatively small portion of the state. You're speaking as though you've never been west of Columbus. Half the state is west of Columbus, man. There are also rolling hills along the Ohio River. I've also driven 52 from Cincinnati to Portsmouth. But that part of the state is very similar to southern Indiana.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:17 PM

811 posts, read 887,893 times
It’s actually tough to answer this Poll as Ohio touches different regions, culturally, among other variables.

Northeast Ohio: Industrial, urban, forested with gentle rolling hills, National Park sandwiched between two cities and somewhat Liberal. It’s Midwestern, but with a slight New England flair. People in this part of Ohio would feel more at home in Michigan than Kentucky.

Southeast Ohio: basically an extension of West Virginia. Appalachian foothills and lack of any sizable city, this is the truly rural area of Ohio.

Southwest Ohio: Similar to Northern Kentucky and a very light Southern influence. Mostly typical Midwest culture and strong German Influences. People in this area of Ohio would identify more with KY and IN even if they refuse to admit it. Not many similarities to Cleveland and Akron.

Northwest Ohio: flatland, probably most similar to Indiana, but admittedly I am not very familiar with this part of Ohio. Drove through it once on way to Tiffin and was shocked how flat it was....very different from Northeastern Ohio.

Central Ohio: Quintessential Ohio with Columbus as the anchor. I think central Ohioans could feel at home in any of the States in this Poll except PA probably.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:26 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Going with PA due to multiple metro's and eastern Ohio is fairly hilly. Indiana is mostly flat.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:30 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
It’s actually tough to answer this Poll as Ohio touches different regions, culturally, among other variables.

Northeast Ohio: Industrial, urban, forested with gentle rolling hills, National Park sandwiched between two cities and somewhat Liberal. It’s Midwestern, but with a slight New England flair. People in this part of Ohio would feel more at home in Michigan than Kentucky.

Southeast Ohio: basically an extension of West Virginia. Appalachian foothills and lack of any sizable city, this is the truly rural area of Ohio.

Southwest Ohio: Similar to Northern Kentucky and a very light Southern influence. Mostly typical Midwest culture and strong German Influences. People in this area of Ohio would identify more with KY and IN even if they refuse to admit it. Not many similarities to Cleveland and Akron.

Northwest Ohio: flatland, probably most similar to Indiana, but admittedly I am not very familiar with this part of Ohio. Drove through it once on way to Tiffin and was shocked how flat it was....very different from Northeastern Ohio.

Central Ohio: Quintessential Ohio with Columbus as the anchor. I think central Ohioans could feel at home in any of the States in this Poll except PA probably.

This is the most accurate assessment. I feel like most people from Ohio who are making comparisons are only comparing the border areas of western Pennsylvania. But once you get east of Pittsburgh, Ohio and Pennsylvania have very little to nothing in common whatsoever.

And Erie shares more similarities with Buffalo than Cleveland. And honestly, Pittsburgh is its own thing with no Ohio connection.

The only strong Pennsylvania - Ohio connection is the Youngstown area, where you see the most cross state metro area with a mixed vibe.

Pennsylvania and New York are honestly twins in many ways. Ohio and Pennsylvania not really.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:37 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,208,036 times
I have voted for Michigan, but it is difficult to answer because Ohio has characteristics that align to some degree with each of its neighbors. Here are the rankings from my (outsider) perspective:

5. Kentucky - the states are obviously connected in the Cincinnati metro area, but their centers of gravity are elsewhere. KY is at its core a Southern state and their metro population is considerably smaller.

4. West Virginia - ranking above KY because of the longer stretch on the Ohio River, with many communities closely tied to each other on either side. WV has more Rust Belt traits than KY as well which fits with eastern OH. But it is far too rural and lightly populated to match that well.

3. Pennsylvania - so much of that state's population is east of the mountains and very non-Midwestern in character. Pittsburgh is also a very unique place that is distinct from Cleveland and NE OH despite the geographic proximity. Erie is probably the most "OH-like" place in the state.

2. Indiana - not as metropolitan as OH, somewhat higher ratio of flat topography and more strongly conservative. But Indianapolis and Columbus have many similar features. Both states are strongly industrial and invested in the automotive and related sectors.

1. Michigan - the population is concentrated heavily in the southern Lower Peninsula, and greater Detroit/Ann Arbor is very close to the OH border. Both states have extensive waterfronts on the Great Lakes and a major industrial history. Statewide income and educational levels are not very different, and OH has only about 10% more population. MI is somewhat left of OH politically, but it is not a safe blue state and likely to remain very competitive.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I have voted for Michigan, but it is difficult to answer because Ohio has characteristics that align to some degree with each of its neighbors. Here are the rankings from my (outsider) perspective:

5. Kentucky - the states are obviously connected in the Cincinnati metro area, but their centers of gravity are elsewhere. KY is at its core a Southern state and their metro population is considerably smaller.

4. West Virginia - ranking above KY because of the longer stretch on the Ohio River, with many communities closely tied to each other on either side. WV has more Rust Belt traits than KY as well which fits with eastern OH. But it is far too rural and lightly populated to match that well.

3. Pennsylvania - so much of that state's population is east of the mountains and very non-Midwestern in character. Pittsburgh is also a very unique place that is distinct from Cleveland and NE OH despite the geographic proximity. Erie is probably the most "OH-like" place in the state.

2. Indiana - not as metropolitan as OH, somewhat higher ratio of flat topography and more strongly conservative. But Indianapolis and Columbus have many similar features. Both states are strongly industrial and invested in the automotive and related sectors.

1. Michigan - the population is concentrated heavily in the southern Lower Peninsula, and greater Detroit/Ann Arbor is very close to the OH border. Both states have extensive waterfronts on the Great Lakes and a major industrial history. Statewide income and educational levels are not very different, and OH has only about 10% more population. MI is somewhat left of OH politically, but it is not a safe blue state and likely to remain very competitive.
Very accurate assessment. I agree with all you said. Michigan is a bit more blue in my mind than Ohio, which kind of translates to a different vibe and Michigan is definitely midwestern with that Northern accent.

With that though your comparison with Pennsylvania is spot on. Pennsylvania and Ohio are really nothing alike whatsoever.

Pittsburgh is its own thing. And Philadelphia is a smaller version of NYC and nothing like anything in Ohio.

The reest of the state is also very similar to New York and not like Ohio.

Erie can kind of be considered to be similar to Cleveland but, I find it to be more similar to Buffalo and that Upstate New York culture which is quite distinct.

Pennsylvania and New York are the most blended neighbors culturally.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:51 PM

771 posts, read 624,859 times
I think Pennsylvania and Ohio are more similar than people would assume.

Outside of the Philadelphia area, Pennsylvania is largely industrial and blue-collar akin to Ohio. In addition, Ohio and Pennsylvania have Amish populations, and I do think there is a slight connection between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Both cities have steel histories and there's definitely a rivalry between the Browns and Steelers for football.

Also, let's remember that Ohio isn't "Midwestern" in the sense that Iowa or Nebraska are Midwestern. Ohio has always been more of an industrial state. I know there's this notion that Ohio is a "flyover state" or whatever but it's seriously wrong.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
I think Pennsylvania and Ohio are more similar than people would assume.

Outside of the Philadelphia area, Pennsylvania is largely industrial and blue-collar akin to Ohio. In addition, Ohio and Pennsylvania have Amish populations, and I do think there is a slight connection between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Both cities have steel histories and there's definitely a rivalry between the Browns and Steelers for football.

Also, let's remember that Ohio isn't "Midwestern" in the sense that Iowa or Nebraska are Midwestern. Ohio has always been more of an industrial state. I know there's this notion that Ohio is a "flyover state" or whatever but it's seriously wrong.
Eh, when you think about industries. Ohio shares more with Indiana than Pennsylvania.

Both have strong automobile manufacturing histories.

Pennsylvania never had that.

Columbus and Indianapolis are very very similar.

Pittsburgh really is nothing like Cleveland. It has some overlaps, but again Pennsylvania has a culture tied with New York State more than Ohio.

Youngstown, Ohio is the closest population center to Pennsylvania and that is the only part of the two states that really overlap.

Once you get east from State College/Harrisburg, nothing about Pennsylvania is like Ohio.

Also the two states do not really have similar architecture or makeup of their towns/cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City