Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeast v. Southeast
Northeast (PA, NY, NJ, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME) 103 56.91%
Southeast (VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL) 78 43.09%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 11:02 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times

Advertisements

I picked the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 05:17 PM

156 posts, read 168,499 times
Dixie all the way!

Old 08-19-2021, 10:54 AM

42 posts, read 45,251 times
What I’m really curious about is the nature aspects of these two regions. I feel like it’s super close.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:40 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
COL: Southeast
QOL: Northeast
Culture: Northeast
Economy: Northeast
Character and Charm: Tie
Transit: Northeast (by a mile)
Transportation (roads, etc): Northeast
Cities: Northeast (by a mile)
Suburbs: Northeast
Downtowns: Northeast
Higher Education: Northeast
Schools (K - 12): Northeast
Climate: Southeast (during winter), Northeast (during summer, but not by much)
History: Both have very interesting historical lineages.
Favorite thing about the Southeast: Beaches, great winter weather, cheap(er)
Favorite thing about the Northeast: Big cities, progressive, spring/fall, great transit
Least favorite thing about the Southeast: Republicans, religious people, humid summer weather
Least favorite thing about the Northeast: Cost of living/high taxes, cold winters

Winner: Northeast by a long shot, but it's always nice to fly to Florida for getaways in the winter.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:06 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
COL: Southeast (although rural PA/upstate NY is less expensive than the SE coast in many instances)
QOL: Northeast (although once again, the vibrant sunbelt metros have a leg up on a lot of the interior NE)
Culture: Northeast
Economy: Tie. The Northeast still has NYC regarding the top of big business, but the SE has caught up quickly with many corporations from the NE relocating south, thanks to the more business-friendly climate)
Character and Charm: Northeast. Although the SE has its share of charm, much of the region is automobile, cookie-cutter sprawl in its built-up areas, and even the rural areas are much more uniform thanks to the county-based government.
Transit: Northeast
Transportation (roads, etc): Southeast. The Northeast has many more toll roads and there often isn't as much room to build them, while the longer winters cause more maintenance problems. Outside of Florida, toll roads ar
Cities: Northeast, but not much. The more quickly growing cores of cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Orlando, Tampa, and more. They're more sterile due to the newer build, but just as vibrant as comparable places in the NE.
Suburbs: Northeast
Downtowns: Northeast
Higher Education: Northeast
Schools (K - 12): Northeast
Climate: Tie
History: Northeast due to being more progressive as well as more notable people who have contributed to society.
Favorite thing about the Southeast: Lower COL, easy to get around, infrastructure
Favorite thing about the Northeast: More walkable cities, fitter people, more independently owned small businesses/fewer chains, diversity, QOL
Least favorite thing about the Southeast: Summers, Good Old Boys, country music fans
Least favorite thing about the Northeast: Winters away from the coast, Type A personalities in the big cities, high taxes

Winner: The Northeast overall, but there are places in the Southeast that have improved tremendously, especially urban/suburban NC, TN, SC, GA, VA, and FL.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:51 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPajamas View Post
What I’m really curious about is the nature aspects of these two regions. I feel like it’s super close.
Same question for me! It seems like more people visit the SE though the Appalachians and beaches, but the NE has so much public land and hilly terrain all through Pennsylvania on up. Ohio was a lot prettier than I imagined! I don't know if people just hate winter that much and that's why inland NE is so under the radar???

Old 08-22-2021, 08:22 AM

42 posts, read 45,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Same question for me! It seems like more people visit the SE though the Appalachians and beaches, but the NE has so much public land and hilly terrain all through Pennsylvania on up. Ohio was a lot prettier than I imagined! I don't know if people just hate winter that much and that's why inland NE is so under the radar???
Outside of those two, although beautiful, things the Southeast has there—I don’t think they have really much to offer. I’m from the Northeast and haven’t traveled extensively in the Southeast but I feel like Acadia, ADK, and the beaches of New England/Long Island could easily give the Southeast a run for its money. Then there’s so much more inland like the Berkshires, Catskills, Poconos, White Mountains, and more.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:36 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Quote:
Outside of those two, although beautiful, things the Southeast has there—I don’t think they have really much to offer. I’m from the Northeast and haven’t traveled extensively in the Southeast but I feel like Acadia, ADK, and the beaches of New England/Long Island could easily give the Southeast a run for its money. Then there’s so much more inland like the Berkshires, Catskills, Poconos, White Mountains, and more.
If you took out the coast and mountains from the SE and compared it to the coast and mountains of the NE, then I agree you’d get a lopsided comparison.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:04 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
The Poconos got a bum rep from the 1950s, when a lot of "lovers' resort" hotels opened.

The region's definitely moving past that now. Ski fans still diss the Pocono ski resorts relative to their New England peers, however.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:17 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Ski fans still diss the Pocono ski resorts relative to their New England peers, however.

My New England friends who have relocated to Philly for Comcast stuff call it MASH. Mid-Atlantic Ski Hell. I took some Comcast people to Blue Mountain on an after work outing once. It's pretty underwhelming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City