Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Kansas or Mississippi
I'd prefer KANSAS 67 54.47%
I'd prefer MISSISSIPPI 24 19.51%
NEITHER, one 28 22.76%
BOTH, of them these states are alright with me 4 3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 12:53 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times

Advertisements

Kansas actually appears to be on track to overtake Mississippi in population sometime in the 2020s. They were about 114,000 persons apart in 2010, but less than 24,000 in 2020 as Mississippi was one of only three states to decline during the decade.

Unfortunately the Mississippi Delta region is in a disastrously bad downhill spiral and adversely impacting the statewide numbers. The Gulf Coast, Hattiesburg, suburban Memphis, Tupelo and Oxford are doing comparatively well.

Meanwhile in Kansas, their largest county (Johnson) exerts a strong positive influence on the state's overall indicators of well being. This large suburban county is almost entirely middle class to affluent with the type of amenities and economic base that would be expected of the favored side of a large metropolitan area. Mississippi doesn't have an equivalent of Johnson County, nor does Kansas have a region with the widespread impoverishment and deeply rooted social problems of the Delta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 03:05 PM

309 posts, read 307,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Mississippi doesn't have an equivalent of Johnson County

If they were smart, they would. Although it's not really the worst thing that they don't. Kansas subsidizes Johnson county at the expense of the rest of Kansas and KCMO.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
If they were smart, they would. Although it's not really the worst thing that they don't. Kansas subsidizes Johnson county at the expense of the rest of Kansas and KCMO.
Usually affluent areas contribute more funds to the remainder of their state than they get back, so that is surprising. I am aware that there is a lot of cross-border competition between Missouri and Kansas within the KC metro that has not been constructive for the area.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:15 PM

309 posts, read 307,535 times
Quote:
Usually affluent areas contribute more funds to the remainder of their state than they get back, so that is surprising. I am aware that there is a lot of cross-border competition between Missouri and Kansas within the KC metro that has not been constructive for the area.
Yeah, I'm not really disagreeing with you here as Johnson County is responsible for a significant amount of wealth and economic development within Kansas as a whole. It's just not wholly organic. Kansas has dumped a lot of resources into making Johnson County the premier(?) suburb it is without really keeping that energy across the state. This hurts pretty much the urban (Kansas City, KS, Wichita, Topeka) AND rural areas comprising the rest of the state.

At least Lawrence and Manhattan are nice.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:50 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Quote:
Mississippi doesn't have an equivalent of Johnson County, nor does Kansas have a region with the widespread impoverishment and deeply rooted social problems of the Delta.
The similar county in Mississippi will be Madison.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:52 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
It seem like Mississippi most dislike state
It comes with the bottom rankings theme. Honestly i doubt most people that dislike my state have ever chill out here.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
The similar county in Mississippi will be Madison.
This is true, but Madison (about 106K) is much smaller than Johnson (about 602K) in a comparably sized state. The cities of Madison and Ridgeland are certainly very desirable - and would surpass most communities in the vast area east of Dallas, west of Birmingham, south of Memphis and north of New Orleans.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:17 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,471 times
Kansas by a landslide. I'm a rural Midwest kind of guy though

Old 05-28-2021, 09:21 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
It comes with the bottom rankings theme. Honestly i doubt most people that dislike my state have ever chill out here.
They haven't. They're just as ignorant as the stereotypes.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:22 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
This is true, but Madison (about 106K) is much smaller than Johnson (about 602K) in a comparably sized state. The cities of Madison and Ridgeland are certainly very desirable - and would surpass most communities in the vast area east of Dallas, west of Birmingham, south of Memphis and north of New Orleans.
Also, you could say a lot about DeSoto County's development, as far as Mississippi counties go. Like how Madison County has gotten a lot of development in the Jackson area, DeSoto County(MS) has gotten a lot near Memphis, TN. And if wikipedia is right for its population, DeSoto increased from 161K in 2010 to 185K(estimated) in 2019. Wyandotte County(which contains Kansas City, KS) is estimated at 158K, and as of 2019 estimated at 165K. So while DeSoto(MS) has gotten ahead in population over Wyandotte(KS), Wyandotte is still well ahead of Madison County(MS).

That said, DeSoto isn't quite as comparable to the amount of development and population Johnson County(KS) has gotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City