Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Kansas or Mississippi
I'd prefer KANSAS 67 54.47%
I'd prefer MISSISSIPPI 24 19.51%
NEITHER, one 28 22.76%
BOTH, of them these states are alright with me 4 3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 11:45 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,213,325 times

Advertisements

I prefer Mississippi by a landslide for its subtropical climate and for its forested rolling hills. Kansas is a desert climate in comparison as are all the other Great Plains states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 01:42 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I prefer Mississippi by a landslide for its subtropical climate and for its forested rolling hills. Kansas is a desert climate in comparison as are all the other Great Plains states.
https://www.lawnstarter.com/wichita-...ces-wichita-ks

https://www.opkansas.org/recreation-...nical-gardens/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...tums_in_Kansas

https://www.visitgck.com/everything-...ate-in-kansas/

Old 05-30-2021, 02:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
One isn't going to get that impression in much of the western half of Kansas, like in Lawrence with it trees and hilliness, along with the broad Kansas River nearby. As a Great Plains state, Oklahoma has much more variability in the scenery to the point it can amount to the opposite of a desert.

Part of Mississippi can be boring and feel like driving through a tunnel from all the tall pine trees lining the Interstate.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:28 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
One isn't going to get that impression in much of the western half of Kansas, like in Lawrence with it trees and hilliness, along with the broad Kansas River nearby. As a Great Plains state, Oklahoma has much more variability in the scenery to the point it can amount to the opposite of a desert.

Part of Mississippi can be boring and feel like driving through a tunnel from all the tall pine trees lining the Interstate.
Wait. Lawrence and the Kansas River are found in the eastern half of the state.

Nowhere in Kansas I know of is as forested as eastern Oklahoma, but northeast Kansas does have a decent amount of trees along the Missouri River valley, which is a continuation of the Eastern deciduous forest. The Kaw (Kansas) River valley ditto. And the Flint Hills are quite beautiful.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Wait. Lawrence and the Kansas River are found in the eastern half of the state.

Nowhere in Kansas I know of is as forested as eastern Oklahoma, but northeast Kansas does have a decent amount of trees along the Missouri River valley, which is a continuation of the Eastern deciduous forest. The Kaw (Kansas) River valley ditto. And the Flint Hills are quite beautiful.
Oh,no, excuse me, I meant to write the eastern half of Kansas, not the western half. The western half is pretty bad from having ruler flat scenery and hardly any trees.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:57 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Western Kansas still has charms. Eastern NM and Eastern CO are the godawful parts of the plains, by the time you hit the Kansas / Colorado border, it improves. Weather sucks in western Kansas with the hail and tornadoes, but there's worse parts of the US scenery wise, like the flat parts of AZ.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:37 AM

393 posts, read 261,344 times
Kansas except for landscapes.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:43 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Thanks to the OP for putting his/her prejudice against and stereotyping of rural states out there for all of us to recognize.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:59 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times
Mississippi is a lot more diverse than some people think. The delta counties in west Mississippi are greatly different from the northeastern counties. And living conditions in DeSoto county could not be compared to either place. DeSoto is thriving. It is a suburb of Memphis and is the destination for those fleeing Memphis.None of those places could be compared to the gulf coast.

The "wokest" among us continue to posture and huff and puff pretending they know all about Mississippi, but that's not new.

My career took me to Mississippi where I retired, but it also has taken me to Kansas. I have no problem living in either place.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:57 AM

309 posts, read 307,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
The similar county in Mississippi will be Madison.
Not DeSoto?

Southaven seems to be an extension of Whitehaven, Memphis in the same way that the first Johnson County, KS suburbs were originally an extension of KCMO's Country Club District across State Line Road into Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City