Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Kansas or Mississippi
I'd prefer KANSAS 67 54.47%
I'd prefer MISSISSIPPI 24 19.51%
NEITHER, one 28 22.76%
BOTH, of them these states are alright with me 4 3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 05:48 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
No, But it Looks Pretty cool in this Video I guess
For its location, it's surprisingly green. Downtown has at least some density. The riverwalk is okay, but poorly maintained.

The main problem is there is just nobody there, especially sidewalks etc. It's just a desolate city on the ground with very few people. There are more kids on scooters "playing" than anything else.

You can find pockets of activity. The keeper of the plains on the river is neat and has a fire show every night I think. Old Town has a couple of blocks that are okay.

But for the most part, the city is pretty depressing. It's basically a big suburb in the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 06:44 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
For its location, it's surprisingly green. Downtown has at least some density. The riverwalk is okay, but poorly maintained.

The main problem is there is just nobody there, especially sidewalks etc. It's just a desolate city on the ground with very few people. There are more kids on scooters "playing" than anything else.

You can find pockets of activity. The keeper of the plains on the river is neat and has a fire show every night I think. Old Town has a couple of blocks that are okay.

But for the most part, the city is pretty depressing. It's basically a big suburb in the middle of nowhere.
Witchita or Jackson Mississippi

Old 06-16-2021, 04:00 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:

After the drone video, a promotional video from the Wichita Downtown Development Corporation played on my computer. The video touted the rise in the city's downtown population, an increase in public events and creative-class-type activity, and the recycling and repurposing of several downtown buildings into either mixed-use residential/commercial or creative workspace.

(One of those buildings was the former home of The Wichita Eagle, the largest newspaper published in the state. [It and The Kansas City Star, the state's largest-circulating newspaper (and for many years the only one that circulated statewide) but published in Missouri, became corporate siblings when Knight-Ridder (the Eagle was part of the Ridder chain, the journalistically inferior half of Knight-Ridder) acquired the newspapers the Walt Disney Company had acquired when it bought Capital Cities/ABC, Inc.] It's now the headquarters of Cargill Protein, a division of Minneapolis-based Cargill, the largest privately-owned company in the country (and maybe the world). The tone of the Cargill news release announcing the new headquarters suggests it too was surprised to figure out that the future of that division lay in Wichita, where it had been for 38 years.)

It almost made you want to live in Wichita. But as I watched it, it struck me that just about every city bigger than an overgrown crossroads in the country is doing this now. Shoot, Kansas City has a similar organization, the Downtown Council of Kansas City.

But once outside downtown...does Wichita have anything like Westport, or the Country Club Plaza? Last I looked, it didn't.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:05 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Witchita or Jackson Mississippi
He's talking about Wichita.

The city had an alt-weekly for a time in the 1990s called the Wichita CityPaper. It had put up a billboard over I-235 promoting itself with a row of multiethnic faces over which appeared this line:

"Face it. You're in Wichita."

Old 06-16-2021, 05:39 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Didn't know Witchita had all This
https://youtu.be/i8Apxsx1aBo
This is Nice, completely underestimated Witchita
Nice downtown.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
He's talking about Wichita.

The city had an alt-weekly for a time in the 1990s called the Wichita CityPaper. It had put up a billboard over I-235 promoting itself with a row of multiethnic faces over which appeared this line:

"Face it. You're in Wichita."
No I meant Witchita VS Jackson, I should have clarified

Didn't expect that rundown of Witchita, lol
Well let's check out Topeka
https://youtu.be/mZRW91bytzE

Old 06-16-2021, 07:33 AM

495 posts, read 778,166 times
Quote:

Not quite true. Wichita has built it itself up nicely and started re-investing in its downtown Old Town area in the 1980's and has continued for the last 30+ years. It has many vibrant areas and in the last 10 or so years has added Intrust Arena and Exploration Center on the the Arkansas River. I was just there a month ago and the Riverwalk area is very nice and well maintained. There are also a lot of antique stores and cool, funky shops in Old Town and some very cool bars.

I know you hate everything Kansas, but quit passing around "mis-leading" information on a public forum just because you hate KS. Wichita is not perfect, but it is a nice city with 600k+ people and is considered the Air Capital of the World. Even after Boeing left, Cessna and Spirit AreoSystems still have a large presences.

And small tid-bits that most won't know about Wichita, but Pizza Hut and Whitecastle all started in Wichita. Coleman was also started in Wichita.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
No I meant Witchita VS Jackson, I should have clarified

Didn't expect that rundown of Witchita, lol
Well let's check out Topeka
https://youtu.be/mZRW91bytzE
Eh, hmm Just seems like a regular city nothing too special, Pretty Capitol Building though, the streets where pretty desolate

I Wanted to find one on Overland Park and Kansas City KANSAS, all in Johnson County (the big county everyone's been talking about) but they're all overshadowed by Kansas City, MO in the videos

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 06-16-2021 at 07:51 AM..

Old 06-16-2021, 08:07 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Not quite true. Wichita has built it itself up nicely and started re-investing in its downtown Old Town area in the 1980's and has continued for the last 30+ years. It has many vibrant areas and in the last 10 or so years has added Intrust Arena and Exploration Center on the the Arkansas River. I was just there a month ago and the Riverwalk area is very nice and well maintained. There are also a lot of antique stores and cool, funky shops in Old Town and some very cool bars.

I know you hate everything Kansas, but quit passing around "mis-leading" information on a public forum just because you hate KS. Wichita is not perfect, but it is a nice city with 600k+ people and is considered the Air Capital of the World. Even after Boeing left, Cessna and Spirit AreoSystems still have a large presences.

And small tid-bits that most won't know about Wichita, but Pizza Hut and Whitecastle all started in Wichita. Coleman was also started in Wichita.
I have been to Wichita recently and you are exaggerating it. Last time I was there the new baseball stadium was under construction so maybe that will improve things, but come on. It's not that great of a city. It's not terrible, but it's not great either.

Wichita is by far the best thing in Kansas as far as urban areas go. I mean Topeka and KCK are both terrible as far as being nice urban places, but the Kansas side of the KC area is much larger and a more desirable place to live than Wichita even though its suburban.

Wichita is an okay small city, but downtown is relatively dead most of the time. It's all relative I guess. For the location, Wichita is one of the only cities around, so not a lot to compare it to.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:15 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Hoooh boy, not touching this one

Neither and I'll leave it a that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City