Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Kansas or Mississippi
I'd prefer KANSAS 67 54.47%
I'd prefer MISSISSIPPI 24 19.51%
NEITHER, one 28 22.76%
BOTH, of them these states are alright with me 4 3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 08:16 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Eh, hmm Just seems like a regular city nothing too special, Pretty Capitol Building though, the streets where pretty desolate

I Wanted to find one on Overland Park and Kansas City KANSAS, all in Johnson County (the big county everyone's been talking about) but they're all overshadowed by Kansas City, MO in the videos
KCK is not in Johnson County, it's in Wyandotte County. Together they are the two largest counties on the KS side of KC with about almost 800,000 people.

Here is a video of what Overland Park looks like. It's basically anywhere suburban USA. It does have a lot of extra wide streets for the population so there is no traffic there. Big uncongested streets is kind of the only thing that makes Johnson County stand out to me compared to similar suburbs in large metros around the country. The closest thing I have found to Johnson County is probably suburban Phoenix, Fort Worth, Denver or even parts of Northern VA suburbs outside the beltway here in the DC area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EQtSvY3T2Q

Last edited by kcmo; 06-16-2021 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 08:24 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
After the drone video, a promotional video from the [URL="https://downtownwichita.org"]Wichita Downtown Development Corporation[/URL] played on my computer. The video touted the rise in the city's downtown population, an increase in public events and creative-class-type activity, and the recycling and repurposing of several downtown buildings into either mixed-use residential/commercial or creative workspace.

But once outside downtown...does Wichita have anything like Westport, or the Country Club Plaza? Last I looked, it didn't.
No It does not. There was a revitalized downtown project that went up 20 years ago that is small has some nice boutiques/fsmall restaurants a couple breweries, around Douglas but no no no. Nothing big scale in any way shape or form. Not wanted, not interested. Wichita rolls up at 7:30pm for the most part

Old 06-16-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

But for the most part, the city is pretty depressing. It's basically a big suburb in the middle of nowhere.
Its not depressing, its quiet. Very nice. There are so many towns/cities that have that vibrancy. Not everyplace has to be same.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Its not depressing, its quiet. Very nice. There are so many towns/cities that have that vibrancy. Not everyplace has to be same.
Yeah, depressing was a little harsh. I would agree that quiet is a better description. There are many cities that are actually depressing and Wichita is not really like those places.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah, depressing was a little harsh. I would agree that quiet is a better description. There are many cities that are actually depressing and Wichita is not really like those places.
As a Wildcat alum, I will always be mad at you bc KU is most certainly not the Flagship Kansas Uni. pffffttttt.

Modcut: Removed off-topic comments

Last edited by JMT; 06-17-2021 at 07:00 AM..

Old 06-16-2021, 08:58 AM

495 posts, read 778,166 times
KU is the flapship University in Kansas. It's the largest and has a highly regarded research medical school that continues to build out.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:03 AM

495 posts, read 778,166 times
Quote:
I have been to Wichita recently and you are exaggerating it. Last time I was there the new baseball stadium was under construction so maybe that will improve things, but come on. It's not that great of a city. It's not terrible, but it's not great either.

Wichita is by far the best thing in Kansas as far as urban areas go. I mean Topeka and KCK are both terrible as far as being nice urban places, but the Kansas side of the KC area is much larger and a more desirable place to live than Wichita even though its suburban.

Wichita is an okay small city, but downtown is relatively dead most of the time. It's all relative I guess. For the location, Wichita is one of the only cities around, so not a lot to compare it to.
If I'm exaggerating it (somewhat) then you are downplaying it (somewhat) . So it's a wash. Most cities right now are dead downtown, even KC. But Wichita has made some nice investments in their downtown (i.e. arena, exploration place, ped bridge over river and now a new ballpark). KC needs a ballpark downtown (that I'm sure we agree on) .

Old 06-16-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
As a Wildcat alum, I will always be mad at you bc KU is most certainly not the Flagship Kansas Uni. pffffttttt.

Also are you DMorV? Im FFX
I didn't say anything about the universities, but I would agree that KU would be the flagship university of the state haha. Lawrence is also part of the KC region and KU has a major presence in the KC area, mostly midtown KCMO (even though the campus is actually in KCK).

K State seems like a fine university though and Manhattan is not a bad little college town.

Modcut: Removed off-topic comments

Last edited by JMT; 06-17-2021 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-16-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
If I'm exaggerating it (somewhat) then you are downplaying it (somewhat) . So it's a wash. Most cities right now are dead downtown, even KC. But Wichita has made some nice investments in their downtown (i.e. arena, exploration place, ped bridge over river and now a new ballpark). KC needs a ballpark downtown (that I'm sure we agree on) .
I have been to Wichita many times, but the last time was 2019, so pre covid. There are some nice things about Wichita, but overall, it's just too small, too isolated, too conservative and too suburban for my liking. And like KC it lacks urban recreation although the river is something, it's pretty small. I'm spoiled with DC and the east coast now I guess.

KC is a very "quiet" city too. I know KC well though so I can overlook how "dead" KC feels most of the time compared to similar sized cities because I know KC is not as dead as it appears on the surface. Wichita really is sort of dead though. But overall, it's "nice" and quaint if you like that sort of thing.

Honestly, I would love for the royals stadium to be in Downtown KC, but I'm not a fan of the east village site. I think if it can't go in the crossroads or jazz districts, then it should just stay where it is and let the east side of the downtown loop develop.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:44 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Mississippi is becoming more urban and should be 51 or 52% by the end of this decade. About 1 out 4 resides in Jackson metro.
My mistake here it's about 1/5th lives in the Jackson Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City