Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Kansas or Mississippi
I'd prefer KANSAS 67 54.47%
I'd prefer MISSISSIPPI 24 19.51%
NEITHER, one 28 22.76%
BOTH, of them these states are alright with me 4 3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 06:51 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Could have just said it's bigger lol.

One could make the argument that Mississippi has more to explore as its population is more evenly distributed and interesting small towns exist in most corners of the state. But yeah Kansas is bigger.
Which is why I ranked Mississippi above Kansas for tourism in my first post on this thread..

But I wanted to drive home the point about room to roam. There would still be more of it were Kansas' population spread across the state the way Mississippi's is, but the fact that half of it's clustered in a small part of its bigger territory means there's much more empty space in it;

Most of it planted in wheat, corn, or soybeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 01:14 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Kansas: 82,278 sq mi
Mississippi: 48,430 sq mis

And there are fewer Kansans than Mississippians, by about 20,000. And remember that one-third of them live in metropolitan Kansas City, and if you add three counties to those — Douglas (Lawrence), Shawnee (Topeka) and Sedgwick (Wichita), and you have half of all Kansans in just those nine counties (the other five, north to south: Leavenworth, Wyandotte, Johnson, Miami, Linn — the five Kansas counties in the Kansas City MSA). Mississippi residents are more evenly distributed around the state.

Looks like "more space to roam around" to me.
Yeah, KS is way more urban than MS as far as where people live. If you are from KS, chances are VERY good that you are from the relatively large metropolitan area of Kansas City. So you would be no different than somebody from suburban Pittsburgh, or Cleveland or Denver or New Orleans or Charlotte.

If you are not from KC, then you are likely from a small metro like Wichita or Topeka.

Rural KS outside of those areas is not very populated and this is why Kansas is actually trending to a blue state. Most people in KS live in larger cities.

MS as a much higher percentage of people living in very small rural towns and even big towns there don't get much larger than Topeka.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:46 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Guess this the first time a similar sized Landlocked State beat a Beach State in C-D history

Old 06-15-2021, 12:26 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yeah, KS is way more urban than MS as far as where people live. If you are from KS, chances are VERY good that you are from the relatively large metropolitan area of Kansas City. So you would be no different than somebody from suburban Pittsburgh, or Cleveland or Denver or New Orleans or Charlotte.

If you are not from KC, then you are likely from a small metro like Wichita or Topeka.

Rural KS outside of those areas is not very populated and this is why Kansas is actually trending to a blue state. Most people in KS live in larger cities.

MS as a much higher percentage of people living in very small rural towns and even big towns there don't get much larger than Topeka.
Mississippi is becoming more urban and should be 51 or 52% by the end of this decade. About 1 out 4 resides in Jackson metro.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:06 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Is it really yet, though?

Wyandotte (Kansas City, Kan.) and Douglas (Lawrence, home to the flagship state university) are as of now the only reliably Democratic counties of the 105 counties in the state.

Johnson County, the state's most populous, remains Republican, though certainly less extremist than the Republicans who ran the state up until 2018. Suburban Wichita voters appear to cancel out the city vote, making Sedgwick pink. And the home of the Rev. Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church cult ain't all that liberal either (the governor, legislature and state supreme court all reside in this city).

Now, I haven't sifted through the state election data, so I may be missing shifts down below that haven't yet risen to the surface. But in contrast to the coasts, suburbs of cities in the Midwest appear to me not to have undergone the blue shift those of the coastal cities have, and that goes for the Kansas suburbs of Kansas City, Mo., as well. (Kansas City, Kan., isn't a suburb: it's really a second, much smaller core city, or satellite city if you will.)

I'd like to posit that, Kansas City excepted, Kansas' cities more closely resemble Oklahoma's than Missouri's.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Is it really yet, though?

Wyandotte (Kansas City, Kan.) and Douglas (Lawrence, home to the flagship state university) are as of now the only reliably Democratic counties of the 105 counties in the state.

Johnson County, the state's most populous, remains Republican, though certainly less extremist than the Republicans who ran the state up until 2018. Suburban Wichita voters appear to cancel out the city vote, making Sedgwick pink. And the home of the Rev. Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church cult ain't all that liberal either (the governor, legislature and state supreme court all reside in this city).

Now, I haven't sifted through the state election data, so I may be missing shifts down below that haven't yet risen to the surface. But in contrast to the coasts, suburbs of cities in the Midwest appear to me not to have undergone the blue shift those of the coastal cities have, and that goes for the Kansas suburbs of Kansas City, Mo., as well. (Kansas City, Kan., isn't a suburb: it's really a second, much smaller core city, or satellite city if you will.)

I'd like to posit that, Kansas City excepted, Kansas' cities more closely resemble Oklahoma's than Missouri's.
The KC area and Lawrence voted for Biden and Obama. I think Johnson County barely voted for Trump the first time. The KC area continues to increase its percentage of the population of Kansas so the voting population is trending blue. But like Missouri, the rural counties of KS are 80% republican, so it's hard to overcome that. Missouri has two major metros and is still a red state because Missouri does have a large rural population.

But yeah, I understand that midwestern suburbs are not really blue like the suburbs are around DC and other coastal cities. Johnson County inside the 435 beltway is pretty blue though.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:26 AM

Didn't know Witchita had all This
https://youtu.be/i8Apxsx1aBo
This is Nice, completely underestimated Witchita

Old 06-15-2021, 12:00 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
It seem like Mississippi most dislike state
Statistically it’s pretty bad.

Old 06-15-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Didn't know Witchita had all This
https://youtu.be/i8Apxsx1aBo
This is Nice, completely underestimated Witchita
All what? Downtown Wichita is empty. Ever been there?

Old 06-15-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
All what? Downtown Wichita is empty. Ever been there?
No, But it Looks Pretty cool in this Video I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City