Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Virginia more similar to Pennsylvania or North Carolina
Pennsylvania 19 15.57%
NC 103 84.43%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 05:22 AM

346 posts, read 229,367 times

Advertisements

There could be more mixed-use planning downtown, don't you agree?

Right now there are a lot of parking lots, garages and tall buildings with few amenities at street level.

Sure you can walk downtown, but how enjoyable is it when few things are at street level? Broad Street has good bones but that's not what I'm referring to as downtown -- I'm referring to the central business district. A lot of cities in the South have CBDs that are largely dead on the weekends, so it's not a knock to Richmond specifically. But it's also quiet on the weekdays, with most people driving into work downtown. Not walking in, or biking in or bussing in either.

Also the streets are relatively quiet and residential all over Richmond, except for Carytown -- which draws the most tourists, so not all of that foot traffic is residential. People who visit from major cities on the West Coast or Northeast tend to be disappointed in Richmond, as evidenced by many forum posts. Though I'm not surprised someone from Raleigh thinks it's walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 06:46 AM

210 posts, read 199,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
There could be more mixed-use planning downtown, don't you agree?

Right now there are a lot of parking lots, garages and tall buildings with few amenities at street level.

Sure you can walk downtown, but how enjoyable is it when few things are at street level? Broad Street has good bones but that's not what I'm referring to as downtown -- I'm referring to the central business district. A lot of cities in the South have CBDs that are largely dead on the weekends, so it's not a knock to Richmond specifically. But it's also quiet on the weekdays, with most people driving into work downtown. Not walking in, or biking in or bussing in either.

Also the streets are relatively quiet and residential all over Richmond, except for Carytown -- which draws the most tourists, so not all of that foot traffic is residential. People who visit from major cities on the West Coast or Northeast tend to be disappointed in Richmond, as evidenced by many forum posts. Though I'm not surprised someone from Raleigh thinks it's walkable.
I moved here from Charlotte, Richmond is ten times more walkable than just about any city in NC for that matter. CLT is only walkable if you live in the most expensive part of town (South End). In fact, it's one of the reasons I moved here, the cost overall and walkability.

But I do wish RVA's actual "downtown", the CBD, had more to do, like you said, it's basically lifeless after a certain time of the night until you venture into Shockoe but also like you said, that's like every city's downtown in the "south".

Old 09-20-2021, 06:48 AM

1,021 posts, read 910,624 times
@rural and red, Downtown Richmond has plenty of shops and foot traffic. You ever been on Broad? As for the financial district...who the heck wants to be walking down around 9th and main? lol. Makes no sense. Financial districts in most cities are like that, I'm not sure who told you differently. And there are still shops down there because people live down there. There are stores, 7-11's, cvs, restaurants etc scattered around the financial district, just use google. The courts are also down there as well as the back entrance to 4 acres of the capitol district. I don't know why you like to down play things that Richmond is actually good at. The city is very walkable. I posted the walkscore earlier in the thread. I understand that people don't care for that metric, mostly when it doesn't reflect well on their city, but its there none the less. Foot traffic is always out and about in Carytown, Scott's Addition, Churchill near broad, Shockoe, Museum distric etc. These are all areas that are walkable to each other. I guess thats not a big thing to some but most cities Richmond's size have maybe 1 neighborhood like that, not several that are all closely linked and walkable. I mean whats the point of having a "urban" neighborhood if it doesn't have any sidewalks? Richmond is a very neighborhood driven city. Even the smaller, "secondary" or outskirt neighborhoods still have districts of decent amounts of foot traffic and shoppers. Bon Air, Libbie and Grove, Libbie midtown etc. For that good old new urbanism we still have Short Pump, Stony Pointe and Libbie Mill is on the come up. Best of both worlds. There are plenty of posts from people from bigger cities who visit and move to Richmond and are impressed by Richmond's offerings. You see what you want to see.

Last edited by mpier015; 09-20-2021 at 07:17 AM..

Old 09-20-2021, 07:07 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
As for people visiting Richmond….a few months ago a friend visited me from Raleigh for the first time. Of my location on Broad Street right downtown he said “why move to Brooklyn when you can move to Richmond and have a city right at your doorstep”?

I guess you see what you want to. My friend is a hipster type (for lack of a better word) so he noticed the shops and restaurants that appeal to him, a suburbanite may not even notice them because those places don’t resonate with everyone. There is a lot of pedestrian activity downtown, especially on weekends. I wouldn’t call it touristy at all but thousands of people live in or around the central business district and the businesses that cater to those people (barbershops, markets, restaurants and clothing stores) are very well attended.

I personally voted NC but that state is only slightly less of a stretch. VA is most like MD.
Repped, but I think southerners or anyone that compares their city to Brooklyn is kind of cringey. You're not Brooklyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Why would you move it on the weekday but not the weekend??

If it’s so walkable, why even have a vehicle?
I mean there are cars in Manhattan. Maybe he works 10 miles away?

Old 09-20-2021, 07:38 AM

346 posts, read 229,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
@rural and red, Downtown Richmond has plenty of shops and foot traffic. You ever been on Broad? As for the financial district...who the heck wants to be walking down around 9th and main? lol. Makes no sense. Financial districts in most cities are like that, I'm not sure who told you differently. And there are still shops down there because people live down there. There are stores, 7-11's, cvs, restaurants etc scattered around the financial district, just use google. The courts are also down there as well as the back entrance to 4 acres of the capitol district. I don't know why you like to down play things that Richmond is actually good at. The city is very walkable. I posted the walkscore earlier in the thread. I understand that people don't care for that metric, mostly when it doesn't reflect well on their city, but its there none the less. Foot traffic is always out and about in Carytown, Scott's Addition, Churchill near broad, Shockoe, Museum distric etc. These are all areas that are walkable to each other. I guess thats not a big thing to some but most cities Richmond's size have maybe 1 neighborhood like that, not several that are all closely linked and walkable. I mean whats the point of having a "urban" neighborhood if it doesn't have any sidewalks? Richmond is a very neighborhood driven city. Even the smaller, "secondary" or outskirt neighborhoods still have districts of decent amounts of foot traffic and shoppers. Bon Air, Libbie and Grove, Libbie midtown etc. For that good old new urbanism we still have Short Pump, Stony Pointe and Libbie Mill is on the come up. Best of both worlds. There are plenty of posts from people from bigger cities who visit and move to Richmond and are impressed by Richmond's offerings. You see what you want to see.
Exactly, it's neighborhood-driven -- that was the point I was trying to make. All those neighborhoods you listed are indeed walkable. I don't disagree with you on this.

However, downtown seems neglected and even Broad St., while walkable, could use some more revitalization. It reminds me of Market St in Chattanooga a lot -- run down in parts but lots of potential. Have you been there?

Old 09-20-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Exactly, it's neighborhood-driven -- that was the point I was trying to make. All those neighborhoods you listed are indeed walkable. I don't disagree with you on this.

However, downtown seems neglected and even Broad St., while walkable, could use some more revitalization. It reminds me of Market St in Chattanooga a lot -- run down in parts but lots of potential. Have you been there?
Only part of Tenn that I've been to is the Tri cities area. I plan to make my way out to Chattanooga and Knoxville this year. Can't wait.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:18 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
Quote:
Why would you move it on the weekday but not the weekend??

If it’s so walkable, why even have a vehicle?
Because I’m a renovation carpenter and cannot carry my table saw and sheets of plywood on my bike.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Because I’m a renovation carpenter and cannot carry my table saw and sheets of plywood on my bike.
I've owned cars in DC, Philly and Boston now lol. Not sure why being walkable would mean you don't use your car at all.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:43 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
There are some things on this site that is a common theme. People talking about how walkable their city is, how much it has changed and how much it is changing.

If Richmond is so walkable, it should go without lengthy explanations and breakdowns of neighborhood by neighborhood examinations. And for what it’s worth, I’m not saying it’s not walkable.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
There are some things on this site that is a common theme. People talking about how walkable their city is, how much it has changed and how much it is changing.

If Richmond is so walkable, it should go without lengthy explanations and breakdowns of neighborhood by neighborhood examinations. And for what it’s worth, I’m not saying it’s not walkable.
But that is like the entire point of this forum. To break down cities and neighborhoods and locales in general. Its all in good fun.

Last edited by mpier015; 09-20-2021 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City