Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Virginia more similar to Pennsylvania or North Carolina
Pennsylvania 19 15.57%
NC 103 84.43%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 03:36 PM

771 posts, read 624,859 times

Advertisements

Besides the rowhouse architecture, I don't see how Richmond is more similar to Pennsylvania's cities. Even if you ignore the Confederacy, Richmond's history is still southern.

Durham and Richmond aren't clones by any means (Durham's closest peer is Winston-Salem), but there are clearly a handful of similarities between the two. Tobacco legacies, large Black populations, gritty vibes, similar "quirky" neighborhoods (9th Street in Durham is like a smaller version of Richmond's Carytown), and the two cities are literally two hours apart via I-85. They're also in similar regions (Durham = North Carolina Piedmont, Richmond = Virginia Piedmont/Tidewater).

If we're being completely honest, then Danville is probably Virginia's one city that is the most similar to North Carolina, though. Culturally and historically, Danville isn't too dissimilar from Durham, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem. But unlike North Carolina's Piedmont cities, Danville has been in decline for many years.

Last edited by costellopresley82; 09-14-2021 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 07:19 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Besides the rowhouse architecture, I don't see how Richmond is more similar to Pennsylvania's cities. Even if you ignore the Confederacy, Richmond's history is still southern.

Durham and Richmond aren't clones by any means (Durham's closest peer is Winston-Salem), but there are clearly a handful of similarities between the two. Tobacco legacies, large Black populations, gritty vibes, similar "quirky" neighborhoods (9th Street in Durham is like a smaller version of Richmond's Carytown), and the two cities are literally two hours apart via I-85. They're also in similar regions (Durham = North Carolina Piedmont, Richmond = Virginia Piedmont/Tidewater).

If we're being completely honest, then Danville is probably Virginia's one city that is the most similar to North Carolina, though. Culturally and historically, Danville isn't too dissimilar from Durham, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem. But unlike North Carolina's Piedmont cities, Danville has been in decline for many years.
VA is definitely more similar to NC than PA excluding NoVA which is essentailly DC. Though the architecture of Richmond has a lot NE influence, the city/metro is hands-down southern. Both Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA have similar architecutue and are no doubt southern.

I also think cities like Richmond that don't have the traditional southern sun-belt architecture are harder to market than say RDU. I think most people relocating to sun-belt cities aren't craving massive urban enclaves, but rather enough to satisfy a bit of "city-living". Which to the benefit of places like RDU turned out to be perfect timing to densify with new urban style communities that have loads of state-of-art amenities. I don't care what the walkability score indicates, it's a misleading metric that doesn't take into account that a lot of southern city's simply have a different type of urbanity. You can simply navigate around a city like Durham and find tons of urban/suburban mix....it doesn't have to be Brooklyn to meet the needs of most people.

Old 09-15-2021, 05:00 AM

346 posts, read 229,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
VA is definitely more similar to NC than PA excluding NoVA which is essentailly DC. Though the architecture of Richmond has a lot NE influence, the city/metro is hands-down southern. Both Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA have similar architecutue and are no doubt southern.

I also think cities like Richmond that don't have the traditional southern sun-belt architecture are harder to market than say RDU. I think most people relocating to sun-belt cities aren't craving massive urban enclaves, but rather enough to satisfy a bit of "city-living". Which to the benefit of places like RDU turned out to be perfect timing to densify with new urban style communities that have loads of state-of-art amenities. I don't care what the walkability score indicates, it's a misleading metric that doesn't take into account that a lot of southern city's simply have a different type of urbanity. You can simply navigate around a city like Durham and find tons of urban/suburban mix....it doesn't have to be Brooklyn to meet the needs of most people.
What's so traditional about sun-belt architecture? If anything it's considered modern and non-traditional.

Richmond's architecture is not Northern-influenced. In the urban quarters of the city it has iron-wrought balconies, attached and detached rowhomes, cottages, craftsmen-style, victorian plus a whole lot more. Other Southern cities of the same era look similar, like Charleston, Chattanooga, Savannah, New Orleans, Memphis, etc.

Richmond looks nothing like Philadelphia and functions very differently as well. It's closest peer in Pennsylvania would be Harrisburg or Lancaster, definitely NOT Philadelphia.

---

The best way to compare these three states is by analogy:

Virginia and Pennsylvania are like cousins of similar age who share the same colonial grandparents. They were the dominant cultures in their respective regions of the Eastern U.S.

North Carolina is like the younger sibling of Virginia that throughout much of it's history looked up to Virginia, until now.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:39 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

Agree with everything above.

For those saying there's no resemblance in architecture:

Downtown Richmond in it's most built up areas has corners that resemble Pittsburgh just a smaller downtown.

Richmond:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5398...7i13312!8i6656

Pittsburgh:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4429...7i16384!8i8192

Old 09-15-2021, 05:45 PM

15 posts, read 7,712 times
Feels more VA feels more North Carolina to me. Maybe it's their love of basketball and lack of football, maybe its the coastlines. Their Appalachians arent too different either.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:52 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
What's so traditional about sun-belt architecture? If anything it's considered modern and non-traditional.
By traditional, he meant typical.

Quote:
Richmond's architecture is not Northern-influenced. In the urban quarters of the city it has iron-wrought balconies, attached and detached rowhomes, cottages, craftsmen-style, victorian plus a whole lot more. Other Southern cities of the same era look similar, like Charleston, Chattanooga, Savannah, New Orleans, Memphis, etc.
Memphis and Chattanooga aren't really in the same mold, but I'd say Richmond's historic (19th century) urban vernacular probably resembles DC's, Louisville's, Baltimore's, and Wilmington, DE's the most.

Quote:
Richmond looks nothing like Philadelphia and functions very differently as well. It's closest peer in Pennsylvania would be Harrisburg or Lancaster, definitely NOT Philadelphia.
In terms of function, Richmond combines elements of Harrisburg and Philadelphia IMO.

If Raleigh was like Winston-Salem in terms of historical importance, it would be a good approximation of Richmond today IMO.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:52 PM

47 posts, read 30,795 times
north carolina

Old 09-17-2021, 07:14 AM

210 posts, read 199,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Agree with everything above.

For those saying there's no resemblance in architecture:

Downtown Richmond in it's most built up areas has corners that resemble Pittsburgh just a smaller downtown.

Richmond:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5398...7i13312!8i6656

Pittsburgh:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4429...7i16384!8i8192
I live in RVA but Pittsburgh downtown looks nice, actual downtown RVA is kinda sad, it doesn't seem like they know what to do with it.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:29 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
So Virginia feels like Amish country to some?

Old 09-17-2021, 12:03 PM

1,022 posts, read 910,624 times
Virginia does have Amish history dating back to the 1800s and significant Mennonite communities especially in the Valley. I think that Virginia is like most states where it depends on where you are in the state. SWVA has a lot in common with Tennessee. Southside shares a lot of commonalities with NC. The Northern portion of the I-81 corridor has similarities to PA and WVA. Richmond is where Mid Atlantic and South collide. I would say that the Tidewater is its own thing and shares a metro with some of NE NC. NOVA is an extension of DC and shares much with Maryland.

Last edited by mpier015; 09-17-2021 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City