Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Virginia more similar to Pennsylvania or North Carolina
Pennsylvania 19 15.57%
NC 103 84.43%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 12:25 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
So Virginia feels like Amish country to some?
VA and Maryland both have an Amish country actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_in_Maryland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 01:54 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
VA and Maryland both have an Amish country actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_in_Maryland
I mean.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ish_population

Maryland and Virginia have the 15th & 16th largest Amish populations and its insignificant.

PA - 84,000
OH - 80,000
IN - 61,000
WI - 23,000
NY - 22,000
VA - 1,700
MD - 1,600

The states with higher Amish populations are actually the states that seem most similar to Pennsylvania. I think Ohio is very similar to Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania actually feels very different from Virginia to me.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:58 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarino View Post
I live in RVA but Pittsburgh downtown looks nice, actual downtown RVA is kinda sad, it doesn't seem like they know what to do with it.
Downtown Richmond is perfectly fine. It's a traditional, highly functional downtown that works for most people and isn't trying to go the boutique and posh route. I actually find that to be quite refreshing these days.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:45 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Pennsylvania actually feels very different from Virginia to me.
Tell me you've never been to the Shenandoah Valley without telling me you've never been to the Shenandoah Valley.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Tell me you've never been to the Shenandoah Valley without telling me you've never been to the Shenandoah Valley.
Born in NC, 4 years living in DC. What are the odds I haven’t been to Shenandoah Valley? I think Shenandoah seems like the NC mountains. Isn’t it part of the Blueridge Parkway??

That said, clearly this poll is lopsided. So I guess I’m not too far off in my thinking.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:10 AM

346 posts, read 229,367 times
This is the first I've ever heard the Shenandoah Valley likened to Pennsylvania. I don't see it either. It's more like West Virginia and Tennessee, in culture and appearances.

Richmond's downtown is nothing to write home about it. It is dead during the week and dead on the weekends. Very little pedestrian foot traffic -- all cars and massive parking garages. It's not the city's strength, so I agree with Marino there.

The walkable parts of the city with things to see and do are the individual neighborhoods, which usually have a historic and/or colonial feel to them with a modern twist. But the city is uneven and very car-centric overall. This forum does the city a disservice by elevating it's walkability to outsiders, who, when they come here, are disappointed to see most streets quiet. There have been numerous threads like that in the Richmond forums. It just doesn't have the pedestrian foot traffic or walkable cohesion that some are saying. This from someone who lives here.

Last edited by rural & red; 09-19-2021 at 05:26 AM..

Old 09-19-2021, 11:23 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
As for people visiting Richmond….a few months ago a friend visited me from Raleigh for the first time. Of my location on Broad Street right downtown he said “why move to Brooklyn when you can move to Richmond and have a city right at your doorstep”?

I guess you see what you want to. My friend is a hipster type (for lack of a better word) so he noticed the shops and restaurants that appeal to him, a suburbanite may not even notice them because those places don’t resonate with everyone. There is a lot of pedestrian activity downtown, especially on weekends. I wouldn’t call it touristy at all but thousands of people live in or around the central business district and the businesses that cater to those people (barbershops, markets, restaurants and clothing stores) are very well attended.

And the Shenandoah Valley is nothing like the mountainous region of NC. They don’t look alike, they don’t sound alike. North of I 64 the barns are adorned with Pennsylvania Dutch medallions. The Blue Ridge Parkway is south of 64. PA is closer to Virginia than NC along this section that some people say is similar to PA.

I personally voted NC but that state is only slightly less of a stretch. VA is most like MD.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:30 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
Btw, I thought comparing RVA to Brooklyn was goofy. But to his fresh eyes, Richmond appeared vibrant and interesting.

Richmond IS very walkable. I rack up 30,000 steps a day on the weekends. My truck doesn’t even move on the weekend.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Btw, I thought comparing RVA to Brooklyn was goofy. But to his fresh eyes, Richmond appeared vibrant and interesting.

Richmond IS very walkable. I rack up 30,000 steps a day on the weekends. My truck doesn’t even move on the weekend.
Why would you move it on the weekday but not the weekend??

If it’s so walkable, why even have a vehicle?

Old 09-20-2021, 02:19 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
As for people visiting Richmond….a few months ago a friend visited me from Raleigh for the first time. Of my location on Broad Street right downtown he said “why move to Brooklyn when you can move to Richmond and have a city right at your doorstep”?

I guess you see what you want to. My friend is a hipster type (for lack of a better word) so he noticed the shops and restaurants that appeal to him, a suburbanite may not even notice them because those places don’t resonate with everyone. There is a lot of pedestrian activity downtown, especially on weekends. I wouldn’t call it touristy at all but thousands of people live in or around the central business district and the businesses that cater to those people (barbershops, markets, restaurants and clothing stores) are very well attended.

And the Shenandoah Valley is nothing like the mountainous region of NC. They don’t look alike, they don’t sound alike. North of I 64 the barns are adorned with Pennsylvania Dutch medallions. The Blue Ridge Parkway is south of 64. PA is closer to Virginia than NC along this section that some people say is similar to PA.

I personally voted NC but that state is only slightly less of a stretch. VA is most like MD.
Interestingly enough, I have a friend in Richmond who lives on Broad Street also. We've walked to a few places in and around downtown and although I'm no hipster, I also appreciated the locally-owned retailers and various restaurants, as well as the historic commercial storefronts in which they are located, between Broad and Main. And the pedestrian activity has typically been solid most times I've visited. Although the surrounding neighborhoods and commercial districts are more popular places for folks to hang out, downtown itself has enough on its own. At the same time, downtown could become more of a destination with the development of two or three surface lots along Broad as well as doing something about the Coliseum site which isn't a good look at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City