Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which comes out on top
Atlanta 37 43.53%
Charlotte+ Minny 48 56.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 06:49 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Not just a few boutiques. Several. Atlanta is day trip from Charlotte, plenty of people do. It’s logical given the differential in offerings and proximity/relationship. And Not only those end boutiques, but places like Zara. We have 2.

https://charlotte.axios.com/262814/z...arlotte-wants/

This Charlotte author is aware. And knows we have 2. I wonder why.

That aside, you can start a seperate thread on shopping and malls only between the two of you want, it will not go well for your contention.

The rest of that stuff isn’t true, which is why I combined Minny to Charlotte. They have a Zara, for example. The combination is what makes it interesting. Not comparing them individually.
Do you work for Zara? It’s a nice store, but it’s still a worldwide fast fashion store. Nothing special or exclusive about it. I’m sure Charlotte might get one in the near future once the pandemic subsides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 08:40 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,276,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Do you work for Zara? It’s a nice store, but it’s still a worldwide fast fashion store. Nothing special or exclusive about it. I’m sure Charlotte might get one in the near future once the pandemic subsides.
Lol… it is common if you live in Cali or NY.

https://www.scrapehero.com/location-reports/Zara-USA/

It’s not generally place you are going to find in a smaller to midsize metro.

My point isn’t about what Charlotte WILL, it’s about what it has in the present…. And what would motivate its residents to travel to shop. That poster is denying that ppl from Charlotte make day trips to shop here, when they clearly do. You have more variety, higher tier brands and better deals. The gap between us and Miami is smaller than the one between Charlotte and Atlanta on fashio, but if it were 3 hours away I would have no problem admitting that it would make sense to go to Miami to shop.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:19 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
It won’t let me rep you, but good information. I think the size of those communities matter though, right?
Yes and I thought about including populations after posting but figured someone would bring it up.

For both metros, the smallest municipality is on the higher end. I knew Berkeley Lake had been named the most affluent suburb in metro Atlanta in the past which is why I included it; however, it's tiny with just under 2K residents. Among the suburbs listed for Charlotte, Marvin is the smallest with about 6500 residents. And I was unaware that it was that affluent. The Union County suburbs are popular with some Charlotte-area celebrities (Anthony Hamilton used to live out that way) so it shouldn't be a surprise.

For the most part, Atlanta's affluent suburbs are more populated than Charlotte's--which should be expected given the metropolitan size differences between the two. The bulk of Charlotte's other suburbs listed except Huntersville are in the 10-30Kish population range, with Huntersville being the largest at 56K. East Cobb is Atlanta's largest listed here with 161K people. Between Berkeley Lake and East Cobb, the smallest is Peachtree City at 38K and Roswell with 93K and the others falling in between.

The largest incorporated suburb in each metro are roughly the same size with Sandy Springs having 108,080 people and Concord 105,240 people as of the 2020 census. The former has the edge with median household income thought ($83,111 compared to Concord's $75,578).

Old 09-22-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Lol… it is common if you live in Cali or NY.

https://www.scrapehero.com/location-reports/Zara-USA/

It’s not generally place you are going to find in a smaller to midsize metro.

My point isn’t about what Charlotte WILL, it’s about what it has in the present…. And what would motivate its residents to travel to shop. That poster is denying that ppl from Charlotte make day trips to shop here, when they clearly do. You have more variety, higher tier brands and better deals. The gap between us and Miami is smaller than the one between Charlotte and Atlanta on fashio, but if it were 3 hours away I would have no problem admitting that it would make sense to go to Miami to shop.
The article you cited made the point that Charlotte along with St. Louis are anomalies as they are the only top 25 metros without one. Clearly Charlotte has the market to support one but once you get to the Costco/Apple level (e.g., the basic and most essential of metropolitan amenities), it's not uncommon for retailers to skip or hop over certain markets seemingly without rhyme or reason given all the other markets they serve or are entering and many times, it's usually some sticking point involving real estate that the public isn't privy to. Needless to say, when viewing all the markets Zara currently serves in the U.S., I think when it comes to most knowledgeable people, at least as many would argue that Charlotte looks like more of an "accidental" omission than a deliberate one as vice versa, even if at the smaller end of markets.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The article you cited made the point that Charlotte along with St. Louis are anomalies as they are the only top 25 metros without one. Clearly Charlotte has the market to support one but once you get to the Costco/Apple level (e.g., the basic and most essential of metropolitan amenities), it's not uncommon for retailers to skip or hop over certain markets seemingly without rhyme or reason given all the other markets they serve or are entering and many times, it's usually some sticking point involving real estate that the public isn't privy to. Needless to say, when viewing all the markets Zara currently serves in the U.S., I think when it comes to most knowledgeable people, at least as many would argue that Charlotte looks like more of an "accidental" omission than a deliberate one as vice versa, even if at the smaller end of markets.
Again, my point isn’t really that Charlotte can’t support one, though they seem be more pervasive in large to mega metros… I’m just pointing out that these things matter to fashion people irrespective of the reasons. People all over the southeast will make it a point to shop in Atlanta (Charlotte included). That poster is taking that as an attack on Charlotte’s options, which is weird… because im the first to admit that of Miami had a more central location, they would take a lot of our market for shopping here in Atlanta. But the Lenox Macy’s offers one of the best concentrations of affordable to slightly expensive Men’s fashion (in one store) on the east Coast from a volume standpoint.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:56 PM

853 posts, read 336,871 times
I don't really care about Zara but there is one in the Twin Cities, there is also a Bonobos which was on that Buckhead link that Meep posted. I didn't really investigate the other stores but I have never heard of anyone in Minneapolis going to Chicago to shop so I'm not sure that narrative is borne out in the real world. Once a city is big enough it has all the stuff it needs without people having to go to other cities for it. Minneapolis is at that point.

Last edited by Somnifor; 09-22-2021 at 03:05 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Again, my point isn’t really that Charlotte can’t support one, though they seem be more pervasive in large to mega metros… I’m just pointing out that these things matter to fashion people irrespective of the reasons. People all over the southeast will make it a point to shop in Atlanta (Charlotte included). That poster is taking that as an attack on Charlotte’s options, which is weird… because im the first to admit that of Miami had a more central location, they would take a lot of our market for shopping here in Atlanta. But the Lenox Macy’s offers one of the best concentrations of affordable to slightly expensive Men’s fashion (in one store) on the east Coast from a volume standpoint.
I know some folks in the larger region who make the trip to Mall of Georgia to shop, but I'm not sure if that's as true as it used to be for Lenox. In addition to the ability to make purchases online, the crime has gotten so bad in the area within the past two years or so that I can't imagine that it retains the same luster as in years past. I wouldn't be surprised if just as many folks decided to fly up to NYC and make more of a trip out of it.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know some folks in the larger region who make the trip to Mall of Georgia to shop, but I'm not sure if that's as true as it used to be for Lenox. In addition to the ability to make purchases online, the crime has gotten so bad in the area within the past two years or so that I can't imagine that it retains the same luster as in years past. I wouldn't be surprised if just as many folks decided to fly up to NYC and make more of a trip out of it.
Yeah, I’m objective enough to admit that…Lenox since about 2019 is no-go zone. Mainly for white suburbanites though. But plenty of young black people still travel to it, at least. Most of the crime that is done there seems to be from out of towners so I think that suppprta my contention as well.

And the exclusivity people would be traveling for is mainly at shops of Buckhead, which a few miles down from Lenox.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:39 AM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Hopefully Buckhead / Lenox recovers. Right now especially with the demand for Malls in such shoddy condition, this is not exactly easy waters for Lenox Mall to steer through if their customer base falls. I unfortunately have been wondering about this, if Lenox Mall can survive if things don't improve in the near future.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:31 PM

676 posts, read 493,633 times
In the past I've heard of people (mostly blacks) taking trips from both the Triad and the Charlotte area for shopping. Going to Lenox was a big thing. With the explosion in online shopping and of course with the pandemic, I suspect that has dropped off quite a bit. '
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City