Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which comes out on top
Atlanta 37 43.53%
Charlotte+ Minny 48 56.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 04:58 PM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It seems you are ignoring the fact that Minneapolis has much higher crime than Charlotte.
The comment I responded to mentioned Mpls image declining after the riots. No mention of Charlotte in his comment. Mpls+Charlotte is still less crime than ATL. And are we comparing inner city crime or metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 11:27 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
No offense, but "diversity" is not in the OP criteria. IMO.... this claim of more immigrants from Belize to Chile to Madagascar to Finland gets old.
If you're going to pick apart everything I post, at least pay attention to what's being said and why. And it wouldn't hurt to suspend your hatred of Atlanta for once, it hinders your posting ability. Diversity may not be in the OP's criteria, but I was responding to Kaszilla's observation that Atlanta had more crime than MPLS. Minneapolis City & Metro is much less diverse and MUCH whiter than Atlanta. And you can claim it's 'boasting' all day long, but the truth is Atlanta City and Metro are MUCH more ethnically diverse than the Twin Cities. We also have higher numbers for tourists and business travelers, and are a top 5 convention city (along with Chicago ). ALL of these things increase crime unfortunately, primarily property crime. Being a much larger, busier and more prominent place Atlanta is also a target for the criminal element. It just comes with the territory of being a larger place.

Quote:
Sure if a key topic. Here it is not. Just so many cities are very diverse today and some many suburbs. Just this card can get over-played. Then there is being a mecca.

"Guess every cards a winner (for a certain city) .... and every hand is a looser" ....
Again, this is your issue due to your disdain for Atlanta, especially anything you perceive to be a positive if it applies to somewhere else.

Quote:
At least that is what the 80s Country and Pop song -The Gambler by Kenny Rogers has a key sentence on....
Okay?

Quote:
MSP can be a mecca of its own region not dependent of boasting on one race or every ethnic group having a neighborhood. It clearly has some it can boast of. Just not in the criteria for the thread.
Yet again, you are allowing your disdain of Atlanta to interfere with the subject. I simply responded to Kaszilla pointing out that Atlanta had more crime. How mentioning 'much more diverse' somehow becomes Atlanta boasting is your issue alone. It's off topic, and dare I say thin-skinned of you. Absolutely no one 'boasted on one race or every ethnic group having a neighborhood' but you!

Quote:
One thing it can share with the Atlanta region - is a tree-canopy and literal forested parkland in both twin cities. Charlotte no slouch at all either.
True, but this wasn't being discussed?

Quote:
Why is Charlotte again TOTALLY LEFT OUT?
Because Kaszilla stated Atlanta had more crime than MPLS, Charlotte wasn't mentioned.

Quote:
Minneapolis also gets mashed-up. with Charlotte. Even the skylines. If you want to use metros? Ya Gotta add St Paul too.

Minny and Charlotte..... could be a Disney title.
A 'mashed-up' Minneapolis and Charlotte skyline is no match for Atlanta, and adding St. Paul doesn't change things.

Last edited by JMatl; 04-12-2022 at 11:37 PM..

Old 04-12-2022, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
OK? ATL has a higher crime rate.
Is this all you've got? You've mentioned this now several times, and I've explained why. The Twin Cities are much more homogenous than Atlanta.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Most of ATL's diversity comes from the fact that it's in the Deep South and has a high black population. That's not unique to ATL that's typical of the deep south.
No, it's not 'most' of Atlanta's diversity, but it really seems to bother you. Minneapolis is one of the whitest Metro's in the Country, and yes, Atlanta is much more diverse. You don't seem to be comfortable with this, not sure where you live but segregated suburbs haven't been the norm here for decades. I know things are the opposite in most of the Midwest.

Quote:
Mpls's immigrant diversity is more visible imo. ATL doesn't have any walkable ethnic enclaves like Mpls does.
I take it you've never been to Clarkston, one of the main immigrant Gateway suburbs in the Country. And more visible how? The Twin Cities have absolutely no answer to Gwinnett County, not even close. And where's the Twin City equivalent of the 20+ mile long Buford Hwy Corridor that stretches across 3 Counties?

Old 04-13-2022, 09:16 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
The comment I responded to mentioned Mpls image declining after the riots. No mention of Charlotte in his comment. Mpls+Charlotte is still less crime than ATL. And are we comparing inner city crime or metro?
Charlotte is a part of the discussion based on the OP's criteria. Reading is your friend.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:46 AM

824 posts, read 711,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, it's not 'most' of Atlanta's diversity, but it really seems to bother you. Minneapolis is one of the whitest Metro's in the Country, and yes, Atlanta is much more diverse. You don't seem to be comfortable with this, not sure where you live but segregated suburbs haven't been the norm here for decades. I know things are the opposite in most of the Midwest.

I take it you've never been to Clarkston, one of the main immigrant Gateway suburbs in the Country. And more visible how? The Twin Cities have absolutely no answer to Gwinnett County, not even close. And where's the Twin City equivalent of the 20+ mile long Buford Hwy Corridor that stretches across 3 Counties?
Just want to point out that Minneapolis suburbs like Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center are both among the most diverse suburbs in the country and are a lot less white than Minneapolis proper. St Paul is also more diverse than Minneapolis.

Anyways, I’m not really sure the twin cities are more segregated than Atlanta in the first place. Atlanta consistently ranks higher for segregation compared to the twin cities. You can knock the Twin Cities on diversity overall in comparison to Atlanta, but Atlanta isn’t any better with segregation.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:04 PM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Just want to point out that Minneapolis suburbs like Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center are both among the most diverse suburbs in the country and are a lot less white than Minneapolis proper. St Paul is also more diverse than Minneapolis.

Anyways, I’m not really sure the twin cities are more segregated than Atlanta in the first place. Atlanta consistently ranks higher for segregation compared to the twin cities. You can knock the Twin Cities on diversity overall in comparison to Atlanta, but Atlanta isn’t any better with segregation.
Gwinnett County with a population of close to 1 million is around 25% white 25% black 25% hispanic/latino 25% Asian. One of the most diverse counties. When I moved to Atlanta in the 90s as a young boy, Gwinnett county was over 90% white.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:40 PM

663 posts, read 305,841 times
Quote:
If you're going to pick apart everything I post, at least pay attention to what's being said and why. And it wouldn't hurt to suspend your hatred of Atlanta for once, it hinders your posting ability. Diversity may not be in the OP's criteria, but I was responding to Kaszilla's observation that Atlanta had more crime than MPLS. Minneapolis City & Metro is much less diverse and MUCH whiter than Atlanta. And you can claim it's 'boasting' all day long, but the truth is Atlanta City and Metro are MUCH more ethnically diverse than the Twin Cities. We also have higher numbers for tourists and business travelers, and are a top 5 convention city (along with Chicago ). ALL of these things increase crime unfortunately, primarily property crime. Being a much larger, busier and more prominent place Atlanta is also a target for the criminal element. It just comes with the territory of being a larger place.

Again, this is your issue due to your disdain for Atlanta, especially anything you perceive to be a positive if it applies to somewhere else.

Okay?

Yet again, you are allowing your disdain of Atlanta to interfere with the subject. I simply responded to Kaszilla pointing out that Atlanta had more crime. How mentioning 'much more diverse' somehow becomes Atlanta boasting is your issue alone. It's off topic, and dare I say thin-skinned of you. Absolutely no one 'boasted on one race or every ethnic group having a neighborhood' but you!

True, but this wasn't being discussed?

Because Kaszilla stated Atlanta had more crime than MPLS, Charlotte wasn't mentioned.

A 'mashed-up' Minneapolis and Charlotte skyline is no match for Atlanta, and adding St. Paul doesn't change things.
Skylines are subjective. Any mash-up has combined towers and setting. If metros ... On one team is 3-cities Minny/St Paul/Charlotte vs Atlanta and its 3-CBD's.There is no runaway winner and skyline was not a criteria. Plenty criteria the Atlanta OP gave to boast a Atlanta.

I will not debate crime as irrelevant and why would you? You can start a thread on crime if you choose. Why would anyone want to for Atlanta? If you ADD CHARLOTTE. Do you really think it adds a higher crime stat to the match-up? So why even ...

This is the OP's criteria to include.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Combining these two growing Metros, how do they compare to one large one?

-economy
-entertainment
-urbanity
-upscale suburbs
-shopping
-restaraunts/nightlife
-potential
-importance
We just keep in mind this is not a North vs South match-up either ....and not forget Minneapolis metro includes St Paul AND Charlotte.... Hello Charlotte you are still in the game.

We clearly have a Southern belle in both sides of these teams.

Old 04-13-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Skylines are subjective. Any mash-up has combined towers and setting. If metros ... On one team is 3-cities Minny/St Paul/Charlotte vs Atlanta and its 3-CBD's.There is no runaway winner and skyline was not a criteria. Plenty criteria the Atlanta OP gave to boast a Atlanta.

I will not debate crime as irrelevant and why would you? You can start a thread on crime if you choose. Why would anyone want to for Atlanta? If you ADD CHARLOTTE. Do you really think it adds a higher crime stat to the match-up? So why even ...

This is the OP's criteria to include.

We just keep in mind this is not a North vs South match-up either ....and not forget Minneapolis metro includes St Paul AND Charlotte.... Hello Charlotte you are still in the game.

We clearly have a Southern belle in both sides of these teams.
You clearly have reading comprehension issues...for the last time, I WAS RESPONDING TO A CLAIM KASZILLA MADE ABOUT CRIME IN ATLANTA VS MINNEAPOLIS.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:05 PM

663 posts, read 305,841 times
Quote:
You clearly have reading comprehension issues...for the last time, I WAS RESPONDING TO A CLAIM KASZILLA MADE ABOUT CRIME IN ATLANTA VS MINNEAPOLIS.
You should have then been the one yo say "crime" is not in the OP list of criteria.....

You responded to ME in a QUOTE with my ID intact. You used other snippets of quotes with NO ID referenced or means to go back to the full post. When we reply to multiple post YOUR WAY. Basically, it is open in all you posted.

I read I reply. I see crime referenced again and think that it is not in the criteria and double-check the criteria in this thread's first OP post and see it is not listed. I merely say so.

I do not think the OP wants Atlanta crime commented on for Atlanta as someone from Atlanta also ....do you really want it referenced as if a positive vs these other cities? Go ahead and post crime stats then..... just realize there is more to crime than homicides also.

Perhaps we really have nothing new to post in reality. Just bark at each other....

I gave my winner as" Minny and Paul + Miss Charlotte" .... and some whys previously. Some criteria Atlanta metro did actually win. Just the 2-metro in reality... 3-city mash-up was enough for me to claim who I voted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City