Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which comes out on top
Atlanta 37 43.53%
Charlotte+ Minny 48 56.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 06:35 PM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Minneapolis St. Paul and Charlotte do not have the same educational opportunities and amount of diversity. There are zero HBCUs in Minneapolis with no plans for any. Atlanta's economy is the most diverse.

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ga_atlanta_msa.htm

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.mn_minneapolis_msa.htm

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.nc_charlotte_msa.htm

https://www.selectgeorgia.com/yourge...usion_atlanta/
Well yeah there isn't an hbcu most Midwestern cities don't have an hbcu I never argued that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 10:36 AM

663 posts, read 305,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
One thing Minneapolis has that they can keep is the passive aggressive 'Minnesota Nice.' Civil, but not friendly.
That is kind of passive aggressive..

I find them civil and overall less the - you disrespected me kind of folk. Similar to Canadians. A Midwest nice without thin-skin.

Is that like saying - Bless their heart... that can be outward friendly but not really meant to be nice....

Well voting done so thread can be called completed. OP wanted to know who voted how and gave it a limit to vote.... their choice.

Old 04-08-2022, 12:15 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
The sunbelt is generally more flashy and has a newer is better mentality.
Quote:
I'm from Mpls and live an hour from ATL. MSP can give ATL a run for its money despite being smaller. It's not like we're comparing Indianapolis to ATL or something.
Quote:
Well yeah there isn't an hbcu most Midwestern cities don't have an hbcu I never argued that.
You made these very ignorant statements with no facts to back them up. Others have pointed this out to you and you still make these claims. You stated MSP can give Atlanta a run for its money, ALONE, and that is not true. You have not shown in any way how MSP is better other than combining Charlotte to give it a higher GDP.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You made these very ignorant statements with no facts to back them up. Others have pointed this out to you and you still make these claims. You stated MSP can give Atlanta a run for its money, ALONE, and that is not true. You have not shown in any way how MSP is better other than combining Charlotte to give it a higher GDP.
What are you talking about? This is MSP+ Charlotte. And yes imo Mpls can give ATL a run for its money. It's a well rounded city that punches above it's weight. AtL is no Boston, San Franciso, Philly etc. Mpls has what most people want or need in a big city. It's not Indianapolis like I originally stated. I never said Mpls could beat ATL but its no slouch either. Which claim was ignorant? You must live in ATL?

Old 04-08-2022, 02:25 PM

503 posts, read 799,724 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? This is MSP+ Charlotte. And yes imo Mpls can give ATL a run for its money. It's a well rounded city that punches above it's weight. AtL is no Boston, San Franciso, Philly etc. Mpls has what most people want or need in a big city. It's not Indianapolis like I originally stated. I never said Mpls could beat ATL but its no slouch either. Which claim was ignorant? You must live in ATL?
Sorry but how is MSP punching above it’s weight? Isn’t it close to Seattle in population yet pretty far behind? It’s per capita GDP isn’t all that impressive and it’s national profile isn’t very high. I guess the George Floyd situation gave the city some attention but that’s not exactly in a positive light. It definitely flies under the radar for a city it’s size. MSP doesn’t come close to giving ATL a run for it’s money and won’t in the foreseeable future.

Old 04-08-2022, 02:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I actually agree in the sense that if you live in Minneapolis, or any city around that size, you won't be missing much besides local differences in culture or geography/weather. You may not get to work at the CDC but there's still medical research in the area.

Old 04-08-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
Sorry but how is MSP punching above it’s weight? Isn’t it close to Seattle in population yet pretty far behind? It’s per capita GDP isn’t all that impressive and it’s national profile isn’t very high. I guess the George Floyd situation gave the city some attention but that’s not exactly in a positive light. It definitely flies under the radar for a city it’s size. MSP doesn’t come close to giving ATL a run for it’s money and won’t in the foreseeable future.
"Pretty far behind". It depends what you mean by that. Seattle has a higher gdp than ATL as well. Mpls punches above it's weight in that it has the highest concentration of fortune 500 companies per capita(Same amount as ATL) one of the leading cities in improving urbanity and walkability, world class museums, one of the best cities for theater, one of the lowest unemployment rates with a diverse economy. I don't see what flying under the radar has to do with anything. Anyways, why is a comment I posted 6 months ago the main topic of this thread? This is Mpls + Charlotte vs ATL not Mpls vs ATL.

Old 04-08-2022, 03:24 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Atlanta. Better airport, higher GDP, more education options, more diverse economies than the combined Charlotte + Minneapolis.

Atlanta has some cachet and is an influencer on a national level, Charlotte + Minneapolis not so much.
Some economic stats

Median annual wages (May 2020):
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI $49,700
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA $42,220
Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC $41,410

Percent Unemployed (February 2022):
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI 2.4%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA 3.2%
Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC 3.7%

GDP per capita (2017, might be outdated):
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI 62,809
Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC 58,604
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA 56,840

Minneapolis seems like the leader of this group in economic outcomes.

Old 04-08-2022, 06:49 PM

47 posts, read 29,209 times
Quote:
"Pretty far behind". It depends what you mean by that. Seattle has a higher gdp than ATL as well. Mpls punches above it's weight in that it has the highest concentration of fortune 500 companies per capita(Same amount as ATL) one of the leading cities in improving urbanity and walkability, world class museums, one of the best cities for theater, one of the lowest unemployment rates with a diverse economy.
Minneapolis is also home to the worlds largest (?) private company, Cargill.

It’s four full seasons- and a superior park system- also provide recreational opportunities not afforded to the Atlanta area.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:34 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
Facts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City