Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which comes out on top
Atlanta 37 43.53%
Charlotte+ Minny 48 56.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 10:37 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

From my perspective, Minneapolis lost a good bit of its shine after Floyd's death and the protests/riots that occurred in the aftermath. Its image wasn't truly reflective of the reality on the ground apparently. I may be biased somewhat but it didn't seem as though the images of Charlotte nor Atlanta suffered in the same way after similar incidents in 2016 (unrest over shooting of Keith Scott) and 2020 (Jacob Blake) respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 10:57 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
That is kind of passive aggressive..

I find them civil and overall less the - you disrespected me kind of folk. Similar to Canadians. A Midwest nice without thin-skin.

Is that like saying - Bless their heart... that can be outward friendly but not really meant to be nice....

Well voting done so thread can be called completed. OP wanted to know who voted how and gave it a limit to vote.... their choice.
This 'thin-skin' trope you keep assigning to places (namely one, actually) is ridiculous. Cities aren't people.

Old 04-08-2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchill View Post
Minneapolis is also home to the worlds largest (?) private company, Cargill.

It’s four full seasons- and a superior park system- also provide recreational opportunities not afforded to the Atlanta area.
Atlanta is four full seasons as well, having extreme winters isn’t considered a positive by the large majority of the population. And the recreational opportunities here are no slouch, trout fishing in the shadow of highrises isn’t a common occurrence.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:44 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchill View Post
Minneapolis is also home to the worlds largest (?) private company, Cargill.
Nobody is checking for Cargill in the same way as Atlanta's colleges and universities. There are no Emory's or Georgia Techs in Minneapolis.

Quote:
It’s four full seasons- and a superior park system- also provide recreational opportunities not afforded to the Atlanta area.
Atlanta has four full seasons. It is not cold, dark, and gloomy for several months out of the year. I liked Minneapolis, but I could not do those type of winters.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:25 PM

663 posts, read 305,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nobody is checking for Cargill in the same way as Atlanta's colleges and universities. There are no Emory's or Georgia Techs in Minneapolis.

Atlanta has four full seasons. It is not cold, dark, and gloomy for several months out of the year. I liked Minneapolis, but I could not do those type of winters.
You are better then this stooping to slights and the ole .... cold dark and gloomy.

Should the old .... hot muggy buggy and swampy-like be used against cities you prefer?

Throw Minneapolis into the Arctic circle with weeks of no sun will you.... We all know Minneapolis has a real a winter as one can get. Then summer comes and ...WOW they finally see the sun....

I live in PA we had a gloomy winter too. Guess I need me some sunny Georgia instead of Florida.

Guess Charlotte is invisible in this very civil discussion. Last I checked it is Southern as Hotlanta. After all.... it is 2 mid-sized cities vs 1 larger one. There is also Minny's fraternal twin (or basically siamese twin) in St Paul. The forgotten sibling perhaps. Whether we include her or not in this comparison. Once you use MSP.... St Paul IS in.

Some people seem to take this as a frigid North vs Nice and warmer South.... well ...say hello to - Charlotte. She waves back.

Last edited by Chi-town; 04-10-2022 at 03:36 PM..

Old 04-10-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
You are better then this stooping to slights and the ole .... cold dark and gloomy.

Should the old .... hot muggy buggy and swampy-like be used against cities you prefer?

Throw Minneapolis into the Arctic circle with weeks of no sun will you.... We all know Minneapolis has a real a winter as one can get. Then summer comes and ...WOW they finally see the sun....

I live in PA we had a gloomy winter too. Guess I need me some sunny Georgia instead of Florida.

Guess Charlotte is invisible in this very civil discussion. Last I checked it is Southern as Hotlanta. After all.... it is 2 mid-sized cities vs 1 larger one. There is also Minny's fraternal twin (or basically siamese twin) in St Paul. The forgotten sibling perhaps. Whether we include her or not in this comparison. Once you use MSP.... St Paul IS in.

Some people seem to take this as a frigid North vs Nice and warmer South.... well ...say hello to - Charlotte. She waves back.
The Twin Cities can be 'swampy feeling' with higher humidity than Atlanta in the Summer, so can Chicago. It's not the normal pattern, but it isn't uncommon some years either. Being 1,000+ feet above sea level in the foothills of the Blue Ridge has its advantages.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The Twin Cities can be 'swampy feeling' with higher humidity than Atlanta in the Summer, so can Chicago. It's not the normal pattern, but it isn't uncommon some years either. Being 1,000+ feet above sea level in the foothills of the Blue Ridge has its advantages.
Sure can with so many graceful lakes in the great state of Minnesota.

They don't call Minnesota - land of 1000 lakes for nothing.... it says so on its license plates. Not 1000 swamps with moss and gators. NO palmetto big boys..... they are not nice.

But mosquitos .... they can be pest. Mostly out dusk and dawn. Wetter the spring can mean a bad season. Drier a better one with less. In a polar arctic blast cold year can help. Surprisingly... Spring in like May is worst for them out then by July it is less. I think I got that right? Maybe not.

But you know how short spring/summers are up North and winters very very Very long. You can almost see Russia...

Love the snowmobile culture.... Lot better then dirt bikes in the city rampant.

Guess you want some dirt to sling at these Northerners...

Here is some.

The Mosquito is the Minnesota state bird....

Minnesota is the only state where you can be bit by a mosquito while shoveling snow....

I can't for other cities. It is called hating them.

Did someone put Chicago in Minnesota?

Last edited by Chi-town; 04-10-2022 at 10:16 PM..

Old 04-10-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Sure can with so many graceful lakes in the great state of Minnesota.

They don't call Minnesota - land of 1000 lakes for nothing.... it says so on its license plates. Not 1000 swamps with moss and gators. NO palmetto big boys..... they are not nice.

But mosquitos .... they can be pest. Mostly out dusk and dawn. Wetter the spring can mean a bad season. Drier a better one with less. In a polar arctic blast cold year can help. Surprisingly... Spring in like May is worst for them out then by July it is less. I think I got that right? Maybe not.

But you know how short spring/summers are up North and winters very very Very long. You can almost see Russia...

Love the snowmobile culture.... Lot better then dirt bikes in the city rampant.

Guess you want some dirt to sling at these Northerners...

Here is some.

The Mosquito is the Minnesota state bird....

Minnesota is the only state where you can be bit by a mosquito while shoveling snow....

I can't for other cities. It is called hating them.

Did someone put Chicago in Minnesota?
Of course not, but it's in the region and you relate to it more than any City. Did you put swamps, moss and gators in Atlanta? We have none of those things here, we're in the foothills of the Blue Ridge.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Of course not, but it's in the region and you relate to it more than any City. Did you put swamps, moss and gators in Atlanta? We have none of those things here, we're in the foothills of the Blue Ridge.
Well say hello to Charlotte. Keep it on Minneapolis vs Atlanta. Charlotte knows Appalachia too. I do also ny my home region now. Appalachia PA. Where a Conservative politics pundit once penned PA between Philly and Pitts as Pennsyltucky. Instead of being just red politically meant ... it took on a meaning of rednecks and mountain folk.

No one from Minneapolis even cares if you see them as inferior. They need to debate no one. See their city commented on they are not here in a need to boast or label. Some cities in a game mean it is no game of opinions. It becomes a dare.

Again, there is a 2 cities mash-up (3 if a metro... cause of St Paul is metro MSP). It is not Just a Minneapolis vs mighty Atlanta.

It is just as game of sorts.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:45 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
There are zero HBCUs in Minneapolis with no plans for any.

By definition an HBCU must be established prior to (I think) 1964.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City