Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle or Montreal
Seattle 29 28.43%
Montreal 73 71.57%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 02:15 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,996,337 times

Advertisements

Speaking of weather, I used to post on a Canadian centric forum and Quebecers would complain loudly anytime a heatwave went their way. Having to walk around in muggy upper 80s/lower 90s is not fun stuff. Seattle gets heatwaves, but at least they're usually dry.

Montreal is the prettier setting most of the year, but when the weather is right you gotta give it to Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 02:53 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Montreal

Food: Montreal
Culture:Montreal
Nightlife/Entertainment: Montreal
Economy: Seattle
Scenery: Seattle
Urbanity:Montreal
Tourism: Montreal
Climate: Montreal
Shopping: Meh
QOL: Tie
COL: Montreal
Brighter Future: Montreal
Prefer to live: Montreal
Prefer to visit: Montreal

Old 01-07-2022, 03:24 PM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
I'd probably give Montreal food, culture, nightlife, cost of living and urbanity. And probably the rest to Seattle (except for tourism, not sure what that means that isn't already covered in the other categories).

I like both cities a lot, but if forced to choose to live in one would pick Seattle based on the economy & climate. Montreal is COLD, and I grew up in New England.

That said, Montreal does have a charm & coziness that you would never find stateside (or in non-French Canada, for that matter).

Memory Lane: when I was a teenager in the mid 90's we would go up there for weekends ("Mom, we're going skiiing in Vermont with so and so's parents"), and it was this amazing den of vice. Rue St. Catherine was the seediest main thoroughfare I've ever seen, and it was wonderful. You could find trouble anywhere you looked for it, in the best possible way. I went back a few years ago with my wife and couldn't believe it. Everything has been cleaned up (well, except for the most famous of Rue St. Catherine establishments that shall remain nameless). I didn't see hordes of drunk 16-year-old kids from the Boston suburbs, so I'm guessing that was by design. Ah, Montreal.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Speaking of weather, I used to post on a Canadian centric forum and Quebecers would complain loudly anytime a heatwave went their way. Having to walk around in muggy upper 80s/lower 90s is not fun stuff. Seattle gets heatwaves, but at least they're usually dry.

Montreal is the prettier setting most of the year, but when the weather is right you gotta give it to Seattle
Do most people in Montreal have AC? That’s what makes heat more unbearable in Seattle - most people don’t have it. And yes- normally it’s a dry heat here in the summer which will cool off somewhat at night except when there’s smoke, which sort of acts as a heat blanket.

Old 01-07-2022, 04:21 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times
Montreal: win at urbanity Seattle: win at natural settings (IMO).

Old 01-07-2022, 04:22 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Is it better to have a lot of hills so you're always on or near one, or one big hill?

Old 01-07-2022, 04:25 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Is it better to have a lot of hills so you're always on or near one, or one big hill?
After our recent snow storm, I’d prefer NO hills! At least when I have to drive up and down them .

I do like the hills in and around Seattle most of the year though - they offer some unique vantage points.

Old 01-07-2022, 04:25 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
For the most part I’d say the hips present in both Seattle and Montreal are not really large enough to have some recreational value. Mont Royal is generally a very nice park though.

Nobody is taking a hiking trip to a 300 foot hill covered in 0.2 acre plots of duplexes or whatever

Old 01-07-2022, 05:07 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
For all of the flack that Mount Royal seems to be getting here (and I get it -- it's a hill, and not so much a mountain, and absolutely does NOT compare to the mountains of Washington State) one thing that does stand out about it, is the views you can get once you hike to its lookout spots...

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5034...7i13312!8i6656

And trust me: This here does it no justice. Seeing in person is beautiful.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:18 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Speaking of weather, I used to post on a Canadian centric forum and Quebecers would complain loudly anytime a heatwave went their way.
The same people who complain about the cold and snow in the winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City