Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle or Montreal
Seattle 29 28.43%
Montreal 73 71.57%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 03:48 PM

638 posts, read 348,077 times

Advertisements

I love Montreal for its unique history and cityscape. However I prefer Seattle for its access to nature and natural beauty. Seattle simply has access to better outdoor amenities and unique geological formations that don’t exist near Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 04:13 PM

444 posts, read 282,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
I love Montreal for its unique history and cityscape. However I prefer Seattle for its access to nature and natural beauty. Seattle simply has access to better outdoor amenities and unique geological formations that don’t exist near Montreal.
Montreal is built around a mountain in the middle of a river with rapids.
This is much more unique geographically than Seattle.

Old 01-06-2022, 04:25 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Mt. Royal looks cool but it's not terribly unique.

In Seattle you can take a day trip to a glacier, a rainforest, and a desert any day of the year. There's a 10:1 ratio in rainfall within a short distance. Meanwhile from Downtown you're in bicycle range of endless amounts of saltwater, giant lakes, much larger mountains (real mountains), and so on. Sailing is huge. In-town walks cover hills and ravines. A much larger variety of sports are open to you, omitting winter sports unless you're in the mountains.

Last edited by JMT; 01-06-2022 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-06-2022, 04:34 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Montreal>>>Seattle overall. The only thing the latter has is the economy, and even then is Montreal's economy terrible?

Old 01-06-2022, 05:49 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,652,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Montreal>>>Seattle overall. The only thing the latter has is the economy, and even then is Montreal's economy terrible?
Our economy has taken a huge hit with covid, but covid aside, it's been improving dramatically and went into high gear around 2017. Lots of growth in tech/AI/gaming and finance, along with the biomedical and multimedia fields as well to name a few.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:47 PM

638 posts, read 348,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Mount Royal in Montreal is only a small hill.

Seattle has more unique geography. Situated near Puget Sound with two glaciated mountain ranges (Olympics and Cascades) on both sides and active volcanoes nearby. Montreal has none of that.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 01-06-2022 at 07:56 PM..

Old 01-06-2022, 10:02 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Please explain how Seattle’s Geography is not unique? Montreal is a beautiful environment but the PNW is one of the most beautiful bioregions in the planet.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:06 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I would argue Seattle has a better economy, scenery (nature, not architecture), and a brighter future given its growth and development. Seattle isn’t a slouch in any of those categories either. Montreal is just a bigger more cosmopolitan city, no shame in that.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:17 AM

444 posts, read 282,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Please explain how Seattle’s Geography is not unique? Montreal is a beautiful environment but the PNW is one of the most beautiful bioregions in the planet.
I have mentioned several times in this thread why seattle geographically isn't unique by comparing it to a nearby Canadian city but the moderator keeps deleting it because i mention another city.

Please mention a city that has Montreal geographic feature then if it's not unique, a city that grew up around the foot of a mountain on an island surrounded by rapids.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 01-07-2022 at 01:29 AM..

Old 01-07-2022, 01:32 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Lol. Just stop. I look out my window and I see jagged mountains covered in glistening white snow. I see also a fjord and inlet of the Pacific Ocean with massive container ships and cruise ships and real bald eagles flying over the sea. I look in the other direction and I see a stratovolcano.

Montreal has a hill, a little bit taller at its very peak than the one my house sits on in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City