Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle or Montreal
Seattle 29 28.43%
Montreal 73 71.57%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 07:07 PM

153 posts, read 110,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
When was the last time you spent significant time in Seattle? It went through a dramatic transformation between 2010 and 2020 - the core of the city basically doubled in skyscrapers, density, vibrancy, etc.
I visited in September last. It was definitely a lot better than the last time I visited years ago, but still has a ways to go to catch up to Montreal. I think it will rival or eclipse Montreal in the next few decades if it continues to grow so quickly. Not sure if the cost of living will slow that growth down or not, we will see.

Montreal's main st:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5013...4!8i8192?hl=en

Seattle's main street/station:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6116...7i16384!8i8192

Seattle is definitely not bad at all, but I personally think Montreal wins (for now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 07:18 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
When was the last time you spent significant time in Seattle? It went through a dramatic transformation between 2010 and 2020 - the core of the city basically doubled in skyscrapers, density, vibrancy, etc.
As has Montreal… Including entirely newly developed neighborhoods that would be an entire “downtown” in lots of American metros. Its height restrictions make its skyline look less imposing than Seattle's, but that's the only aspect of "urbanity" (if you consider that to be one) where I think Seattle has it beat.

Montreal’s urban structure also extends far beyond its core, and in all directions, and this is where it stands out even further.

For a city of its size, compared to other North American cities, it’s an urban monster.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 01-04-2022 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-04-2022, 07:20 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Montrealby a country mile. It’s more fun, more culturally interesting, more urban.

Seattle’s got nicer winters that’s about it.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:22 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Montreal is a bargain for Canada too. The French-speaking part significantly limits housing demand among English-only speakers since the job market in Montreal is terrible for English-only speakers.
That doesn’t really speak to the quality of the city but the quality of you as an economic asset.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:09 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,888 times
This is kind of an unfair fight on City-Data. Alot of this comes down to differences between US and Canadian cities of similar size. Montreal historically, culturally, and politically is far more important to Canada than Seattle is to the US.

Montreal is the party capital of Canada, has some of the most unique architecture and culture on the continent, old cobble stone streets line a romantic city. Seattle just can't beat that on a forum of city lovers like this.

However, when you start looking deeper at some of the less romantic features of Montreal, you can't start to see why it's growing at a slower pace than almost every other major city in Canada. The extreme cold and one of the worst economies of Canada lead to the city's growth rate to be out paced by Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and even Ottawa.

I think when you look at the most important features to the average person, life in a city Seattle edges Montreal out with a stronger economy, mild weather, an abundance of outdoor recreation, and good urban amenities for it's size.

Montreal is indeed a more interesting place to visit. Maybe preferable to live if you are younger, no kids, can work remotely, and don't mind the cold.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:28 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
This is kind of an unfair fight on City-Data. Alot of this comes down to differences between US and Canadian cities of similar size. Montreal historically, culturally, and politically is far more important to Canada than Seattle is to the US.

Montreal is the party capital of Canada, has some of the most unique architecture and culture on the continent, old cobble stone streets line a romantic city. Seattle just can't beat that on a forum of city lovers like this.

However, when you start looking deeper at some of the less romantic features of Montreal, you can't start to see why it's growing at a slower pace than almost every other major city in Canada. The extreme cold and one of the worst economies of Canada lead to the city's growth rate to be out paced by Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and even Ottawa.

I think when you look at the most important features to the average person, life in a city Seattle edges Montreal out with a stronger economy, mild weather, an abundance of outdoor recreation, and good urban amenities for it's size.

Montreal is indeed a more interesting place to visit. Maybe preferable to live if you are younger, no kids, can work remotely, and don't mind the cold.
Very accurate post. Montreal gets boosted by a certain kind of Americans IRL to begin with nevermind on CD. I think most NE Liberal Educated types love Montreal more than the Canadians do, other than the Quebecois.

My friends from BC / Ontario basically never talked about Montreal and seem more interested in American cities like Miami / Vegas / LA and much more interested in talking about Toronto

For a summer vacation Montreals wil be more exciting but the realities of long term residence are different

Old 01-04-2022, 09:39 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:

Exactly. Many of the posts are through the lens of people with no foreseeable plan to lay down roots and/or is not raising a family.

That's a completely different conversation than what place is best for pretentious, globally minded hipsters to coalesce and drink on a friday night.

LOL

Old 01-04-2022, 09:48 PM

117 posts, read 80,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Montrealby a country mile. It’s more fun, more culturally interesting, more urban.

Seattle’s got nicer winters that’s about it.
Yes, we know you hate Seattle. But to say all it has is nicer winters is ridiculous. It has a better live music scene as others have pointed out, better food if you prefer Asian and Seafood, way better scenery and day trips options (islands, rainforest, mountains, national parks), better breweries (including arguably the best brewery district in America) and distilleries, better farmers markets, way better economy, and a totally different array of attractions.

Last edited by TheEggHead; 01-04-2022 at 10:01 PM..

Old 01-04-2022, 10:01 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
I am not sure Seattle has a better live music scene if one counts the francophone music scene which is the largest music scene in Montreal.

I understand it's not relevant to most people on here but it is a bona fide dynamic music scene that's both national and international in scope.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:39 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,651,397 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Exactly. Many of the posts are through the lens of people with no foreseeable plan to lay down roots and/or is not raising a family.

That's a completely different conversation than what place is best for pretentious, globally minded hipsters to coalesce and drink on a friday night.

LOL
Worst economy in Canada? A city that has one of the fastest growing tech industry in North America, a global financial centre, strong wage growth, lots of international companies setting up shop here or relocating their HQ's etc.. , far from the "worst economy in Canada". Before the pandemic, Montreal was leading the country in terms of GDP growth for cities. Montreal is also no slouch in outdoor recreation too, we are underrated for that.

Also, hilarious that you would think Montreal is not a good place for raising a family, when it's one of the best on the continent for that. Again, $7 daycare, abundance of tax credits for families and children, low COL/high QOL, very safe, diverse, Cegep is free if you become a resident, University is the cheapest in North America. I'm tired of (mainly Americans) who think Montreal is only a party city that is good for single people/hipsters only. This mentality is so outdated it's not funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City