Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 10:56 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Despite the continuous Asian growth, they’re well behind Hispanic, Black and White to become the dominant culture in Houston. Houston really has no racial dominant culture in 2022, it’s too diverse to put it in one. If anything, it’s a mix of things.

Black culture is basically the dominant pop culture of the United States at this point in time and this trickles down well to Houston.
This is an interesting point that leads to so many questions. If Black culture is the dominant pop culture of the US right now, doesn't that culture exist in most cities now? Doesn't it become something you can experience almost anywhere? At a party, the DJ is playing the same stuff, the bottle service girls are bringing out the same blinking lights/sparklers, hookah is available to smoke, it is anywhere USA.

The "only" thing that can make a place unique is community. The different kinds of community create those experiences. That is why I focus on community. There are a number of things within Black culture that are unique when talking about Black culture in combination with community.

1. Is the community "elite" meaning educated with a high median income?

There are many communities with high educational attainment, but not many are predominantly Black.

2. Is the neighborhood walkable with access to amenities on foot?

There are many walkable neighborhoods in cities which have become very popular and expensive because of the amenities and lifestyle they offer, but not many are predominantly Black.

3. Are there many businesses in the neighborhood?

There are many neighborhoods with businesses, but how many are Black owned?

4. Are there festivals in the neighborhood and other cultural events?

There are many neighborhood festivals and cultural events all over the nation, but are those festivals and cultural events focused on Black culture?

5. Who lives in the neighborhood?

A neighborhood can host and be home to all the things I mentioned, but if Black people don't live there, it isn't their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 11:00 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Eh. Of those three states, there are clear differences particularly in taxation, public services, public education, infrastructure, abortion rights, gun laws, etc.

I suppose it definitely depends on your personal politics and what you're willing to tolerate, but a place like Texas, while fostering a state where one can do quite well economically, seems openly hostile to folks like me and that look like me. I think it's important in these discussions to not only talk about what city is better for black folks but also how the state government can affect one's lived experiences there. For example I would be vary vary wary of raising black children in Texas.
Im curious as to why you think Texas is hostile to people who "look like you"? What is it that you look like that you feel Texas would be hostile? I ask because Im an Arab and a Satanist (Satanic Temple) on top of that. Im covered in tattoos from mid wrist upwards and I often where pentagram shirts while still looking Middle Eastern. Ive literally had no trouble here and that includes places like Amarillo and Tyler.

Texas has the single largest black population in the US and the fastest growing one. While almost all of that is Houston and DFW, a good chunk is also families.

Yeah, the state governments of Texas, California, Florida, and New York are all garbage, but they are different types of garbage. Before the pandemic, I would have gladly taken California's brand of garbage over Texas'. Now, Im not sure. The whole pro-life dogma is stupid, but it wouldnt trump a lot of other things.

You are absolutely correct that it depends on personal politics, but Im curious as to why you think living in a place like Houston or DFW (with their popularity among black transplants) would be openly hostile towards you?

Old 05-24-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Despite the continuous Asian growth, they’re well behind Hispanic, Black and White to become the dominant culture in Houston. Houston really has no racial dominant culture in 2022, it’s too diverse to put it in one. If anything, it’s a mix of things.

Black culture is basically the dominant pop culture of the United States at this point in time and this trickles down well to Houston.
Yes, black culture is the dominant culture in Houston for pop culture exports but I do wonder how long that will last. Houston's Hispanic cultural exports are cranking out hard right now. I honestly dont know the answer, but I imagine Hispanics will share the stage with black cultural exports.

As far as Asians, the Asian exports from Houston come mostly from culinary items. They are growing super fast here, but they really don't put much out in the way of art or music here. Thats honestly true for anyplace not California or NYC.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:06 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Im curious as to why you think Texas is hostile to people who "look like you"? What is it that you look like that you feel Texas would be hostile? I ask because Im an Arab and a Satanist (Satanic Temple) on top of that. Im covered in tattoos from mid wrist upwards and I often where pentagram shirts while still looking Middle Eastern. Ive literally had no trouble here and that includes places like Amarillo and Tyler.

Texas has the single largest black population in the US and the fastest growing one. While almost all of that is Houston and DFW, a good chunk is also families.

Yeah, the state governments of Texas, California, Florida, and New York are all garbage, but they are different types of garbage. Before the pandemic, I would have gladly taken California's brand of garbage over Texas'. Now, Im not sure. The whole pro-life dogma is stupid, but it wouldnt trump a lot of other things.

You are absolutely correct that it depends on personal politics, but Im curious as to why you think living in a place like Houston or DFW (with their popularity among black transplants) would be openly hostile towards you?
The phrasing I used the other black posters will understand what I mean. And with all due respect, that's great that you haven't had any issues in Texas but your experience isn't applicable to black people.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
The phrasing I used the other black posters will understand what I mean. And with all due respect, that's great that you haven't had any issues in Texas but your experience isn't applicable to black people.
That's fair. Maybe Southernboy or Mr. Clutch can describe the ways in which Texas is hostile to black people since they live here and have had to experience what is applicable. Then we can at least quantify or qualify it.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 05-24-2022 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-24-2022, 11:14 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Yes, black culture is the dominant culture in Houston for pop culture exports but I do wonder how long that will last. Houston's Hispanic cultural exports are cranking out hard right now. I honestly dont know the answer, but I imagine Hispanics will share the stage with black cultural exports.
Because of the second paragraph in my post, it will likely culturally stay that way for some time. In America in general, black culture is the face of pop culture exports. There are exceptions of course, Austin, Denver, Portland etc. But overall, the drive of America’s pop culture exports in 2022 come from black culture. Even Miami which is Cuban heavy is a trendy black culture hotspot.

The Hispanic culture of Houston, Miami, Dallas, LA, etc are all loud but they’re loudest when viewed by other Hispanics. White guys are starting to listen to Bad Bunny now so who knows what will happen in the future. Generally, when a place is as diverse as Houston (or Dallas) is, whatever the loudest face in America is will take the face of the scene.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:

As far as Asians, the Asian exports from Houston come mostly from culinary items. They are growing super fast here, but they really don't put much out in the way of art or music here. Thats honestly true for anyplace not California or NYC.
When you say Black culture is the dominant culture in Houston, what do you mean? What are some of the Black cultural events in Houston? Festivals? Block parties? Black Owned Business Focused Markets?

Also, what kind of programming exists on the Black commercial corridors?

Old 05-24-2022, 11:31 AM

Does anyone know about any Black cultural events, festivals, block parties, Black owned business focused markets in Dallas? I haven't seen much at all about Dallas in this thread.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:44 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This might have been covered, but I'm curious if Dallas has any city neighborhoods that would appeal to black professionals or that they go with?

Also, between the Best Southwest outside of Dallas or the Fort Bend suburbs, which would you say has the higher black middle class suburban concentration?
That's a tough question because we are comparing two radically different areas as far as size is concerned. The total population of the existing Best Southwest is roughly 190,000 while the black population of Fort Bend is 170,000. For a more even comparison, if you throw in the newer suburbs to the South: Glenn Heights + Red Oak + Ovilla + Oak Leaf as well as South Grand Prairie, SW+SE Arlington and Mansfield, it's more comparable. You could also add 75249 in Dallas to make it more contiguous.

The nicest part of this area is 75054, which has a really good location borders nice areas in Mansfield, Arlington, Cedar Hill and Grand Prairie. It's in Grand Prairie and has a median income of 136,000 USD, a population of 13,000 and is plurality black.

When you compare the above area to Fort Bend County, it probably blows Fort Bend out of the water, in terms of Black Wealth. I would have to add the populations of

75249 + Duncanville + DeSoto + Lancaster + Cedar Hill +Glenn Heights + Ovilla + Red Oak + Oak Leaf + Mansfield + 75054 + South of I-20, 75052 + 76017 + 76018 + 76001 + 76002

This area is pretty contiguous area of 20%+ black population. It's also much more similar to Fort Bend in population although a smaller area. In a few years Oak Leaf + Ovilla will become blacker and that will probably spread to Midlothian and Waxahachie. Theirs's also poorer towns towards I-45 from Ennis to Hutchins, but don't know if any of those towns will ever get the income needed to be considered a place with black professionals.

Now since this is way more curated you could probably add, NW Brazoria County to Fort Bend, or South Cypress/North Katy and SE Katy to Fort Bend to curate that area more to have more black middle class people.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
That's a tough question because we are comparing two radically different areas as far as size is concerned. The total population of the existing Best Southwest is roughly 190,000 while the black population of Fort Bend is 170,000. For a more even comparison, if you throw in the newer suburbs to the South: Glenn Heights + Red Oak + Ovilla + Oak Leaf as well as South Grand Prairie, SW+SE Arlington and Mansfield, it's more comparable. You could also add 75249 in Dallas to make it more contiguous.

The nicest part of this area is 75054, which has a really good location borders nice areas in Mansfield, Arlington, Cedar Hill and Grand Prairie. It's in Grand Prairie and has a median income of 136,000 USD, a population of 13,000 and is plurality black.

When you compare the above area to Fort Bend County, it probably blows Fort Bend out of the water, in terms of Black Wealth. I would have to add the populations of

75249 + Duncanville + DeSoto + Lancaster + Cedar Hill +Glenn Heights + Ovilla + Red Oak + Oak Leaf + Mansfield + 75054 + South of I-20, 75052 + 76017 + 76018 + 76001 + 76002

This area is pretty contiguous area of 20%+ black population. It's also much more similar to Fort Bend in population although a smaller area. In a few years Oak Leaf + Ovilla will become blacker and that will probably spread to Midlothian and Waxahachie. Theirs's also poorer towns towards I-45 from Ennis to Hutchins, but don't know if any of those towns will ever get the income needed to be considered a place with black professionals.

Now since this is way more curated you could probably add, NW Brazoria County to Fort Bend, or South Cypress/North Katy and SE Katy to Fort Bend to curate that area more to have more black middle class people.
While the 75054 zip code doesn't have many people, it does have very impressive median Black household income.

Zip Code 75054 Black Household Median Income

Zip Code 75054 Total Black Households = 1396 households

Less than $10,000 = none

$10,000 to $14,999 = none

$15,000 to $19,999 = none

$20,000 to $24,999 = 107 households

$25,000 to $29,999 = 10 households

$30,000 to $34,999 = 16 households

$35,000 to $39,999 = 12 households

$40,000 to $44,999 = 18 households

$45,000 to $49,999 = none

$50,000 to $59,999 = 37 households

$60,000 to $74,999 = none

$75,000 to $99,999 = 225 households

$100,000 to $124,999 = 174 households

$125,000 to $149,999 = 228 households

$150,000 to $199,999 = 440 households

$200,000 or more = 129 households

Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City