Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas for Black Professionals
Houston 54 69.23%
Dallas 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2022, 01:40 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
When you say Black culture is the dominant culture in Houston, what do you mean? What are some of the Black cultural events in Houston? Festivals? Block parties? Black Owned Business Focused Markets?

Also, what kind of programming exists on the Black commercial corridors?
He didn’t say it. I said it first; he was just reiterating what I said. Also, he’s not black, so he won’t give you a detailed description like I’ve been giving you. Maybe, you don’t wanna listen to what I have to say because I’m not giving you want you want to hear.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 01:48 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
He didn’t say it. I said it first; he was just reiterating what I said. Also, he’s not black, so he won’t give you a detailed description like I’ve been giving you. Maybe, you don’t wanna listen to what I have to say because I’m not giving you want you want to hear.
Sorry man, I didn't see you post any Black festivals. You said there were Black businesses, but you didn't list them. Did you say what kind of Black cultural programming exists along those corridors? I will go back and read your response.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:48 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
That's probably a fair ranking. Do you anticipate Houston's dominant culture staying Black? Particularly as the Hispanic and Asian populations continue to grow as well?
I think it will stay like that for the foreseeable future. Honestly, even though blacks are the longest living minority in this country, we still have a few places where we can go to feel comfortable; we, just like other races, will gravitate towards those areas. Houston has always been a black friendly city, but as time transitions, the buzz is only going to get bigger and bigger and bigger.

Even though Hispanics are the majority in Houston, the Hispanics don’t dominate here the way they do in San Antonio, El Paso, Miami, etc. There may be a lot of Asians here, but the Asians don’t dominate here they way they do in the Bay, Seattle, etc.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:52 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
I went back to read your response earlier in the thread. Is this what you're referring to?

Quote:
Lol. Are you doing an essay?

Which inner loop neighborhoods have the highest concentration of Black nightlife in Houston?
- Third Ward
- Almeda Corridor (between Cleburne and Binz)
- Midtown/Fourth Ward

Outside the Loop
- Humble along the Beltway
- 1960 (between Willowbrook and Humble)
- Richmond Ave (between Fountainview and Chimney Rock)
- SW Houston, which includes the African and Caribbean spots

Are those neighborhoods predominantly Black neighborhoods?
- Third Ward is mostly black.
- Forth Ward and Midtown are over 1/3 black.
- Humble is becoming mostly black; the areas along the Beltway range from 40-60% black.
- 1960 is a loooooong street. It varies from 25-70%.
- Richmond Ave has similar demographics to 1960.
- SW Houston is heavily International and is the place where you’ll find a great percentage of Houston’s Africans and Caribbean population.

If you were recommending a neighborhood to a young Black professional that wanted to live around other Black people that look like them, which neighborhood would you recommend from your time in Houston?
- Energy Corridor is a nice area, where many young blacks move to. They mostly work in oil and gas. This area ranges from 20-35% black.
- WestChase varies. Some areas are nice (the areas that border the Energy Corridor), while some areas are hood. This area ranges from 30-60% black.
- Third Ward is gentrifying, unfortunately, but it’s over 50% black. It is the epicenter of Houston’s black culture, while Fifth Ward is the epicenter of Houston’s Creole culture.
- Pearland is becoming blacker by the day. So many black businesses have opened up there recently.
- Manvel/Iowa Colony/Rosharon area is getting spillover from Mo City and Pearland. This area has Meridiana, which a new community, and it’s going to be huge. This area has grown pretty black, with Iowa Colony have a black plurality: 39%.
- Richmond is the black Katy. Many African Americans, Africans, and Caribbean live there. It’s pretty new, so it’s so refreshing to see black people doing their thing.
- Humble/Atascocita is the “Richmond” of the Northeast but without the black diversity; it’s majority African American.
- Spring is a nice area overall. It’s pretty similar to Humble but it’s like a black The Woodlands. Pick your area of Spring wisely because some areas are a little rougher.
- FM 529 (between Highway 6 and the Grand Parkway) is a sleeper. Many black families live along this corridor. This area is where Cypress and Katy meet.
- Central SW is the area between NRG and Pearland. It’s booming with new houses and apartments. It’s like 60% black. I hate that it doesn’t have many grocery stores. However, it’s 10 minutes from downtown, 7 minutes from the medical center, 7 minutes from the rail line, 15 minutes from The Galleria, and 15 minutes from Hobby Airport.
- MoCity/Fresno/Sienna area is the original black suburb outside of the city limits. You can never leave this area out the black conversation.

In conclusion, outside of the aforementioned areas, you will still find loads of blackness as far as people, entertainment, and restaurants. Baytown is home to a great deal of Houston’s Caribbean population. Cypress and Katy are attracting many black families. Parts of the southern reaches of The Woodlands and areas along the Harris/Montgomery Counties border have become like 15% black, which is a big deal for that area.

There’s not an area Inside the Loop that’s not touched by blackness. Even The Heights and Washington Ave have black businesses. Hell, you can go to brunch at a couple of black spots in River Oaks.

I always say that Houston does really well with black culture and diversity. It seems that black culture is more of the dominant culture in Houston, even though it’s more of an International city. Yes, there are more Hispanics, but that culture is less profound in comparison to the black culture. Houston’s black culture is equivalent to San Antonio’s Hispanic culture.

You didn't actually list any events meaning names. For instance, what is going on this summer? There has to be a lot of stuff, I just asked could you list some of them. Maybe people reading the thread may want to attend some of them.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:43 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Incredible point!

So now let me ask you this. If what you just said is true about those of us on City-Data being urbanists and our focus being on those "few" Black professionals that are also urbanists, why wouldn't our focus be on Black urban spaces and their improvement? Why wouldn't that be important for every city?

I think Black people on City-Data have a defeatist attitude when it comes to Black urban spaces because there are barely any vibrant and booming examples of them. Why do you think Harlem is so well regarded? Instead of focusing on their creation, we're moving to suburban car-oriented neighborhoods without retail because they are the only places we can afford to live that are nice.
I assume people not raised in a walkable environment don't see the value in it. They would rather drive to new box stores that are comfortable and even chains that are familiar and reliable. It's a different mindset. That's more typical of Americans. Living a comfortable engaging urban, expensive life requires a lot of planning, connections and education, or finessing. Most people want something simpler.

Some people cant maintain up north they see the writing on the wall and move south before hard times set in.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:54 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
I have an honest question for black people who live in Texas.

Earlier in the thread 908boi said this:

"but a place like Texas, while fostering a state where one can do quite well economically, seems openly hostile to folks like me and that look like me. I think it's important in these discussions to not only talk about what city is better for black folks but also how the state government can affect one's lived experiences there. For example I would be vary vary wary of raising black children in Texas."

Are Houston and DFW hotspots for black transplants because they are able to separate the amenities and culture of those two places from the state government viewed as hostile towards black Americans? For black Americans who do reside in Texas, do you find that hostile policies affect your day to day lives? Is it simply a question of hostile policy but not more welcoming people or is a mix of both? Perhaps the ability to make a good living at a reasonable cost of living is the only thing that would provide incentive for Black Americans to come to Texas? Is Texas simply two different worlds where East Texas, Houston, and DFW are one thing and the rest of Texas isnt worth thinking about?

I genuinely curious about this from the perspective of black Texans.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:20 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I have an honest question for black people who live in Texas.

Earlier in the thread 908boi said this:

"but a place like Texas, while fostering a state where one can do quite well economically, seems openly hostile to folks like me and that look like me. I think it's important in these discussions to not only talk about what city is better for black folks but also how the state government can affect one's lived experiences there. For example I would be vary vary wary of raising black children in Texas."

Are Houston and DFW hotspots for black transplants because they are able to separate the amenities and culture of those two places from the state government viewed as hostile towards black Americans? For black Americans who do reside in Texas, do you find that hostile policies affect your day to day lives? Is it simply a question of hostile policy but not more welcoming people or is a mix of both? Perhaps the ability to make a good living at a reasonable cost of living is the only thing that would provide incentive for Black Americans to come to Texas? Is Texas simply two different worlds where East Texas, Houston, and DFW are one thing and the rest of Texas isnt worth thinking about?

I genuinely curious about this from the perspective of black Texans.
There is a liberal tint to CD as well. I kid you not as a whole black people do not care about local politics outside of election time. We won't vote for Republicans. But Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, Nevada and Texas aren't some of the fastest growing states for black population because of politics...

The vast majority of people don't care about politics when they move, although that's increasing as a reason, hence a place like Boise getting a large group of explicit Conservatives, and North Dallas burbs as well. But the current black population largely doesn't care about the culture of politics.

The most invasive law by far is the Abortion ones, and that might have an actual effect. But any other laws Republicans pass in this state is smoke and mirrors to the average black person, when compared to the benefits of Texas.

The effect of the Abortion law still remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it dampened at least the black single-woman migration to Texas and single-woman in general, although I don't know if stats that specific are even kept.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:38 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
What are the benefits of Texas to a black man? The state can't keep its electricity on during 10F weather. States like Washington also have 0% state income tax. Housing/rent aren't cheap. Weather sucks. The economy I'll give you, but you're gonna earn more money up north, CA and Seattle, with a few exceptions.

I'm keeping an open mind, as despite its problems I'm not 100% ruling out moving to DFW or even Houston in the future if I decide to drive, but the rest can kick rocks.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:57 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
What are the benefits of Texas to a black man? The state can't keep its electricity on during 10F weather. States like Washington also have 0% state income tax. Housing/rent aren't cheap. Weather sucks. The economy I'll give you, but you're gonna earn more money up north, CA and Seattle, with a few exceptions.

I'm keeping an open mind, as despite its problems I'm not 100% ruling out moving to DFW or even Houston in the future if I decide to drive, but the rest can kick rocks.
The weather is actually a benefit. While it’s subjective black people are built for hot weather literally. Houston and Southern Nigeria have very similar weather patterns. I personally can’t deal with any cold, I don’t want 4 seasons. I want a longer Spring and Fall and 2 weeks of serious cold is my limit.

Other things that are a big benefit. Political representation, Black Texans are very well represented throughout the state, even though Texas isn’t that much blacker than the National average, we feel culturally I’ve represented. The economy, is the biggest one. Many northern parts of the country the representation isn’t there or limited to big cities. Florida and North Carolina also does well in this category of representation.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:01 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
There is a liberal tint to CD as well. I kid you not as a whole black people do not care about local politics outside of election time. We won't vote for Republicans. But Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, Nevada and Texas aren't some of the fastest growing states for black population because of politics...

The vast majority of people don't care about politics when they move, although that's increasing as a reason, hence a place like Boise getting a large group of explicit Conservatives, and North Dallas burbs as well. But the current black population largely doesn't care about the culture of politics.

The most invasive law by far is the Abortion ones, and that might have an actual effect. But any other laws Republicans pass in this state is smoke and mirrors to the average black person, when compared to the benefits of Texas.

The effect of the Abortion law still remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it dampened at least the black single-woman migration to Texas and single-woman in general, although I don't know if stats that specific are even kept.
Its definitely true that there is a liberal tint on CD. It does make sense though. Its a forum for people who love cities and urban dwellers tend to be more liberal.

I am still somewhat wondering to what degree it affects the life of the black Texan. The opinion given was that the state is hostile towards people who are black and it doesn't seem to be an uncommon opinion. So the question becomes, how does the state's hostility affect the black Texan both on a daily basis and a long term basis?

As an outsider, it almost seems like there is a partition. Houston and DFW might be in Texas but are seen as their own entities. That would explain why those places have such massively growing black populations while the state can still be seen as unpopular by many black Americans.

It definitely isnt just black Americans too. Americans are so politically polarized that states that match their political views are seen favorably while those that dont are seen unfavorably regardless of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City