Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 09:31 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
From my experience NYC wasn't as dirty as people make it out to be. The dirtiest part of NYC imo was the subways. The subways are without a doubt the grimiest experience I had in NYC. But I honestly think LA felt a little more dirtier than NYC. Weird because LA has more beauty with it's natural landscape and beautiful neighborhoods but than it has some straight eye sores that I didn't see outside of NYC subway stations. The homelessness, litter, dirty rv's, graffiti was worst than anything I saw in NY. LA is like a battle of beauty and dirt. Strange dynamic.

Matter fact based on my experiences, Philly, Los Angeles, Newark and New Orleans generally felt dirtier than NYC.

Never been to Boston, but it definitely looks like one of the cleanest major cities in America. Especially for a major Northeast city.

Cleanest cities I've been to were Chicago, Dallas and Charlotte. I kinda expect Dallas and Charlotte to be "clean" since they're "newer" sunbelt cities. It's amazing how clean Chicago is considering how old it's urban core is.
NYC has cleaned up a lot since Y2K, no doubt. My point was there is so much activity above and below ground in NYC that it's just a different beast and the daily activity level alone is going to produce a lot more debris than just about anywhere else on this continent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 10:09 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
I was just in manhattan yesterday and it wasn't all that bad. It was also drizzling. Just random trash and rubbish bags on sidewalks. But for the most part it was good. I didn't go anywhere near Midtown though.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:21 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I was just in manhattan yesterday and it wasn't all that bad. It was also drizzling. Just random trash and rubbish bags on sidewalks. But for the most part it was good. I didn't go anywhere near Midtown though.
Curious, what is your definition of Midtown?

Old 10-03-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Curious, what is your definition of Midtown?
14th to 59th. Above transplant kingdom, below the UES/UWS... including the neighborhoods of Hells Kitchen, Chelsea, Kips Bay and Gramercy.

I think its a pretty standard definition.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:40 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
14th to 59th. Above transplant kingdom, below the UES/UWS... including the neighborhoods of Hells Kitchen, Chelsea, Kips Bay and Gramercy.

Gotcha, well I live in NoMad, just North of MSP, so no chance of ever seeing you, lol.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Gotcha, well I live in NoMad, just North of MSP, so no chance of ever seeing you, lol.
yeah I don't really venture that way unless I have to. However, if I get good recs in Midtown id be up to give it a shot.

I have a friend in Kips Bay. She likes it. Her rent is just under 3k

But yeah back to point, wasn't as dirty as I remembered. I actually think if you remove the rubbish bags of the streets from lack of alleys, its pretty in line with Boston.

I think LA, SF, Seattle and Philadelphia are dirtier than NYC. Its not as bad.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:22 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I don’t think Boston’s budget is actually that big compared to similarly sized cities. It’s tricky since universities and hospitals can’t be taxed and together, those things take up a lot of land and jobs in the city.
And, despite the reputation of Taxachusetts, the city is actually middle of the road as far as effective tax rates. Most certainly, the city/county/state pulls in money in other ways, but it's not like there exists this surplus of tax money for beautification efforts.

As an aside, I'm surprised there haven't been any major income or property tax heights. The city/state are prettttty broke.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:05 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
As an aside, I'm surprised there haven't been any major income or property tax heights. The city/state are prettttty broke.
*cough* Question 1 *cough*

Old 10-03-2022, 02:56 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times
when you're building 250m sq ft of labs, offices and residential,
you can afford to pick up what the litterbugs discard.
#martycash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysJz6bNMfXw

Old 10-03-2022, 03:01 PM

961 posts, read 722,529 times
Quote:

I can say with 100% certainty that Hell's Kitchen is much dirtier than at any time in the last 11 years that I've lived here. The 2020--2022 change has been profound, in a bad way. I commute through there every day en route to my office. It was never "great", but had this weird edginess of some cool restaurants mixed in with a decent amount of old school NYC sketichness. But since the world shut down, and then re-opened, it's mostly the latter. I've seen some things on 9th avenue the past 6 months that I can't un-see.

Other parts of Manhattan seem exactly the same to me, specifically the West Village and Tribeca, which is where we usually go out if we cross the river. Relatively clean, lots of people out. My office is on the High Line and it's as "peak gentrification" as ever.

It really depends where in NYC you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City