Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2022, 10:37 AM

809 posts, read 471,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
Wellesley is an excellent small liberal-arts college, not a research university with a comprehensive roster of graduate programs. If you include her in Boston's tally, you would need to credit NYC with Sarah Lawrence, Philadelphia with Swarthmore, etc.
Yes people think big universities first but forget about the very prestigious and super wealthy undergraduate-focused liberal arts colleges such as Wellesley, Pomona, Swarthmore, Haverford, Bowdoin, Amherst, and Williams, etc. that are pipelines for Ivy+ grad schools. This is very unique to the US compared to other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 10:58 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,818,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
I hear you on that - the road network is a bit small relative to the millions of people along that stretch of I-95 - hard to expand and it isn't smart these days.

With that said, Yale is first CT oriented and then NYC (over 50 trains a day to NYC). It has direct commuter train access to NYC and is in the wider ecosystem. It's not a stretch to link it to NYC - legally it's correct (re: CSA). For reference, the Inland Empire is typically included in LA's global stats - it's a good reference for how New Haven is positioned vis a vis NYC, except with a much better rail network yet worse freeway network than the LA CSA.

Also, it's not that far mileage wise to the NYC border, just a horrendous traffic situation. Tons of Yalies in FFC (CT county fully in NYC media market) and NYC.
All that’s true just seems… ‘generous’ to give it to NYC given that you can get to Philly just as quickly. It’s a NYC oriented school but it’s NYC like Columbia. I think you’d be hard pressed to hear anyone say NYC area has 3 Ivies..

It is faster to drive to Brown from Yale than it is to drive to Columbia and most people drive. Princeton is closer to Columbia/NYC AND faster to get to. Yales top rivals are Harvard and Princeton. For the reasons above it seems generous to count that as an NYC school. When I think of Yale I think of it as a New England Ivy along with Harvard and Brown and to a lesser extent Dartmouth. There’s connection to NYC via CSA but like Princeton (also NYC CSA) I associate it with its host city/nearby city well before NYC. I’m very confident most people associate Yale with New Haven before New York City.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:06 AM

37,183 posts, read 39,463,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
All that’s true just seems… ‘generous’ to give it to NYC given that you can get to Philly just as quickly. It’s a NYC oriented school but it’s NYC like Columbia. I think you’d be hard pressed to hear anyone say NYC area has 3 Ivies..

It is faster to drive to Brown from Yale than it is to drive to Columbia and most people drive. Princeton is closer to Columbia/NYC AND faster to get to. Yales top rivals are Harvard and Princeton. For the reasons above it seems generous to count that as an NYC school. When I think of Yale I think of it as a New England Ivy along with Harvard and Brown and to a lesser extent Dartmouth. There’s connection to NYC via CSA but like Princeton (also NYC CSA) I associate it with its host city/nearby city well before NYC. I’m very confident most people associate Yale with New Haven before New York City.
Yea, and NYC already has enough as it is. Columbia and NYU were mentioned already, and then there's a spate of specialty schools or branches of other schools that are based in the metropolitan area and are top-ranked. It's good enough.

I think LA deserves a nod as a top tier, too, with Caltech, UCLA, arguably USC and UCI (they're in the metro, but maybe don't rank high enough), plus prominent liberal arts colleges and art schools though I'm not sure how those figured into their rankings. I see in their methodology they have top universities listed under the category of Human Capital (with Boston on top), though I didn't dig far enough into it to see how they decided that or what weight it has on overall rankings. They also gave visual and performing arts to Boston which is not understandable to me.
Spoiler

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-22-2022 at 11:17 AM..

Old 12-22-2022, 11:29 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,632,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
FDI in Canada was about 68 billion dollars in 2019. It rose to about 75 billion in 2022.

Of that 68 billion, 30 billion was invested in Ontario and 6.7 Billion in Quebec. So yes, Ontario receives the biggest share of the pie. That said, Canada's GDP is over 2 Trillion dollars. I mean, this is great to get FDI but I think we need to put this into overall perspective. Depending on measure used The GTA/MSA equivalent is between 460 Billion and 520 Billion USD so I hardly think the economy of the Toronto region would crater if not for U.S FDI. Certainly Quebec nor Montreal would either so..

So of the 68 billion the U.S invests about 50 percent of that the rest from other countries - so say 35 Billion dollars.

It should also be pointed out that Canada is the second largest country investing in the U.S with about 20 Billion USD - so there is only a 15 billion dollar difference - on a national economic scale forgive, this is pretty miniscule for either country.

https://santandertrade.com/en/portal...ign-investment

So i'm failing to really see why FDI is thrown around here so much. Its important but this isn't really moving the dial as much as some in here are portraying.

Overrated in what way? The Kearney list? economy? What. Like seriously not everything is about GDP and i'm not crying over T.O's GDP - on a global level its pretty impressive and still stacks up pretty well to peer sized cites in the U.S. Did you check the median household incomes in Toronto and Chicago? Looks like that supersized GDP may not be sprinkled down to the masses as much as it should be. It seems this is more about corporate and the 1 percent chest thumping than how the everyday family is doing.
Always with the comparisons of Toronto to Chicago. They're two different (and great) cities. Whenever Chicago gets brought up though, there's always a Toronto rebuttal (hey look at us! don't forget us. Please!). The AT Kearney list is among the most-respected and time-tested urban ranking systems. It's about as accurate as you're going to find. Chicago and Toronto both fare well and frankly, they are probably placed accurately.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:42 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,818,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, and NYC already has enough as it is. Columbia and NYU were mentioned already, and then there's a spate of specialty schools or branches of other schools that are based in the metropolitan area and are top-ranked. It's good enough.

I think LA deserves a nod as a top tier, too, with Caltech, UCLA, arguably USC and UCI (they're in the metro, but maybe don't rank high enough), plus prominent liberal arts colleges and art schools though I'm not sure how those figured into their rankings. I see in their methodology they have top universities listed under the category of Human Capital (with Boston on top), though I didn't dig far enough into it to see how they decided that or what weight it has on overall rankings. They also gave visual and performing arts to Boston which is not understandable to me.
Like is you were to do this:

Philly- Penn (+Princeton)
NYC- Columbia (+Yale)
Boston- Harvard (+ Brown)

of the three "+" schools Yale is definitely the least connected and associated with the principal city. I wouldn't call it an NYC school any more than I would Princeton.

Im not sure how Boston is tops for Visual or Performing arts either.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:04 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,895,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Always with the comparisons of Toronto to Chicago. They're two different (and great) cities. Whenever Chicago gets brought up though, there's always a Toronto rebuttal (hey look at us! don't forget us. Please!). The AT Kearney list is among the most-respected and time-tested urban ranking systems. It's about as accurate as you're going to find. Chicago and Toronto both fare well and frankly, they are probably placed accurately.
Not sure why you are singling me out. It was as usual someone else who brought the Chicago and Toronto comparison up not from T.O. I was responding to that along with other Toronto comparisons and even comparisons between other cities not named Toronto. So I think you are suffering from a bit of a bias here singling me out - guess it floats your boat

So you just joined in here but peak back at the genesis of the Chicago Toronto comparison and you'll see that didn't pop out of my mouth it was someone else - so maaybe you should have singled him out - i said basically the same thing twice to see if that resonates

In terms of global stature - I think Chicago and Toronto are fairly evenly matched. I'd give Chicago the nod for global big business connections as a whole while i'd give it to Toronto for global human and mom and pop business connections.

As for your comments about 'they look at us' its ridiculous. Toronto isn't really in these vs discussions too much because c v c is an American dominated forum. But my awareness is that C/D is allowing N.A cities in C v C. The fact that some from Toronto engage should be welcomed - instead I have to put up with comments like this. I also try to be balanced overall as much as I can and respect posters who are balanced whom there are a few in here. And then I get this... from you...which is bizarre and uncalled for.

Its also difficult not to bring up Toronto in N.A discussions. Its 90 minutes from Buffalo and actually shares a contiguous urbanized area with the Buffalo MSA in two anglo dominated countries bordering one another with linked histories. It is a prominent city closely linked to a prominent country with prominent cities. Nothing wrong with including it in discussions. No affirmation needed it just is what it is. You should look at it from that perspective rather than worrying about whether i'm worrying if you notice us.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-22-2022 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-22-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Like is you were to do this:

Philly- Penn (+Princeton)
NYC- Columbia (+Yale)
Boston- Harvard (+ Brown)

of the three "+" schools Yale is definitely the least connected and associated with the principal city. I wouldn't call it an NYC school any more than I would Princeton.

Im not sure how Boston is tops for Visual or Performing arts either.

I don't think the bits in () belong to any of the larger cities, but I also don't think Princeton is at this point more closely associated with Philadelphia than it is with NYC. They seem about the same from the couple of people living in NYC and working in Princeton that I know.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:43 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,092,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think the bits in () belong to any of the larger cities, but I also don't think Princeton is at this point more closely associated with Philadelphia than it is with NYC. They seem about the same from the couple of people living in NYC and working in Princeton that I know.
Princeton is basically smack dab in the middle of the state. It's a NJ school through and through. Ask the average person what they know about NJ and they will commonly mention Princeton (the school). As I've said on here before Princeton is its own deal and neutral for purposes of this topic.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:52 PM

51 posts, read 29,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Wow, props to you for reaching out to them!

Out of curiosity, where would you rank Miami at present out of the US cities? I’m thinking something like this, but it’s very debatable as there are a few different angles this could be viewed from.

NYC
Chicago
San Francisco
Boston
Miami

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dallas and LA have a greater number of people in finance, albeit in less important positions.
Wonder what the relative underperformance by LA is caused by, especially for a metro of its size. Could be LA's legacy of being more economically orientated towards industry and manufacturing?

Old 12-22-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Princeton is basically smack dab in the middle of the state. It's a NJ school through and through. Ask the average person what they know about NJ and they will commonly mention Princeton (the school). As I've said on here before Princeton is its own deal and neutral for purposes of this topic.

Yea, I'm of the same opinion. I was saying that *if* for whatever reason one needed to put Princeton into a Philadelphia or a NYC bucket and had to choose one of them, I don't think it easily defaults to Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City