Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 09:45 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,357,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Atlanta also has Delta, the world's busiest airport, UPS, the CDC, Equifax, North American HQ of Mercedes Benz and Porsche, Globalpayments, etc. It's 3rd for the most Fortune 500 company headquarters (behind NYC and Houston) and a super diverse economy. According to the 2021 Census update, Atlanta surpassed Miami in population and may pass Philly after the 2022 Census update.
Does that make Atlanta the 3rd most important city in the country?

Large companies are important to a region, and many metros have diverse economies, but the obsession with City X having 10 and City Y having 15 is proving what exactly?...

Last edited by cpomp; 12-21-2022 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 09:47 AM

1,376 posts, read 932,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And... does that make Atlanta the 3rd most important city in the country?

Large companies are important to a region, but the obsession with City X having 10 and City Y having 15 is proving what exactly?...
It's a comparison to Philadelphia (not who the 3rd most important city in the country is). It shows Atlanta has one of the most diverse economies of any city in America.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:49 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,357,240 times
Quote:
It's a comparison to Philadelphia (not who the 3rd most important city in the country is). It shows Atlanta has one of the most diverse economies of any city in America.
Is this a statistic or your own assessment?

One could also make an argument that Philadelphia or Chicago or Boston have the most diverse economies.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:51 AM

1,376 posts, read 932,600 times
Quote:
Is this a factual statistic or your own assessment?

One could easily make an argument that Philadelphia or Chicago or Boston have a more diverse economies too.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...86b_story.html Here's one article about why Atlanta has one of the most diverse economies, Washington Post: Atlanta has more going for it than any other US metropolis.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:59 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...86b_story.html Here's one article about why Atlanta has one of the most diverse economies, Washington Post: Atlanta has more going for it than any other US metropolis.
That's obviously a subjective title hard to take seriously given the crime in Atlanta nand its landlocked location. And if its one of the most diverse economies could Philly Boston and Chicago also be "one of the most diverse economies

This is just endless one-upmanship.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:35 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Quote:
This piece was original to Bloomberg Opinion.

Yet again, I fail to see why Philadelphians are always singled out on this forum for "boosting."

Last edited by Duderino; 12-21-2022 at 10:48 AM..

Old 12-21-2022, 10:54 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I actually was gonna call on you for one of these earlier up thread. Thinking it might be time for a revisit. Specifically another one of those break downs by air markets on long distance international flight data.
I forgot to include LOT Polish, their flight LO1 flies into O'Hare

Flight 1 is the most prestigious flight number assigned by airlines. It’s used to denote a historic route, or one that an airline regards as their flagship service.

Here are the North American Airports that currently are the origin or destination airport of a Flight 1.

Airline-----Flight Number-Route

Aeromexico-------AM1----Mexico City(MEX) to Madrid(MAD)
Air Canada--------AC1----Toronto(YYZ) to Tokyo(HND)
Air Tahiti Nui------TN1----Los Angeles(LAX) to Papeete(PPT)
AirAsiaX-----------D71----Kuala Lumpur(KUL) to Honolulu(HNL)
Alaska Airlines ----AS1---Washington(DCA) to Seattle(SEA)
American Airlines-AA1----New York(JFK) to Los Angeles(LAX)
ANA----------------NH1---Washington(IAD) to Tokyo(NRT)
British Airways----BA1----London(LHR) to New York(JFK)
China Airlines------CI1---Honolulu(HNL) to Taipei(TPE)
Delta Air Lines-----DL1---London(LHR) to New York(JFK)
El Al----------------LY1----Tel Aviv(TLV) to New York(JFK)
Hawaiian Airlines--HA1---Los Angeles(LAX) to Honolulu(HNL)
Japan Airlines------JL1----San Francisco(SFO) to Tokyo(HAN)
JetBlue Airways----B61---New York(JFK) to Ft Lauderdale(FLL)
Jetstar Airways----JQ1----Melbourne(MEL) to Honolulu(HNL)
Korean Air---------KE1---Seoul(ICN) to Honolulu(HNL)
LOT Polish Airlines-LO1---Warsaw(WAW) to Chicago(ORD)
Singapore Airlines-SQ1---San Francisco(SFO) to Singapore(SIN)
Southwest Airlines-WN1--Dallas(DAL) to Corpus Christi(CRP)
Turkish Airlines-----TK1---Istanbul(IST) to New York(JFK)
United Airlines------UA1---San Francisco(SFO) to Singapore(SIN)
Virgin Atlantic-------VS1--London(LHR) to New York(JFK)
Virgin Australia-----VA1---Sydney(SYD) to Los Angeles(LAX)
WestJet-------------WS1---Calgary(YYC) to London(LGW)

Old 12-21-2022, 11:31 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,625,774 times
Quote:
I'm a bit lost with this paragraph...

1. I'm not sure what your criteria is for a large university, but Drexel is not "small" by any means, total enrollment is ~13,000.

2. Comcast is a global media conglomerate, Coca Cola is a global brand. Not sure your point, but it's convenient to downplay one and up-play the other.

3. Home Depot?... A back and forth contest about which region has the largest companies is a black hole. I could mention Vanguard, Amerisourcebergen, etc.

The reality is that both metros have massive powerful economies, and Philadelphia is a bit larger. Maybe they will swap places but they will remain GDP peers for the foreseeable future. And swapping places is not an automatic "Atlanta is now more important"...

Lastly, not directed at you, but we're all boosters, so I suggest we stop throwing that term around.
I didn't write that post, so I'm not sure how that post have my name in it. Also, looking at the 2021 GDP, Philadelphia was at $477, Atlanta was at $473. Looking at the growth patterns for 2022, I'm very optimistic that Atlanta's GDP is larger but honestly, it really don't matter because we saw it coming. I never called anyone a booster but if you go back and look, a Pro-Philly poster initially mentioned how Philadelphia was in a different tier from Atlanta and Dallas because he didn't like the global rankings. That's where the convo began at.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:35 PM

6,818 posts, read 4,263,999 times
These lists, man, I can't believe how excited people get about them. It's the corporate equivalent of clickbait Buzzfeed nonsense. I've spent 90%+ of my life in top 15 global cities and honestly it doesn't really matter, if anything it's a negative because it attracts the kind of person who cares about ratings like that.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:51 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,071,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Let’s pretend you have a 2 tech companies one in Atlanta, one in Toronto

You get VC funding from San Francisco

Your company grows, you work with Microsoft in Seattle to get it into Windows

You IPO in New York at launch.

Now your investors want profitability so you hire Bain Capital in Boston to restructure.

In Atlanta 0 of that is international business. In Toronto all of it is.

Toronto is a legit international power but Montreal largely is on that list because of Canada’s reliance on US for investment in general
This doesn't make any sense because if there is any city in Canada that's built its economic model on investment from the US it's Toronto.

Toronto is the choice Canadian beachhead for American companies wanting to establish themselves in Canada.

Montreal due to the "French thing" (sic) gets fewer American investments and alternatively tends to have a higher share of European investment in its activity.

Montreal's economy is also somewhat more homegrown than Toronto's (a phenom often referred to as "Québec Inc.").

I'd also agree with Fusion2 that US CSAs are super-sized compared to the comparable measure in Canada, the CMA: Census Metropolitan Area.

I don't think in apples-to-apples terms that Toronto's real metro area is bigger than Chicago's (yet), but it's a lot closer to it than a lot of people here are recognizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City