Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2022, 07:02 AM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times

Advertisements

Why is Dallas, America’s 6th largest economy being totally left out of guys discussion? It’s economy is more than 20% larger than Philly’s and significantly ahead (like 12%) of Boston and only 1.3% back of DC.

I know people love cities with quaint little cafes tucked into narrow streets but that’s not what makes a city important. Money does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 07:11 AM

3,549 posts, read 2,341,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Why is Dallas, America’s 6th largest economy being totally left out of guys discussion? It’s economy is more than 20% larger than Philly’s and significantly ahead (like 12%) of Boston and only 1.3% back of DC.

I know people love cities with quaint little cafes tucked into narrow streets but that’s not what makes a city important. Money does.
Because GDP doesn’t tell us about soft power vs. hard power

Old 12-20-2022, 07:18 AM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Are you serious? Comcast?...In the case of Atlanta, are we just going to ignore its role in the media in the US? It's home to Ted Turner, CNN and The Weather Channel. Also, Atlanta ranks near the top in movie productions with with around 20 movie production centers.

Next, I'm not about to type all of the HQs (domestic and international) that's located there. You also named companies such as Lockhead and Dow in Philly, which have locations in Metro Atlanta.

Furthermore, when you consider that it's one the nation's most important logistical hubs and houses the world's busiest Airport, Atlanta definitely holds its on in the top 8.

I'm not sure why so many Pro-Philly posters keeps defending the city. No one is arguing that Philly isn't important or a great city. Instead, some are saying that Philly is on the verge of falling out of the top 10 when you consider the things that makes a city prominent. Philly was arguably a top 5 city in 2000, but it's trended downward since then. This is where you have the sunbelt cities rising and Philly slowly sliding down below them.

If Houston, Atlanta and Dallas (and Miami perhaps) continues to outpace Philly in GDP growth, occupational growth, and a few other metrics that matter when grouping cities, then it's going to fall out of top 10. It's something that most of us can see without any biases.

Moreover, for the poster who stated that being 4th in the northeast isn't bad, you're absolutely right. However, the other three cities are trending upward or holding steady while Philly isn't. Also, with Philly lagging behind the nation in economic and occupational recovery, how can you say that the city would thrive if it was in another location? I hear arguments that Philly's in a much better location than Atlanta, Dallas, and Chicago constantly. It's more than the location and it starts with the economic and occupational climate in the city.
I agree with this post... Philly is not being short changed at all.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:24 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,898,292 times
Quote:

You should ask that of Kearney. Melbourne is ranked 8th on the list ahead of many cities with a higher GDP than its 370 Billion. So there are obviously more they are looking at than quaint cafe's and money in terms of global importance.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:25 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,527,842 times
Quote:
Money does.

Well, a Philadelphia company is technically the largest shareholder of 2/3rds of the Fortune 500. We have everyone's money
One Investor Is The Largest Owner Of Two-Thirds Of U.S. Companies

But I still think not knowing the underlying numbers this ranking isn't as fun to discuss. For instance, I would be curious why their future outlook ranking has Dallas and Houston lower than Philadelphia.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Because GDP doesn’t tell us about soft power vs. hard power
While you can argue Government, Education and entertainment exceed their $ value.

But Philly folks are bragging about like insurance offices opening? And love their balanced economy compared to “niche” SF/Boston

I feel like Philly’s economy isn’t that different than Dallas’s.. pretty average GDP per Capita and basically just dependent on sheer scale,

At some point sheer scale does win. Like Chicago does not have a super interesting economy, it’s just enormous..

Old 12-20-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You should ask that of Kearney. Melbourne is ranked 8th on the list ahead of many cities with a higher GDP than its 370 Billion. So there are obviously more they are looking at than quaint cafe's and money in terms of global importance.
Well yeah they measure how much international connection a city has. Since there is like 1 other city in Australia (and Australia is also just over 20% foreign born ) every business is international because there just isn’t a domestic market. That’s why Vienna ranks above Milan as well. Because nobody in Vienna does business in Austria. (If your serving the nearest 50 million people, 80% of those are foreign)

But most US cities have the same dynamics playing out since they all first serve and enormous domestic market on the account of the US being massive,

Old 12-20-2022, 07:45 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,357,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Are you serious? Comcast?...In the case of Atlanta, are we just going to ignore its role in the media in the US? It's home to Ted Turner, CNN and The Weather Channel. Also, Atlanta ranks near the top in movie productions with with around 20 movie production centers.
Curious, what does the bold mean?

Comcast is the worlds largest media conglomerate, certainly important to Philly and holds more weight than CNN (though not dismissing CNN's importance).

*I'm not starting a p*ssing contest, just unsure how to interpret the bold.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:01 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,527,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Comcast is the worlds largest media conglomerate, certainly important to Philly and holds more weight than CNN (though not dismissing CNN's importance).

yeah I didn't quiet understand that, Comcast is a Fortune 30 company. WarnerBros Discovery is #321 and the parent of those stations.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:08 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,625,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Yeah, let's not nitpick the post, I'm simply showing how Atlanta outclasses Philadelphia in the media category regardless of Comcast's presence there. Comcast alone doesn't give Philly any kind of edge in that department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City