Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2022, 11:56 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I believe that Miami will be similar to the Se as to how NYC is to the NE, Chicago is to the Midwest, and the Bay Area and LA is to the West Coast. You'll see your common parts outside of South Beach and Downtown Miami where working class residents will live in. I also believe that Miami's future is bright now just because it's in FL, or because of Latin Americans, but it's setting itself for success by building up it's infrastructure.

The Brightline and TriRail are expanding in South FL and Miami dade Transit has plans to expand the Metrorail to Hard Rock Station. Atlanta will continue to grow but the question is what does Atlanta have in comparison to Brightline and TriRail in GA? I believe that growth in South FL, as well as a lot of smart growth, is going to set Miami apart for not just Atlanta, but much of the South.
I guess that remains to be seen. I'm curious as to how Miami will address increasing flooding issues. Brickell's streets flood pretty much every time there is a summer storm, and it's only getting worse. One tropical storm or hurricane and much of that coast can say goodbye thanks to erosion.

Biscayne Bay is one storm surge away from creating all sorts of havoc down there.

Proper sea walls such as this need to be built:
https://www.google.com/maps/@6.82550...!7i3840!8i1920
https://www.google.com/maps/@6.82541...!7i3840!8i1920

Unfortunately, they are ugly and restrict access to the waterfront, so they won't.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 01:22 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I wouldn't put DC in a separate space from SF and LA. If anything Id be like DC-CHI-SF. Possibly DC-SF-BOS.

But If you group Boston with Houston that make sense too.

Id put Philyl down with ATL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

2a. LA, Chicago
2b. DC, San Francisco

I think that Houston and Boston at this point could be chalked up to a tie at #6. With the understanding that they are not far removed from that prior grouping. With DFW immediately after those 2. Again, I'm clearly talking in generalities of importance, and not simply looking at macro GDP rankings.

Seattle also is continuing it's climb/creeping up to that Philly/Atlanta grouping.
I think Philadelphia is being short- changed and SF over-paid. I am looking at it from importance. I think DC is more important. SF is a good #4.

Philadelphia is a silent beast, don't under-estimate it.
Philly is huge in Health Sciences, Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals. It has also carved out a niche in Telecommunications. Financial Services, Manufacturing and Life Sciences.

Look at the major players in Philly:
AstraZeneca,
Bristol Myers Squibb,
GSK,
Johnson & Johnson,
Merck,

If you are putting Boston up there with SF then Philly should not be far off. That is why after SF I grouped Boston, Houston and Philly in alphabetical order because my mind changes sometimes.

I am not sure why you would rank Philly with Atlanta and below DFW. With over 1200 life science companies in Philly they definitely have a niche there. Life Sciences in Philly is what Energy is to Houston.

In terms of Financial Services Philly area has
Colonial Penn,
Delaware Funds by Macquarie,
FS Investments,
Lincoln Financial,
Radian,
SEI,
Vanguard....

And fintech startups such as
Benefix,
cred.ai,
Life.io,
Nth Round,
Odessa Inc.,
Picwell,
Synario.....

I'm Manufacturing some huge names have operations in Philly:
like Boeing,
Dow Chemical,
DuPont,
Lockheed Martin,
Merck,
Pfizer

I definitely think Philly is a major player in key sectors to place it above both Atlanta and DFW. And I have not even mentioned Comcast.

I stand by my prior ranking of

NY
Chicago- DC- LA
SF
Boston- Houston- Philly
All are huge in important sectors.

Seattle is a major player in important sectors too so I would place it in that group with Atlanta and DFW. Detroit is my wild card.

Old 12-19-2022, 02:41 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I definitely think Philly is a major player in key sectors to place it above both Atlanta and DFW. And I have not even mentioned Comcast.

Philly also has always been major a major insurance capital. Zurich-based Chubb just announced a large new office building in Center City west yesterday. I wish they published the underlying scores for the different categories because without it, it's kind of just a black box. If you told someone in Philadelphia that they were the 50th world city, they would be like "hmm.. that seems pretty good" lol

Old 12-19-2022, 03:14 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Philly also has always been major a major insurance capital. Zurich-based Chubb just announced a large new office building in Center City west yesterday. I wish they published the underlying scores for the different categories because without it, it's kind of just a black box. If you told someone in Philadelphia that they were the 50th world city, they would be like "hmm.. that seems pretty good" lol
Another interesting piece of info related to Life Sciences... There are a lot of very important cities in the US and Philadelphia still proves to be one of them.

JLL arranges major capitalization for Gattuso Development's new Philadelphia life sciences project

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301706516.html

This will mark SmartLab's seventh location and first commitment to a market outside of San Francisco or Boston, demonstrating the strength of the Philadelphia life sciences market, which was ranked fifth in the nation in JLL's 2022 Life Sciences Lab Real Estate Outlook.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:22 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
I think Philadelphia is being short- changed and SF over-paid. I am looking at it from importance. I think DC is more important. SF is a good #4.

Philly is huge in Health Sciences, Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals. It has also carved out a niche in Telecommunications. Financial Services, Manufacturing and Life Sciences.

AstraZeneca,
Bristol Myers Squibb,
GSK,
Johnson & Johnson,
Merck,

If you are putting Boston up there with SF then Philly should not be far off. That is why after SF I grouped Boston, Houston and Philly in alphabetical order because my mind changes sometimes.

I am not sure why you would rank Philly with Atlanta and below DFW. With over 1200 life science companies in Philly they definitely have a niche there. Life Sciences in Philly is what Energy is to Houston.

Colonial Penn,
FS Investments,
Lincoln Financial,
Radian,
SEI,
Vanguard....

Benefix,
cred.ai,
Life.io,
Nth Round,
Odessa Inc.,
Picwell,
Synario.....

like Boeing,
Dow Chemical,
DuPont,
Lockheed Martin,
Merck,
Pfizer

NY
Chicago- DC- LA
SF
Boston- Houston- Philly

Seattle is a major player in important sectors too so I would place it in that group with Atlanta and DFW. Detroit is my wild card.
Philly isn’t not he list and probably never has been. Boston is securely in it,and has been for years. And is a global leader in at least one category if not 2 (per the ranking) or even 3 and outdoes Philly on overall GDP, per capita GDP and its a more cosmopolitan place. I don’t see where they’re on equal footing. Houston yea I see that. Philly not really cutting it- for me.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:36 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Regarding this, I look at things as a quartet of LA, Chicago, DC, and SF at this point, but with lettering caveats.

2a. LA, Chicago
2b. DC, San Francisco
I don't think there's a 2a and 2b. They are all tied at #2. It depends on the specific criteria but these 1 of these 4 cities tend to be 2nd in New York in many if not most criteria or even exceed NYC in other criteria outlined by the OP:
The GCI is a metric that seeks to quantify the extent to which a city can attract, retain, and generate global flows of capital, people, and ideas. These global cities are microcosms of the world, each with its own unique flavor. They serve as centers of social, political, and economic vibrancy that reflect the dynamic global environment.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:41 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I don't think there's a 2a and 2b. They are all tied at #2. It depends on the specific criteria but these 1 of these 4 cities tend to be 2nd in New York in many if not most criteria or even exceed NYC in other criteria outlined by the OP:
The GCI is a metric that seeks to quantify the extent to which a city can attract, retain, and generate global flows of capital, people, and ideas. These global cities are microcosms of the world, each with its own unique flavor. They serve as centers of social, political, and economic vibrancy that reflect the dynamic global environment.
True, and this relates to what my point to BostonBorn was about LA. Depending on the criteria, LA can range anywhere from 2-5th, if we're comparing the top 5 at different metrics. It's not like LA is a dominant 2nd at every single thing across the board like New York is at #1.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:45 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:

AstraZeneca,
Bristol Myers Squibb,
GSK,
Johnson & Johnson,
Merck,

Colonial Penn,
FS Investments,
Lincoln Financial,
Radian,
SEI,
Vanguard....

Benefix,
cred.ai,
Life.io,
Nth Round,
Odessa Inc.,
Picwell,
Synario.....

like Boeing,
Dow Chemical,
DuPont,
Lockheed Martin,
Merck,
Pfizer

NY
Chicago- DC- LA
SF
Boston- Houston- Philly

Philly hasn't gone anywhere or fell back IMO. There's a lot to be said about how it's prominence is still great across multiple sectors. It's only that the Houston/ATL/Dallas and now Seattle group have jumped up to that relative tier in the last 20 years. I agree there are certain aspects about Philly that should get greater recognition, but I think it still receives good praise for being probably a top 4 urban city aesthetically. The points you've laid out bode well for Philly, and I definitely believe it has a positive long term outlook based on location and great overall bones. Philadelphia still is the nation's 4th largest tv market fwiw, and the life sciences presence there is strong I know.

At the metro level though, (and even the Boston posters may see it this way) Philadelphia would have to be at the #4 slot of the Northeast corridor, even if it's still close to the others. But in this part of the country by no means is that a slight to what Philly is, because the cities in front of it by most would be placed in the top 6 nationally. I've always said put Philadelphia in the middle of the country somewhere by itself, and the metro would probably have 2+ million more people, and be even that much more prominent. It just so happens to sit smack dab in the middle of the most dynamic and prominent megalopolis in this hemisphere.

Last edited by the resident09; 12-19-2022 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-19-2022, 03:58 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Philly isn’t not he list and probably never has been. Boston is securely in it,and has been for years.
You seem to have missed the extended ranking where Philly is 50th.

Outlook also ranks it higher, ahead of others in the general "today" ranking, like Houston and Dallas.

Relative to Boston, the difference in cosmopolitanism isn't as dramatic as the difference between Boston and DC and the SF Bay Area.

GDP is also incredibly inflated, especially over the past two years. There's way too much emphasis placed on values that often don't have much basis in reality.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-19-2022 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-19-2022, 04:33 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You seem to have missed the extended ranking where Philly is 50th.

Outlook also ranks it higher, ahead of others in the general "today" ranking, like Houston and Dallas.

Relative to Boston, the difference in cosmopolitanism isn't as dramatic as the difference between Boston and DC and the SF Bay Area.

GDP is also incredibly inflated, especially over the past two years. There's way too much emphasis placed on values that often don't have much basis in reality.
If Philly is 50th then that basically make my point to for me. I’d also say Boston is significantly more cosmopolitan just based off the demographics thread.

Here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/64584122-post184.html

More foreign born per capita in Boston than Philly and growth from more regions.

Philly MSA is 11% foreign born- below the national average.

Boston MSA is 19.5% foreign born.

DC MSA is 23% foreign- born.

The gap between Boston and Philly is pretty massive . 20th and 50th vs 12th and 20th. 11 vs. 19.5 and 19.5 vs 23?

I don’t see in what way is Philly close to as composition as Boston? Or closer to Boston than Boston is to DC? To me it’s not really in the same neighborhood. I don’t get why numbers and data mean something until they don’t. Then it becomes conjecture pretty quickly.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-19-2022 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City