Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 04:51 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
What makes an economy "super interesting"? There are in fact a lot of interesting things happening in Philadelphia's biotech industry.

Yeah, and Boston has General Electric, Liberty Mutual Insurance Group, Wayfair, State Street, and Vertex Pharmaceuticals. If you think about it, different cities have different corporations headquartered within their metro areas. I am surprised you did not mention Vanguard. They are a critical company headquartered in our metro area. What makes something remarkable is highly subjective, but if one is actually familiar with Philadelphia and all of its quirks as a city, it is actually a highly memorable city. One does not need an outstandingly high GDP per capita to be remarkable.
You don’t need at astounding GDP per capita to be remarkable but you got to be enormous like LA to make up the difference.
Philly like Chicago has an economy that kind of just makes sense for its size.

It’s not SF with more VC than New York of Boston with more NIH funding than Texas

Like if you took a random selection of 6.1 million people from across the country it would look like Philly (in terms of the economy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 05:10 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I guess this is as a good a thread as any to post something about pretentious global city ranking stuff.

Just as I going to compile a list, lo and behold the internet already had one

Flight 1 is the most prestigious flight number assigned by airlines. It’s used to denote a historic route, or one that an airline regards as their flagship service.*

Here are the North American Airports that currently are the origin or destination airport of a Flight 1.

Airline-----Flight Number-Route
Aeromexico-------AM1----Mexico City(MEX) to Madrid(MAD)
Air Canada--------AC1----Toronto(YYZ) to Tokyo(HND)
Air Tahiti Nui------TN1----Los Angeles(LAX) to Papeete(PPT)
AirAsiaX-----------D71----Kuala Lumpur(KUL) to Honolulu(HNL)
Alaska Airlines ----AS1---Washington(DCA) to Seattle(SEA)
American Airlines-AA1----New York(JFK) to Los Angeles(LAX)
ANA----------------NH1---Washington(IAD) to Tokyo(NRT)
British Airways----BA1----London(LHR) to New York(JFK)
China Airlines------CI1---Honolulu(HNL) to Taipei(TPE)
Delta Air Lines-----DL1---London(LHR) to New York(JFK)
El Al----------------LY1----Tel Aviv(TLV) to New York(JFK)
Hawaiian Airlines--HA1---Los Angeles(LAX) to Honolulu(HNL)
Japan Airlines------JL1----San Francisco(SFO) to Tokyo(HAN)
JetBlue Airways----B61---New York(JFK) to Ft Lauderdale(FLL)
Jetstar Airways----JQ1----Melbourne(MEL) to Honolulu(HNL)
Korean Air---------KE1---Seoul(ICN) to Honolulu(HNL)
Singapore Airlines-SQ1---San Francisco(SFO) to Singapore(SIN)
Southwest Airlines-WN1--Dallas(DAL) to Corpus Christi(CRP)
Turkish Airlines-----TK1---Istanbul(IST) to New York(JFK)
United Airlines------UA1---San Francisco(SFO) to Singapore(SIN)
Virgin Atlantic-------VS1--London(LHR) to New York(JFK)
Virgin Australia-----VA1---Sydney(SYD) to Los Angeles(LAX)
WestJet-------------WS1---Calgary(YYC) to London(LGW)

https://www.nomadicnotes.com/flight-1/
So we have 2 instances where a North American airport is a layover along a Flight 1 route

1. Air New Zealand's NZ1 from Auckland to London has a layover in Los Angeles.

2. Southwest's WN1 from Dallas to Corpus Christi actually has a layover at Hobby Airport which I found odd, but as I commented in another forum, I think the original WN1 was from Love Field to Hobby Airport, which makes much more sense as Southwest's "flagship" route, perhaps Hobby to Corpus Christi was added later?

Old 12-21-2022, 05:57 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

It’s not SF with more VC than New York of Boston with more NIH funding than Texas

Like if you took a random selection of 6.1 million people from across the country it would look like Philly (in terms of the economy)
I think Philly's definitely an example of an economy where perceptions haven't yet caught up to the 2022 reality.

It is much more vested in tech/biotech than most outsiders understand. Over the past couple years, it measured its VC, for example, at levels at least 5 times higher than what it received in past years. 2021 was more of a banner year everywhere for VC, but Philly still ranks right between Seattle and Austin for 6th in terms of metro areas so far in 2022:

https://www.scopvc.com/thoughts/2022...enture-capital

Not SF, Boston, NYC, and LA levels of course, but still far ahead of metros like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Miami. Basically, the seeds of a more niche economy have been being sown for quite a while, and it's finally being noticed by the financial powers that be. This is one of the kind of trends I'm talking about in that we really don't know what the future holds.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:42 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I guess this is as a good a thread as any to post something about pretentious global city ranking stuff.

Just as I going to compile a list, lo and behold the internet already had one

Flight 1 is the most prestigious flight number assigned by airlines. It’s used to denote a historic route, or one that an airline regards as their flagship service.*

Here are the North American Airports that currently are the origin or destination airport of a Flight 1.

Airline-----Flight Number-Route
Aeromexico-------AM1----Mexico City(MEX) to Madrid(MAD)
Air Canada--------AC1----Toronto(YYZ) to Tokyo(HND)
Air Tahiti Nui------TN1----Los Angeles(LAX) to Papeete(PPT)
AirAsiaX-----------D71----Kuala Lumpur(KUL) to Honolulu(HNL)
Alaska Airlines ----AS1---Washington(DCA) to Seattle(SEA)
American Airlines-AA1----New York(JFK) to Los Angeles(LAX)
ANA----------------NH1---Washington(IAD) to Tokyo(NRT)
British Airways----BA1----London(LHR) to New York(JFK)
China Airlines------CI1---Honolulu(HNL) to Taipei(TPE)
Delta Air Lines-----DL1---London(LHR) to New York(JFK)
El Al----------------LY1----Tel Aviv(TLV) to New York(JFK)
Hawaiian Airlines--HA1---Los Angeles(LAX) to Honolulu(HNL)
Japan Airlines------JL1----San Francisco(SFO) to Tokyo(HAN)
JetBlue Airways----B61---New York(JFK) to Ft Lauderdale(FLL)
Jetstar Airways----JQ1----Melbourne(MEL) to Honolulu(HNL)
Korean Air---------KE1---Seoul(ICN) to Honolulu(HNL)
Singapore Airlines-SQ1---San Francisco(SFO) to Singapore(SIN)
Southwest Airlines-WN1--Dallas(DAL) to Corpus Christi(CRP)
Turkish Airlines-----TK1---Istanbul(IST) to New York(JFK)
United Airlines------UA1---San Francisco(SFO) to Singapore(SIN)
Virgin Atlantic-------VS1--London(LHR) to New York(JFK)
Virgin Australia-----VA1---Sydney(SYD) to Los Angeles(LAX)
WestJet-------------WS1---Calgary(YYC) to London(LGW)

https://www.nomadicnotes.com/flight-1/
I actually was gonna call on you for one of these earlier up thread. Thinking it might be time for a revisit. Specifically another one of those break downs by air markets on long distance international flight data.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:48 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
If you replace Kansas City with Chicago and add D.C. the 2026 FIFA World Cup host cities mirror the top 10-11 US global cities.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:11 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think Philly's definitely an example of an economy where perceptions haven't yet caught up to the 2022 reality.

It is much more vested in tech/biotech than most outsiders understand. Over the past couple years, it measured its VC, for example, at levels at least 5 times higher than what it received in past years. 2021 was more of a banner year everywhere for VC, but Philly still ranks right between Seattle and Austin for 6th in terms of metro areas so far in 2022:

https://www.scopvc.com/thoughts/2022...enture-capital

Not SF, Boston, NYC, and LA levels of course, but still far ahead of metros like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Miami. Basically, the seeds of a more niche economy have been being sown for quite a while, and it's finally being noticed by the financial powers that be. This is one of the kind of trends I'm talking about in that we really don't know what the future holds.
Being the 6th largest MSA and 6th in VC funding is what I mean. It’s pretty typical. Sure it’s above some cities bigger than it (Dallas) but below cities smaller than it (Seattle)

Each city isn’t going to be exactly where it belongs in everything. For example Chicago is #2 in Finance and #1 in the Food Industry but I don’t think anyone would say Chicago is a Food based economy

Old 12-21-2022, 07:24 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Being the 6th largest MSA and 6th in VC funding is what I mean. It’s pretty typical. Sure it’s above some cities bigger than it (Dallas) but below cities smaller than it (Seattle)
Philly is now the 8th largest MSA, though, as of 2022. So I guess it technically now punches above its weight for VC: https://www.thoughtco.com/largest-me...-areas-1435135.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:24 AM

21,652 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
What makes an economy "super interesting"? There are in fact a lot of interesting things happening in Philadelphia's biotech industry.

Yeah, and Boston has General Electric, Liberty Mutual Insurance Group, Wayfair, State Street, and Vertex Pharmaceuticals. If you think about it, different cities have different corporations headquartered within their metro areas. I am surprised you did not mention Vanguard. They are a critical company headquartered in our metro area. What makes something remarkable is highly subjective, but if one is actually familiar with Philadelphia and all of its quirks as a city, it is actually a highly memorable city. One does not need an outstandingly high GDP per capita to be remarkable.
We kind of sleep on New Balance, Converse, and Reebok all being headquartered in Boston or just outside of Boston. Puma’s North American headquarters are also there.

Timberland was founded in Boston and it’s headquarters isstill in the Boston MSA (Southern New Hampshire).

These are huge brands. I think that’s a cool little “interesting” element we don’t talk about much. Remnants of the textile industry remain.

New Balance in particular plays a fairly large role in the community and athletics in the Boston area with a brand new world class track and training facility and a lot of sponsorship and events. New Balance’s owner is also politically active on the ground in Massachusetts- endorsing or not endorsing ballot questions and the like.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-21-2022 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-21-2022, 09:35 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post

First of all, the main universities in Philadelphia are Temple University and the University of Pennsylvania. Drexel is a smaller university and it's unfair to compare it to a much larger institution like Georgia Tech. But other than that, Comcast is domestic, while Coca Cola is global, Conrail used to be a major mover in railroads, now they don't exist no more, and Home Depot is the number one home improvement retailer in America. Plus Atlanta has greatly expanded it's economic footprint in comparison to America.
I'm a bit lost with this paragraph...

1. I'm not sure what your criteria is for a large university, but Drexel is not "small" by any means, total enrollment is ~13,000.

2. Comcast is a global media conglomerate, Coca Cola is a global brand. Not sure your point, but it's convenient to downplay one and up-play the other.

3. Home Depot?... A back and forth contest about which region has the largest companies is a black hole. I could mention Vanguard, Amerisourcebergen, etc.

The reality is that both metros have massive powerful economies, and Philadelphia is a bit larger. Maybe they will swap places but they will remain GDP peers for the foreseeable future. And swapping places is not an automatic "Atlanta is now more important"...

Lastly, not directed at you, but we're all boosters, so I suggest we stop throwing that term around.

Last edited by cpomp; 12-21-2022 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-21-2022, 09:41 AM

1,376 posts, read 931,049 times
Quote:
I fail to see how Philly really distances itself from say Atlanta these days

One has Comcast, the other Coca Cola

One has Drexel, the other Georgia Tech

One has UPenn, the other Emory

One has Conrail, the other Norfolk Southern

Atlanta had Home Depot Philly has urban outfitters/Burlington

Etc.

And their gdps are pretty identical

I know people love Philly cause it’s a classic urban city but it’s not really remarkable in context of the United States. Pretty average GDP per capita, pretty normal corporate presence etc. it’s just big, but there are a lot of big cities these days.
Atlanta also has Delta, the world's busiest airport, UPS, the CDC, Equifax, North American HQ of Mercedes Benz and Porsche, Globalpayments, etc. It's 3rd for the most Fortune 500 company headquarters (behind NYC and Houston) and a super diverse economy. According to the 2021 Census update, Atlanta surpassed Miami in population and may pass Philly after the 2022 Census update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City