Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Cities Could Be Considered Sports Capitals of the US?
Boston 105 59.32%
New York City 77 43.50%
Philadelphia 80 45.20%
Los Angeles 53 29.94%
San Francisco 25 14.12%
Seattle 11 6.21%
Miami 15 8.47%
Denver 16 9.04%
Chicago 71 40.11%
Dallas 40 22.60%
Atlanta 24 13.56%
Las Vegas 11 6.21%
Phoenix 5 2.82%
Houston 14 7.91%
Nashville 8 4.52%
Charlotte 5 2.82%
Indianapolis 14 7.91%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 21 11.86%
Kansas City 10 5.65%
Other City 20 11.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 01:25 PM

255 posts, read 159,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It's a numbers thing but I'd guess that LA has more hockey fans than any city outside a traditional hockey area. They just aren't necessarily fans of the Kings or Ducks.

Also, LA has a ton of sports fans that follow Liga MX, La Liga, and the Premier League. Does that makeup the hockey difference?
Soccer is not strength of mine, but I'll take a stab. I think LA is a great soccer market (or at least I assume). I've been critical of LA in the past, but imo, overall, it's close to middle of the pack. It does well in soccer, basketball and baseball, but lacks in hockey and football to a degree. I guess it's up to the individual how to weigh each sport.

I've heard people in the past mention LA as a terrible market and I've heard others say it's top 5. I think it's more middle of the pack, close or possibly in the top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 01:33 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
Soccer is not strength of mine, but I'll take a stab. I think LA is a great soccer market (or at leadlst I assume). I've been critical of LA in the past, but imo, overall, it's close to middle of the pack. It does well in soccer, basketball and baseball, but lacks in hockey and football to a degree. I guess it's up to the individual how to weigh each sport.

I've heard people in the past mention LA as a terrible market and I've heard others say it's top 5. I think it's more middle of the pack, close or possibly in the top 10.
Thanks for the response. Maybe because I live here but I've never heard of LA being a terrible market. I would think that we have too many people for that to be true.

Old 11-25-2023, 01:41 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
I'm tempted to give LA a pass in terms of attendance.
I mean there is so much else to do that funds spent on games is stretched thin.

In places where there is not much else going on, catching a game is one of the biggest draws.

It's the very reason why college sports do so well in small towns. There's nothing bigger.

If I'm visiting somewhere I would definitely add a game to my itinerary, but I'm only catching a game in LA if it is free.

Old 11-25-2023, 01:47 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Boston, Philly & Chicago would be top 3. New York is more diluted and not as heavily into sports as those three, but would still make a top 10. The rest would probably be rounded out by Midwestern cities like Minneapolis, Milwaukee & Cincinnati who are die-hard for the teams they do have. I could see an argument made for Dallas to represent the South where they’re die hard for football and they sell well for the Rangers & Mavs too.

Old 11-25-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I'm tempted to give LA a pass in terms of attendance.
I mean there is so much else to do that funds spent on games is stretched thin.

In places where there is not much else going on, catching a game is one of the biggest draws.

It's the very reason why college sports do so well in small towns. There's nothing bigger.

If I'm visiting somewhere I would definitely add a game to my itinerary, but I'm only catching a game in LA if it is free.
Speaking of college, I doubt any metro comes close to LA's football attendance when college is included. USC and UCLA are well supported. Not Ohio State, Michigan, or Alabama support but not Rutgers, Northwestern, or Stanford either. Two big time college teams and two pro teams means that there are lots of options.

Old 11-25-2023, 02:23 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Speaking of college, I doubt any metro comes close to LA's football attendance when college is included. USC and UCLA are well supported. Not Ohio State, Michigan, or Alabama support but not Rutgers, Northwestern, or Stanford either. Two big time college teams and two pro teams means that there are lots of options.
LAs college scene is a great point.

What the heck happened to the PAC 12 conference anyway?

Old 11-25-2023, 02:42 PM

441 posts, read 227,367 times
West coast doesn't care about college sports. College football is dominated by 2 regions now (really 2 super conferences), the midwest (big 10) and the south (sec)

Old 11-25-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
West coast doesn't care about college sports. College football is dominated by 2 regions now (really 2 super conferences), the midwest (big 10) and the south (sec)
With teams in California, Oregon, and Washington the Big is no longer a regional conference.

Old 11-25-2023, 06:08 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Seattle cares about the Husky football team. (The number of heart issues across the city right now, as they won a thriller against a rival they should've beaten easily...)

For past generations, the Huskies were the biggest game in town. They're still embedded in our psyche.

Old 11-25-2023, 07:00 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle cares about the Husky football team. (The number of heart issues across the city right now, as they won a thriller against a rival they should've beaten easily...)

For past generations, the Huskies were the biggest game in town. They're still embedded in our psyche.
Yeah. Earlier someone said that western cities aren’t as passionate as eastern cities. I think the real geographical skewing is to the north. Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Boston and Philly are crazy about sports. Miami, Atlanta and Phoenix are relatively dull at supporting sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City