Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Cities Could Be Considered Sports Capitals of the US?
Boston 105 59.32%
New York City 77 43.50%
Philadelphia 80 45.20%
Los Angeles 53 29.94%
San Francisco 25 14.12%
Seattle 11 6.21%
Miami 15 8.47%
Denver 16 9.04%
Chicago 71 40.11%
Dallas 40 22.60%
Atlanta 24 13.56%
Las Vegas 11 6.21%
Phoenix 5 2.82%
Houston 14 7.91%
Nashville 8 4.52%
Charlotte 5 2.82%
Indianapolis 14 7.91%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 21 11.86%
Kansas City 10 5.65%
Other City 20 11.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 02:50 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It’s gonna be New York or Philly I think. But honestly Atlanta has the best location for a NFL stadium of the host cities, at least in America
I don't think Atlanta and Philadelphia are in the running.

Last I heard it was between LA, Dallas and NY. I do agree with the assumption that the final would be ina location with lots of PT but I guess they are not considering that. I think the major factor is capacity, which gives Dallas the edge based on size alone

I don't think Atlanta's stadium is more conveniently located than New Orleans, Houston or a handful of others.

Edit: it looks like it's down to two suburban stadiums: https://frontofficesports.com/fifa-d...rld-cup-final/

Last edited by atadytic19; 11-22-2023 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2023, 04:18 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Last I heard it was between LA, Dallas and NY. I do agree with the assumption that the final would be ina location with lots of PT but I guess they are not considering that. I think the major factor is capacity, which gives Dallas the edge based on size alone

I don't think Atlanta's stadium is more conveniently located than New Orleans, Houston or a handful of others.

Edit: it looks like it's down to two suburban stadiums: https://frontofficesports.com/fifa-d...rld-cup-final/
Metlife has the largest capacity, and New York would make the most sense. The premiere city of North America, and close proximity to Philadelphia and Boston (also host cities).

*Not saying New York automatically deserves the spot, just saying it makes good sense.

Old 11-22-2023, 04:46 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:

NOLA not Houston are host cities

Old 11-22-2023, 05:27 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
Interesting no mention of Miami as a potential host for the final considering FIFA officials opened a 60,000 square foot office in Coral Gables for the 2026 games (FIFA President Gianni Infantino will be relocating here in the lead up to the games as well) and Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium was just selected as the site for the final of the upcoming 2024 Copa America. Then there’s this guy named Messi on the local MLS team owned by Beckham which might have some influence along with the fact it has hosted another prominent event with international following, Formula 1, and more Super Bowls than any other city.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...2026-world-cup

https://www.wusf.org/sports/2023-11-...marquee-events

Last edited by elchevere; 11-22-2023 at 06:24 PM..

Old 11-22-2023, 06:33 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
New York may seem to make the most sense but from what I have seen Arlington TX is the favorite.
MetLife is just as suburban as most NFL stadiums: https://maps.app.goo.gl/3k7Pnjb14qa3rsVC6
But again I don't think proximity to premiere cities is much of a factor. ATT is expandable to 100K plus.
Looking at expansion capacity and Fifa 80k requirements only 4 host stadiums meet the requirements. In order of Capacity those would be ATT, SoFi, MetLife and NRG

Maybe FIF

No one is mentioning Miami because the talk is amongst 2 venues
Quote:
There have been multiple instances of ESPN reports in the past year citing AT&T Stadium as FIFA's choice to host the coveted match, but recent comments from a high-ranking official suggest the decision has been narrowed down to two: AT&T Stadium in Arlington and MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfa...a-ae964767d254

Other cities are not being mentioned because they are not options. Hard Rock seems to have the lowest capacity among host stadiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
NOLA not Houston are host cities
Celebrating Thanksgiving already?
Not sure how to rearrange that, but I saw the caveat for host cities after if that's what you meant. New Orleans isn't hosting, but Houston is.

I would agree that there's more to do around Mercedes Benz stadium if we are just looking at host stadiums. I read the caveat after.

Old 11-22-2023, 06:43 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post

As you tend to do in most posts you ignore legacy, history etc.
fenway being the oldest ballpark in mlb and Red Sox with third most championships
Celtics being an original nba team with the most championships
Bruins being an original nhl team with fourth most championships
Patriots having fourth most championships

Where are sports best rivalries?
Red Sox - Yankees
Celtics - lakers
Bruins - Canadians
Just because other posters are ignoring the premise of the OP article, does not mean I'm obligated to follow along with them. That's why I'm ignoring legacy and rivalries, because it's irrelevant in this particular thread and we surely have other threads that covered that part of sports culture.

Old 11-22-2023, 06:52 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Was that really "conventional wisdom" though? In order to uproot an NFL franchise and move it to one of the most expensive stadiums in the world in a new city, a lot of people and big entities have to believe quite strongly that there will be support when that team arrives. Clearly they were right. The "no one will go!" notion was a hot take at the time and was proven wrong pretty quickly.

Regardless, I'm not sure what your point is? I'm not arguing that LA isn't a "sports capital" by any definition. It has a large enough population and passionate enough fans to support multiple franchises across multiple sports. It's also capable of drawing crowds for one-offs and special events. It's an Olympic city. It's both a sporting economic engine, and home to passionate sports fans that can fill many stadiums and arenas year round.
My point is that in the new sports economy having loyal fans bases will become less and less relevant.

Old 11-22-2023, 07:45 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Just because other posters are ignoring the premise of the OP article, does not mean I'm obligated to follow along with them. That's why I'm ignoring legacy and rivalries, because it's irrelevant in this particular thread and we surely have other threads that covered that part of sports culture.
Okay but the 1932 Olympics matters? But not like the 1990s?

Old 11-22-2023, 07:53 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,116,789 times
I mean if we're talking strictly about popularity, global impact and finances/revenue and not fanbases or culture, it's clear NYC and LA are the top cities. Nothing is more iconic than the Yankees' logo ball cap, Madison Square Garden, the Lakers, and the Staples Center, internationally the most recognized sports brands. Boston might be 3rd. As much as I love Philly sports and fanbases, I'd be lying to myself if I said it has the same name recognition and brand appeal as either city and so are the people saying Indianapolis or other 2nd tier cities, there's 7 year olds in SEA who can tell you about Kobe and the Lakers—different ballgame compared to the other cities.

NYC
LA

Gap

Boston
Philly

Dallas, Chicago and Bay Area can fight for #5

Last edited by AshbyQuin; 11-22-2023 at 08:06 PM..

Old 11-22-2023, 08:56 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:

I think it will be MetLife as well but the rumor has been MetLife and At&T for a while. LA was in the running but the timing of a final is a problem from my reading. A final at noon pacific would mean it’s 8 PM in London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City