Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Cities Could Be Considered Sports Capitals of the US?
Boston 105 59.32%
New York City 77 43.50%
Philadelphia 80 45.20%
Los Angeles 53 29.94%
San Francisco 25 14.12%
Seattle 11 6.21%
Miami 15 8.47%
Denver 16 9.04%
Chicago 71 40.11%
Dallas 40 22.60%
Atlanta 24 13.56%
Las Vegas 11 6.21%
Phoenix 5 2.82%
Houston 14 7.91%
Nashville 8 4.52%
Charlotte 5 2.82%
Indianapolis 14 7.91%
Minneapolis 6 3.39%
Detroit 21 11.86%
Kansas City 10 5.65%
Other City 20 11.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 05:37 AM

18 posts, read 12,927 times

Advertisements

I get it that most people are going off what they’re familiar with or which cities are popular but a lot of you are clueless to certain cities like Las Vegas and Indianapolis. Las Vegas has pulled in a NFL team and now the A’s are moving in and the city is building a stadium for them as well. Formula 1 just finished racing there and nobody has a strip like Vegas or a Sphere for attractions. Then there’s Indy with the Indy 500. The largest single day sporting event in the world with 300k plus attendees. Then there’s the Brickyard 400, they have an NFL, NBA, WNBA franchise as well as minor league baseball and soccer teams. Indy Eleven the cities minor league team is building a new stadium and sports park called Eleven Park. This will be a game changer for the city. Plus the NCAA is headquartered in Indy and Indy host more mens and women’s final fours in college basketball than any another city. Indy also is hosting the NBA ALL STAR GAME Feb of 2024. The college football championship, world swimming try outs, major golf tournaments and the USA Gymnastics hq use to be headquartered there as well. The circle city classic in Indy rivals the Bayou classic and other HBCU championship games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 05:44 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyguy50 View Post
I get it that most people are going off what they’re familiar with or which cities are popular but a lot of you are clueless to certain cities like Las Vegas and Indianapolis. Las Vegas has pulled in a NFL team and now the A’s are moving in and the city is building a stadium for them as well. Formula 1 just finished racing there and nobody has a strip like Vegas or a Sphere for attractions. Then there’s Indy with the Indy 500. The largest single day sporting event in the world with 300k plus attendees. Then there’s the Brickyard 400, they have an NFL, NBA, WNBA franchise as well as minor league baseball and soccer teams. Indy Eleven the cities minor league team is building a new stadium and sports park called Eleven Park. This will be a game changer for the city. Plus the NCAA is headquartered in Indy and Indy host more mens and women’s final fours in college basketball than any another city. Indy also is hosting the NBA ALL STAR GAME Feb of 2024. The college football championship, world swimming try outs, major golf tournaments and the USA Gymnastics hq use to be headquartered there as well. The circle city classic in Indy rivals the Bayou classic and other HBCU championship games.
I’m sorry but the Indy motor speedway is the largest stadium but Marathons routinely attract like a million spectators.

Both the Head of the Charles and Boston marathon often pull over 300,000 spectators. Perhaps the largest ticketed sports event?

Old 11-21-2023, 06:20 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I would argue some second-tier cities like Cleveland, St Louis, Buffalo or even Milwaukee meet or exceed the criteria of 2/3 the cities listed.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:51 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would argue some second-tier cities like Cleveland, St Louis, Buffalo or even Milwaukee meet or exceed the criteria of 2/3 the cities listed.
I'd agree there.

St. Louis, Buffalo and Pittsburgh are just as passionate as Boston/Philadelphia/Chicago.

I think Cleveland/Milwaukee/Detroit would be on par with NYC/LA/Miami/Dallas in the next tier down.

Old 11-21-2023, 07:02 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I'd agree there.

St. Louis, Buffalo and Pittsburgh are just as passionate as Boston/Philadelphia/Chicago.

I think Cleveland/Milwaukee/Detroit would be on par with NYC/LA/Miami/Dallas in the next tier down.
Pittsburgh is very overrated. They love the Steelers. Pre-Crosby the Penguins have the lowest attendance in hockey, and the Pirates are the worst out side of Florida for attendance.

Detroits kind of the same they live the Lions but everyone else is kind of run if the mill.

Old 11-21-2023, 07:11 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago top tier in no particular order.

Detroit, St Louis, Denver, Miami, LA, SF, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, Pittsburgh a distant next tier?

I have California in the next, not top, tier….they do have the required presence in all leagues, great venues (SoFi, Staples, etc) and host major events but 3 things that always had me scratching my head were (1) the showing up in the 3rd inning and leaving by the 7th; (2) the, “but there’s so many other things to do here” and (3) “so many people are not from here” (as if there’s nothing to do in the NYC metro besides sporting events and only natives live there).

I’ve never heard anyone say CitiField or Yankee Stadium are Dodger and Angel Stadium East but have heard Angels Stadium referred to as Yankee Stadium West. This brings up the question: which team fans travel the most and/or are represented on the road ??

Last edited by elchevere; 11-21-2023 at 07:26 AM..

Old 11-21-2023, 07:25 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago top tier in no particular order.

Detroit, St Louis, Denver, Miami, LA, SF, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, Pittsburgh a distant next tier?

I have California in the next, not top, tier….they do have the required presence in all leagues, great venues (SoFi, Staples, etc) and host major events but 3 things that always had me scratching my head were (1) the showing up in the 3rd inning and leaving by the 7th; (2) the, “but there’s so many other things to do here” and (3) “so many people are not from here” (as if there’s nothing to do in the NYC metro besides sporting events and only natives live there). I’ve never heard anyone say CitiField or Yankee Stadium are Dodger and Angel Stadium East but have heard Angels Stadium referred to as Yankee Stadium West.
Yankee Stadium West? I have never heard that. New Yankee stadium isnt even iconic… nor is it that cool.

Is it just because there are a lot of Yankee fans/tourists wearing Yankee Caps there?

Old 11-21-2023, 07:26 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,861,254 times
Cincinnati deserves some consideration when you factor in major NCAA athletics.

Bengals (2021 Super Bowl appearance)
Reds (oldest professional franchise; largest Opening Day celebration in baseball)
FC Cincinnati (2023 MLS regular season champions; brand new stadium)
University of Cincinnati football (First ever G5 team to make the CFP in 2021; just joined Big 12)
University of Cincinnati basketball (top 10-15 all-time program; just joined Big 12)
Xavier University basketball (Big East member; made NCAA tournament 13 of last 18 years)

Old 11-21-2023, 07:30 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yankee Stadium West? I have never heard that. New Yankee stadium isnt even iconic… nor is it that cool.

Is it just because there are a lot of Yankee fans/tourists wearing Yankee Caps there?
I did and heard / experienced that when I lived in OC—they made themselves heard and known.

I do agree the new Yankee Stadium sucks….I refer to it as a sterile mall. Glad I had a chance to attend games at the original, pre-1974/1975 refurbished Stadium (though it also went through a number of changes prior to then). That was an iconic, if not structurally deficient, stadium with tons of history. OTOH, I like the changes made to MSG.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-21-2023 at 07:40 AM..

Old 11-21-2023, 07:40 AM

809 posts, read 467,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I think some are shortchanging the NYC metro….besides the big 4 and MLS it hosts the top tennis event (US Open), 1 of the 3 Triple Crown horse racing venues (Belmont), and is home to the league offices of MLB, NFL, NHL (shared with Canada) and NBA.
Spot on - I was going to write NYC Metro is top 3 based on NFL/NBA HQs (other ones as well such as USTA (Tennis), NHL and WWE in Stamford if that counts) along passionate fans and a tough sports media environment (just ask KD).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City