Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 02:30 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysizz View Post
North Philly is more urban than South Philly?
For sure.

South Philly is less dilapidated for sure, but north Philly is zoned more liberally so you see a lot of mid-rises built throughout its vernacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 03:17 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'll take a stab at it with these for starters:

Boston- Back Bay (Suburbs- Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline)
North End has to be somewhere in here before these two...Seaport too.

The South End has to come before Somerville too.

Old 12-03-2023, 05:19 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
North End has to be somewhere in here before these two...Seaport too.

The South End has to come before Somerville too.
They aren’t suburbs. Technically.

Old 12-03-2023, 05:47 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
For sure.

South Philly is less dilapidated for sure, but north Philly is zoned more liberally so you see a lot of mid-rises built throughout its vernacular.
Overall yes, but (for those unfamiliar) North Philadelphia also contains some of the best neighborhoods in the city (outside of Center City). Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Spring Garden, Fairmount etc., are technically North Philadelphia.

Last edited by cpomp; 12-03-2023 at 05:58 PM..

Old 12-03-2023, 06:09 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
The Bay Area has a lot of suburban downtowns that are relatively vibrant but I think the most consistently vibrant AND genuinely urban district in the entire Bay Area outside of SF proper is Chinatown Oakland.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:24 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
If it’s supposed to be the actual CBD in DC, then it would be way more than that because the official CBD in DC is way smaller and cuts the urban core into tons of neighborhoods. It’s the equivalent of cutting Midtown Manhattan into 3 different neighborhoods. DC would go like this:

DC
Golden Triangle, Foggy Bottom, Mt. Vernon Triangle, NOMA/Union Market, Navy Yard, Wharf\Waterfront Station, Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, Logan Circle, Shaw\U Street
Oh I know, it's certainly many more that would be considered, but I just named a few for each city.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysizz View Post
North Philly is more urban than South Philly?
Yes. I thought of this beforehand, South Philly is wall to wall urbanity, but North Philly you find higher densities and taller buildings overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Philadelphia: Are you including University City as part of the CBD? North Philly (at-large) qualifies too.
Philadelphia suburbs: I would remove Chester and replace with Wilmington, Upper Darby and West Chester. All of these areas are urban and high population density.

Chester has urban bones, but is a shell of what it once was.
I was considering UC as part of the CBD, but maybe I shouldn't have. Really most of Philly outside of Center City is really significantly urban, but I guess if separating U City from it, that obviously takes the cake.

Agreed on the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Great job taking this on! I'd add Hollywood for LA.

I'm not sure about listing entire cities as districts. It probably makes sense for smaller cities like Hoboken or even Santa Monica but for cities over 50 sq miles like Long Beach and Oakland I'm not sure. What do you think? For Long Beach maybe central/downtown Long Beach?
Not sure why I didn't think to add Hollywood 1st tbh. Regarding your point about the size of cities, I just wanted to name suburbs that came to the top of my head. I thought the OP was referring to particular sections of the primary cities, and just to name the most urban suburbs. But I guess we could be more specific in those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Charlotte - South End

St. Louis - Central West Side

Baltimore - Harbor East/Point is technically not part of the CBD. Hopkins medical campus is arguably more urban then Fells or Little Italy and arguments can be made for Canton as well

San Diego - Hillcrest, Bankers Hill
Noted. And yes I thought of Harbor East too, but was just lumping that in with the CBD although you would be correct that it's technically not.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:43 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
They aren’t suburbs. Technically.
Yea thats my point. Those should come before suburbs. Theyre not suburbs at all. More urban, and directy abut the CBD or very very close to it.

Old 12-03-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea thats my point. Those should come before suburbs. Theyre not suburbs at all. More urban, and directy abut the CBD or very very close to it.
I think there's two separate components being discussed. Most urban districts within the city that are not the CBD. Then the point of most urban "suburbs". Agreed that Seaport, North end, South end belong with the former.

Old 12-03-2023, 07:24 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
In any city, "outside the CBD" will mean "mixed-use district next to the CBD." Or maybe the OP means "outside of greater Downtown."

For Seattle that would disqualify SLU and Capitol Hill. The University District would win. It's rocketing up in urbanity, with a wave of new student housing towers and now a small "wave" of three new office buildings U-C, one directly over a new light rail subway station that opened two years ago. Even before the current wave, it had the only census tract in the region with six-figure density in 2020, predating much of the recent tower development there and elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City