Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 07:49 PM

577 posts, read 561,149 times

Advertisements

One place that comes to mind is Magazine Street in New Orleans. It goes on for miles through a residential area and is lined with adorable little shops, restaurants, antique stores, etc.

Also, I'm thinking of St. Louis which as a stunning number of restaurant/shopping type districts that go on forever. For example. South Grand, Cherokee Street, Manchester Avenue, Delmar Boulevard, and Euclid Avenue. I mean wow, St. Louis. Maybe because downtown St. Louis has taken a while to come back, these other parts of the city have flourished in a way I don't recall seeing in any other city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 05:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You are getting ahead of yourself there.
As someone from Houston. Whereinend is 1000% right. Nowhere in Houston had the density and walking population of West Campus is approaching 25,000-30,000 people in half a square mile.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 12-06-2023 at 05:37 PM..

Old 12-06-2023, 05:49 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
As someone from Houston. Whereinend is 1000% right. Nowhere in Houston had the density and walking population of West Campus is approaching 25,000-30,000 people in half a square mile.

It's gotten that dense?

I was going by this:

But in both cases the zip code is much bigger than the neighborhood.

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2023 at 06:19 AM..

Old 12-06-2023, 06:26 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
I've never been to Houston (want to go, tentatively planning a trip, if I ever visit a big Texas city its going to be Houston), so I don't know what "uptown" is like, but I do know there's no answer to the Williams Tower outside of NYC in terms of its placement outside of the CBD.

Old 12-06-2023, 06:50 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It's gotten that dense?

I was going by this:

But in both cases the zip code is much bigger than the neighborhood.
Unofficially its around there. For example West Campus has more than doubled it's population/beds since 2000 and almost certainly since 2010 as well, but relative to that growth, the growth of 78705 zip code from census to census hasn't changed much. in 2010 the zip code had 26,000 people and now it has 32,000 people, with about 14,000 of those living in West Campus by census numbers.

between 2005 and 2018, 12,000 beds were added to West Campus. As of 2018, another 10,000 beds planned or approve.

https://services.austintexas.gov/edi....cfm?id=311899

https://thedailytexan.com/2018/09/06...s-has-changed/

Now that doesn't translate to necessary population but you can see that the area is pretty severely undercounted. If it was accurate, I would expect to see a lot of 18-20 year old's in suburban areas in Texas that don't really live there. Even me personally around the time of the Census was definitely counted as a Katy area resident even though I was in Austin 8 months of the year.

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2023 at 06:19 AM..

Old 12-06-2023, 07:13 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I've never been to Houston (want to go, tentatively planning a trip, if I ever visit a big Texas city its going to be Houston), so I don't know what "uptown" is like, but I do know there's no answer to the Williams Tower outside of NYC in terms of its placement outside of the CBD.
If you ever visit a big Texas City I would recommend San Antonio instead. They package stereotypes better into packages visitors gobble up.

Uptown is great place to live but doesn't have much for visitors. Nothing I would plan a trip to see anyway.
Uptown blossomed around an indoor mall. There's lots of shopping around but the area isn't very pedestrian friendly despite major upgrades and a BRT line. Lots of office towers in the area (as much as downtown Dallas). And wrapped around all that is a ton of snotty neighborhoods, except the south which is a densely populated lower income area that for decades have attracted freshly arrived immigrants. Uptown does have excellent food and some of the best hotels and shopping in the state, but no one plans visit for the hotels... Well except it's like Vegas or something.

If you are going to Houston, Austin or Dallas already for whatever reason, then they all have enough to keep you entertained. But planning a trip to ones of those for leisure takes a lot of planning and research.
Might as well go with San Antonio and enjoy the pre- packaged tourism put together.

Old 12-06-2023, 10:39 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
One place that comes to mind is Magazine Street in New Orleans. It goes on for miles through a residential area and is lined with adorable little shops, restaurants, antique stores, etc.

Also, I'm thinking of St. Louis which as a stunning number of restaurant/shopping type districts that go on forever. For example. South Grand, Cherokee Street, Manchester Avenue, Delmar Boulevard, and Euclid Avenue. I mean wow, St. Louis. Maybe because downtown St. Louis has taken a while to come back, these other parts of the city have flourished in a way I don't recall seeing in any other city.
Magazine isn't retail for its entirety, it has big residential sections as well. It's split into three different retail zones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Uptown is 100% suburban. I used to live there. You look stupid trying to walk across Post Oak and Westheimer.

Old 12-07-2023, 02:40 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,937,987 times
This was posted in by Bloomberg News on Dec 6th and thought it would be nice to share...since I mentioned this a few posts back.

A 1980s Edge City Comes Back From the Brink, Minus Its Monorail
The master-planned Texas business hub of Las Colinas was built around cars and offices. Now it’s embraced apartments and evolved into a genuine — and quirky — urban area.

Aerial view showing the changes over the last 20 years

I've read in the Dallas Morning News that there's 65 acres left for development (as of 2022) out of 950 acres that make up the Urban Center. It is not 100% traditional urbanism, but for the suburbs it isn't horrible for what it is. At the very least, I do like it is not loaded with big box stores, strip shopping centers, and surface parking lots. Most suburban office parks (or whatever you want to call it) are loaded with it. They attempted or tried to introduce urbanism, even if it's not executed 100% right. From what the Bloomberg article says, they are open to further tweaks to make it better.

Old 12-07-2023, 01:52 PM

552 posts, read 407,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Chicago’s CBD definition includes River North and Streeterville so not sure those should be counted. Gold Coast is the densest neighborhood in the city (~60k ppsm) and falls outside of that boundary but is a relatively small pocket.

The next level in density would be the northern lakefront neighborhoods of Lakeview and Edgewater.
You are correct, contiguous sections of Lincoln-Park/Lakeview-East/Uptown from the lake-to-the-Red-Line 'east/west' and from Belden-to-Wilson 'north/south' is as urban as it gets in the U.S. outside of central business districts. There are multiple pockets in there with 80k+ ppsm. That district would be Chicago's mini Brooklyn for lack of a better comparison.

Old 12-07-2023, 02:04 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
This was posted in by Bloomberg News on Dec 6th and thought it would be nice to share...since I mentioned this a few posts back.

A 1980s Edge City Comes Back From the Brink, Minus Its Monorail
The master-planned Texas business hub of Las Colinas was built around cars and offices. Now it’s embraced apartments and evolved into a genuine — and quirky — urban area.

Aerial view showing the changes over the last 20 years

I've read in the Dallas Morning News that there's 65 acres left for development (as of 2022) out of 950 acres that make up the Urban Center. It is not 100% traditional urbanism, but for the suburbs it isn't horrible for what it is. At the very least, I do like it is not loaded with big box stores, strip shopping centers, and surface parking lots. Most suburban office parks (or whatever you want to call it) are loaded with it. They attempted or tried to introduce urbanism, even if it's not executed 100% right. From what the Bloomberg article says, they are open to further tweaks to make it better.
I am just now noticing that I posted the wrong picture.

This is 2003
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City