Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2024, 05:55 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
Aw man, you had me convinced up until I read that there was temptation to place the Bay Area on top.
I don't think it is fluid at all. I hope I am not misreading your post. What I'm reading is that #1-3 is interchangeable. If so that's where you lost me. The only legit contender is DC in that DC is the capital.

Apart from that New York is dominant over every other city by a good margin. It is probably the #1 or 2 most important city worldwide. London is it's only true rival.

SFBA at best is #3. At worst it is #5

It is even worse when you think of it as the city of NY alone can take on the combined Metros of the Bay and still dominate.

I would resist the temptation to alter the list. It looks spot on to me. I think Philly is being shortchanged a lot on these lists but the competition is fierce for that #10 spot. Philly is like DFW, it does well in a lot of areas but it doesn't really kill it in any key industry. But imo it is more important than Miami. It is top 3 for pharmaceuticals, top 5 for education, you mentioned earlier it was top 3 for telecommunications. That's 3 top 5s already. I really can't think of much Miami is top 5 in, let alone top 3.

Not sure how simply housing the CDC and having the 20something best med schools in the country are factors that help Atlanta dominate the HealthCare industry.

The federal government spreads it's medical departments around the country so the CDC alone isn't gonna cut it, and one top 25 med school isn't gonna cut it either. There are cities with 2 top ten med schools so Emory isn't gonna make a place a dominant med player.

The healcare industry is divided as follows:
2024, different healthcare sectors are predicted to earn the following profits:

Provider: $197.8 billion
Pharma: $169.9 billion
Payer: $116.6 billion
Medtech: $72.1 billion
Healthcare IT: $27.9 billion
Distribution and pharmacies: $18.9 billion

I don't think Atlanta is top in any of those, so we can stop listing Health as an industry sector where ATL is top of the pack. In the SE alone Nashville and the Triangle are more dominant than Atlanta
You might want to pay attention to the global health growth in the U.S. Atlanta and Seattle are the two premier cities that play a major role in that growing industry. They also are in the process of creating a bioparma "city" in Metro Atlanta that could eventually provide 80,000 jobs in the future.. Like it or not, housing the CDC does give Atlanta a heads up in the health industry. Contrarily, companies are simply relocating to Dallas and people are justifying as a reason to enhance its ranking among peer cities.

Lastly, who said Atlanta was near the top? I could've sworn that I used the term "rise"...

Last edited by cdw1084; 03-08-2024 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 08:09 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
These 2 can also be disputed. Houston is the leader in cancer research, has higher ranked medical schools and more life science activities. Atlanta has Emory as you mentioned, but Houston’s Baylor is ranked one spot higher by US news

For logistical hubs both are critical. Atlanta is higher in domestic, Houston is higher in international (port city).

You’re on point from A to C though. And I guess D but it’s less important
Houston is one of several cities that lead certain segments of cancer research--it's not "the leader" by any stretch. It's far down the list in terms of NIH dollars for all medical research, with no real major institutions at all. Just isolating cancer-focused organizations it's also down the list. Anderson (the whole organization) is typically about half the NIH funding of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center in Seattle for starters.

As for that "biopharma city" around Atlanta, I agree that the CDC is a draw, but grand real estate plans for biopharma are a dime a dozen. About 20 years ago every city had a grand plan to capture this new hot sector. Most still have the plans. The real top players remain SF, Bos, and SD as always. Another 10-20 also-rans have varying degrees of success, including Seattle often around #9 by various measures, but they tend to struggle for critical mass. It's not for want of grand plans.

Old 03-08-2024, 08:27 PM

356 posts, read 128,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
You might want to pay attention to the global health growth in the U.S. Atlanta and Seattle are the two premier cities that play a major role in that growing industry. They also are in the process of creating a bioparma "city" in Metro Atlanta that could eventually provide 80,000 jobs in the future.. Like it or not, housing the CDC does give Atlanta a heads up in the health industry. Contrarily, companies are simply relocating to Dallas and people are justifying as a reason to enhance its ranking among peer cities.

It's not a matter of liking it or not, it's the facts that are important.
I have been paying attention to the growthin the health industry, and every city claims to be the next big thing.
That industry is one of the top 3 biggest in the country for a reason, its because it is so diffuse.

Yeah, having the CDC is huge, but that is just one piece in the puzzle.

You will find that under the HHS umbrella, there are important webs of agencies all over the country. But the overwhelming weight of that industry, on the agency level is in DC.

The Biopharma city could generate 80k jobs, ... That's great, but TMC Helix park is creating 100k new jobs: https://www.tmc.edu/news/2021/08/tex...cience-campus/

Then TMC BioPort is coming right after Helix Park and that too is projecting 100k new jobs in the Health field.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hou...uring/%3famp=1

So no, it's not just ATL and Seattle that are premiere cities for Health industry growth. That industry is booming in every corner of the country. Atlanta can't be outpacing other cities in that field when other cities are adding just as many jobs in that field.

I don't know much about the Biopharma city, I would be happy to be educated on it, but I think that Houston's biomedical infrastructure is already ahead of Atlanta's and Houston's is set to explode in growth. It seems like Portal is the driving force behind Atlanta's Biotech hub and they are also involved in Houston's Helix Park. The ATL hub will be 18 acres, less than half the size of Helix Park, which itself is a fraction of the size of the TMC ecosystem. The ATL Hub is still getting off the ground, while the Houston folk are already chugging along. Looks like the Atlanta hub will have less than 2M sq feet of lab and office, Helix Park will have more than 6M. I know that Atlanta has hopes for a much larger site, but Houston's already purchased an
Additional 500 acres.

Houston's TMC is set up as a nonprofit center for biomedical research. The biotech infrastructure is there, but they can't legally monitor it. Helix Park and TMC Bioport are being built for profit so they can take advantage of all that innovation. Also, I focused on those two, but there are other huge projects, such as Generation Park and Levit Green are being contracted geared towards biotech $$.

Moral of the story is that it's developers job to hype up their project as the next big thing to propel the city to infinity and beyond. Problem is they take the same speech and spew it to the next city and then the next. Mhays25 is right, these massive projects are a dime a dozen. I listed 4 in Houston alone.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:04 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Washington D.C.
4. San Francisco
5. Chicago
6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Dallas

Haven't posted here since 2022, wow.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:57 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Any thoughts on Louisville, Birmingham, Richmond? Why cannot one or all three boom like NAshville? Lots was holding Louisville back before and that has gone....better mayor, lower state taxes, and alot of new development. I'd like to see one of these top 35. Louisville is an easy top 40 CSA today. I do not see it falling like this.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:04 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
WZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
It's not a matter of liking it or not, it's the facts that are important.
I have been paying attention to the growthin the health industry, and every city claims to be the next big thing.
That industry is one of the top 3 biggest in the country for a reason, its because it is so diffuse.

Yeah, having the CDC is huge, but that is just one piece in the puzzle.

You will find that under the HHS umbrella, there are important webs of agencies all over the country. But the overwhelming weight of that industry, on the agency level is in DC.

The Biopharma city could generate 80k jobs, ... That's great, but TMC Helix park is creating 100k new jobs: https://www.tmc.edu/news/2021/08/tex...cience-campus/

Then TMC BioPort is coming right after Helix Park and that too is projecting 100k new jobs in the Health field.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hou...uring/%3famp=1

So no, it's not just ATL and Seattle that are premiere cities for Health industry growth. That industry is booming in every corner of the country. Atlanta can't be outpacing other cities in that field when other cities are adding just as many jobs in that field.

I don't know much about the Biopharma city, I would be happy to be educated on it, but I think that Houston's biomedical infrastructure is already ahead of Atlanta's and Houston's is set to explode in growth. It seems like Portal is the driving force behind Atlanta's Biotech hub and they are also involved in Houston's Helix Park. The ATL hub will be 18 acres, less than half the size of Helix Park, which itself is a fraction of the size of the TMC ecosystem. The ATL Hub is still getting off the ground, while the Houston folk are already chugging along. Looks like the Atlanta hub will have less than 2M sq feet of lab and office, Helix Park will have more than 6M. I know that Atlanta has hopes for a much larger site, but Houston's already purchased an
Additional 500 acres.

Houston's TMC is set up as a nonprofit center for biomedical research. The biotech infrastructure is there, but they can't legally monitor it. Helix Park and TMC Bioport are being built for profit so they can take advantage of all that innovation. Also, I focused on those two, but there are other huge projects, such as Generation Park and Levit Green are being contracted geared towards biotech $$.

Moral of the story is that it's developers job to hype up their project as the next big thing to propel the city to infinity and beyond. Problem is they take the same speech and spew it to the next city and then the next. Mhays25 is right, these massive projects are a dime a dozen. I listed 4 in Houston alone.
I'm not even talking about Houston. Please post an A-E of how Dallas is ahead of Atlanta. Actually, Atlanta has an stronger argument against Houston than it does with Dallas. I posted an A-E about Atlanta and still haven't read why I should place Dallas in front of Atlanta. Let's say the U.S loses Atlanta, it would lose a cultural capital, which is clearly top 5. The U.S would lose its 2nd largest film producing city. It would lose a top 10 economy, it would lose numerous TV stations, it would lose the capital of the southeast, it would lose more fast food HQs than any other city in America, it would lose a growing global health care magnet, it would lose 3 top 15 HBCUs, it would lose places where Walmart and Visa opened offices to expand on diversity. It would lose one of the most important logistics hubs in the U.S, which would hamper the growth of the two of the fastest ports (Savannah and Brunswick) that's vital to the growing electric car industry in the U.S. Finally, it would lose a place that's projected to significantly expand its job growth over the next 10 years, right up there with Dallas.

Honestly it's not even close between Atlanta and Dallas if we're being honest. A larger GDP and population plays a role, but Atlanta clearly gains an edge, overall.

I'll wait and maybe I can see what myself and many others are missing.

Last edited by cdw1084; 03-08-2024 at 11:38 PM..

Old 03-08-2024, 11:37 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I said corner grocery, not 24-hour convenience store.
This is beginning to take on the qualities of a grudge match, but to sort of back you both up:

Most corner grocers I know (and most "corner stores" I've encountered are grocers) sell a wider variety of foodstuffs to prepare at home (canned goods, produce) than any convenience store does. Both carry milk, soda, bread, snacks and a smattering of household products and health and beauty aids. Most corner grocers also have delis at the back where you can get sliced meats, cheeses and sandwiches; some have grills and can make burgers and other hot foods.

Some convenience store chains have delis or offer deli sandwiches; the granddaddy of the category, 7-Eleven, does not. Soda, coffee and snacks make up a higher percentage of their product mix than they do of corner grocers. Many C-store chains offer a large selection of grab 'n' go sandwiches and salads, and most offer hot foods of some sort, such as burgers, pizza, wings or hot dogs. You'll also find specialized drinks like Icee or Slurpee slush drinks at these stores but not at corner grocers.

Most corner grocers do not stay open 24 hours; those in poorer or rougher neighborhoods will close earlier than those in more affluent or safer ones. Convenience store chains, most of which do keep their stores open round the clock, tend to shy away from the poorer neighborhoods as well.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 03-08-2024 at 11:52 PM..

Old 03-09-2024, 12:10 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
I would also like to back up the poster who said that Philadelphia gets shortchanged by many here in some areas. In particular, biomedical research.

I was looking for lists of NIH funding ranked by city/metro and couldn't find one; the NIH's own research funding tool gives figures by state and congressional district but not by city or metro and doesn't rank-order them. Well, I could find one, but the only figures it reported were NHI funding per capita, and it seems to me that most comparisons of biomedical research funding don't use the per-capita figure, which IMO makes sense because many large cities aren't as dependent on biomedical research as some smaller ones are.

The one ranked list I could find was one of academic and medical centers that received NIH funding in 2022. You might note that the University of Pennsylvania ranks sixth on this list, two notches above Atlanta's top-ranked institution, Emory University. Were the figures for Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women'a Hospital, now combined and both affiliated with Harvard Medical School, reported together on that list, it would rank first. Philadelphia's other academic medical centers —*Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (the nation's oldest), Thomas Jefferson University, Temple University Hospital and Drexel University College of Medicine — also receive NIH funding, and I suspect that were all the NIH-funded organizations in this region to be combined, Greater Philadelphia would place in the top five to seven for overall NIH funding.

Old 03-09-2024, 01:06 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I mostly agree with this, but I would give Houston the nod over Atlanta because of the energy industry. What Atlanta have in its favor is:

A) Capital of Black America.
B) Home to numerous Television Outlets.
C) 2nd largest movie producing city in America.
D) Home to more major Fast Food HQs than any other city.
E) Strong rise in global health due to the CDC, GT and Emory.
F) Critical Logistics Hub.

While I think that's definitely enough for 8th, I'm curious to know why do you place it over Houston?
Cultural Impact — Atlanta Influences the World
Capital of the American South — A Major World Subregion
Regional Domination — In the World’s Most Powerful Country

Old 03-09-2024, 01:52 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Washington D.C.
4. San Francisco
5. Chicago
6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Dallas

Haven't posted here since 2022, wow.
Red John is back! Wow, where are you at now, I know some years back you'd moved on back to Singapore, if I recall correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Any thoughts on Louisville, Birmingham, Richmond? Why cannot one or all three boom like NAshville? Lots was holding Louisville back before and that has gone....better mayor, lower state taxes, and alot of new development. I'd like to see one of these top 35. Louisville is an easy top 40 CSA today. I do not see it falling like this.
I just think some places are slow and steady while others are boomtowns, and I think that's okay. GDP Richmond is now $19B larger (21%) than next-place Louisville, abd MSA Richmond is growing faster than both MSAs Louisville and Birmingham, so there appears to be some separation growing between Rich and those two...

I don't think Louisville is close to Top 40, and I don't think Birmingham is Top 50 at all. I don't think either of the three cities are dynamic enough in any particular area that could inspire the boom Nashville has seen, and I think that's okay! Because all three cities are still seeing healthy growth, it just isn't rapid growth...

Alot of cities have good leadership and string development, those aren't factors alone that ignite ascension...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City