Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Southern Big Leagues
I'd prefer GEORGIA 12 18.18%
I'd prefer FLORIDA 6 9.09%
I'd prefer TEXAS 12 18.18%
I'd prefer NORTH CAROLINA 16 24.24%
I'd prefer VIRGINIA 15 22.73%
I likes the south ALL ABOVE 2 3.03%
bless their hearts but NEITHER 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 07:41 PM

368 posts, read 141,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m not sure how Texas can be ahead of NC in higher education. Overall, they’re around even. Pound for pound NC takes it in a landslide
Definitely.
NC excels in quite a few categories and has always been one of my favorite states.
I find the weather overall is quite pleasant.
The scenery is so varied
It does quite well in higher education pound for pound
Texas may have a greater number of decent schools but it also has double the population. NC is top heavy.

Duke is THE Southern Ivy.
Rice, Vanderbilt, UNC, Virginia, Washington and Lee, and Emory are second Tier 1B
And SMU, Baylor, TCU, Wake Forest, UT, Georgia Tech, Tulane, A&M... etc are Tier1 C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 10:28 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,596,495 times
I’m sorry but UT needs to be in Tier 1B. It is absolutely on the same level as UNC and UVA. Georgia Tech also should be there. I also wouldn’t be that quick to say Duke is that far above Rice either.

Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM

730 posts, read 499,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I’m sorry but UT needs to be in Tier 1B. It is absolutely on the same level as UNC and UVA. Georgia Tech also should be there. I also wouldn’t be that quick to say Duke is that far above Rice either.
I understand your argument for UT definitely being with UNC and UVA however Duke is either a tier above Rice or at the highest end if some would consider them in the same tier.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM

12,874 posts, read 9,619,331 times
Quote:
I agree that GT and UT should be on same tier as uva but they are slightly behind. But I would put them there before putting them in the third tier

I wouldn’t sleep on Tulane and I think Emory is well regarded. Vanderbilt is at least on par with uva.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

4,161 posts, read 2,867,034 times
My way of looking at it.

Texas: UT- Austin, TAMU, Rice, SMU, Baylor, Houston
NC: Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, NCSU, Wake Forest

Once you factor in the UT system (Dallas, Arlington, San Antonio, El Paso, etc) is better than UNC’s (Greensboro, Charlotte, Asheville, Wilmington, etc), I think it’s heavily weighted towards Texas. Per capita and top-end is possible to argue I suppose, but it would be hard for me to ignore the depth in Texas education.

Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

9,944 posts, read 6,655,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
My way of looking at it.

Texas: UT- Austin, TAMU, Rice, SMU, Baylor, Houston
NC: Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, NCSU, Wake Forest

Once you factor in the UT system (Dallas, Arlington, San Antonio, El Paso, etc) is better than UNC’s (Greensboro, Charlotte, Asheville, Wilmington, etc), I think it’s heavily weighted towards Texas. Per capita and top-end is possible to argue I suppose, but it would be hard for me to ignore the depth in Texas education.
The first 4 for Texas are the only that can match the NC group. And SMU is a stretch. In terms of per capital, it’s not possible to argue. There’s no arguments. Per capita goes to NC. Texas has 3 times the population and NC still has the better schools.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM

543 posts, read 826,609 times
Whatever tier you want to put them in, Duke, Rice, Vanderbilt, and Emory are on the same level.
Likewise UVA, UNC, UT, and Ga Tech are the same level.
UT - Dallas, not well known but underrated.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM

9,944 posts, read 6,655,141 times
Quote:
The way I see it Duke and Rice are in the same level but Duke wins the tie breaker because it has more programs.

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

543 posts, read 826,609 times
Preferable State: Southern Big Leagues

- Preferred Location Texas
- Brighter Future Texas
- Best Major Cities Texas
- Best Secondary Cities Texas
- Topography & Landscapes NC
- Economy Texas
- Higher Education Texas
- Weather NC
- The State I Prefer is? Texas

Though NC's better weather makes it close and it has the best college town too. Higher ed is close, but some posters here got me to reevaluate and put Tx ahead of NC.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,334,648 times
Preferred location: Virginia. Best mix of topography, east coast beaches, mountains, piedmont, charming historic towns and closest to the Northeast, my favorite region.

Brighter future: North Carolina seems poised for a very bright future. Texas as a runner up.

Best Major Cities: Texas. Can’t deny it. Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio. All economic and cultural powerhouses.

Best secondary cities: Florida. There are many vibrant ones to choose. I’m thinking of St. Pete, Boca, Ft. Lauderdale, St. Augustine, Pensacola. You could argue their secondary cities are better than their major cities.

Topography and landscapes: Virginia. This will be controversial because NC seems like the favored option, but I truly believe VA offers better natural scenery. The Shenandoah Valley is breathtaking, then there’s the Tidewater region. I just find it to be the most peaceful.

Economy: Texas. Data doesn’t lie.

Higher education: Maybe North Carolina?

Weather: Virginia. Most mild summers and cool winters. Just my personal taste. I enjoy snowy winters and breezy summers. VA probably offers the best fall foliage too.

State I prefer: Well I live in Georgia, but apparently it’s not here lol. Tbh I don’t have much love for this state outside of Atlanta and Savannah anyway. So I guess my winner is Virginia. I wouldn’t call it a top 10 state, but I could see myself happily settling in NoVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City