Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Southern Big Leagues
I'd prefer GEORGIA 16 20.00%
I'd prefer FLORIDA 6 7.50%
I'd prefer TEXAS 13 16.25%
I'd prefer NORTH CAROLINA 18 22.50%
I'd prefer VIRGINIA 20 25.00%
I likes the south ALL ABOVE 2 2.50%
bless their hearts but NEITHER 5 6.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 02:02 PM

12,905 posts, read 9,635,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
My way of looking at it.

Texas: UT- Austin, TAMU, Rice, SMU, Baylor, Houston
NC: Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, NCSU, Wake Forest

Once you factor in the UT system (Dallas, Arlington, San Antonio, El Paso, etc) is better than UNC’s (Greensboro, Charlotte, Asheville, Wilmington, etc), I think it’s heavily weighted towards Texas. Per capita and top-end is possible to argue I suppose, but it would be hard for me to ignore the depth in Texas education.
North Carolinas top two is hard to beat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 09:07 AM

19 posts, read 9,514 times
Feel like Georgia's secondary cities have good room to grow. Columbus has one of the best downtowns around with lots more on the way. Augusta is in good shape. Savannah is absolutely beautiful.

Old 05-07-2024, 11:14 AM

102 posts, read 85,738 times
Florida has the best cities and it's not even close. In Miami and Orlando you have commuter rails and the brightline serving both regions. It is diversifying it's job market very well with tech and business. I can go on and on.

Old 05-07-2024, 11:18 AM

9,962 posts, read 6,670,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGenious25 View Post
Florida has the best cities and it's not even close. In Miami and Orlando you have commuter rails and the brightline serving both regions. It is diversifying it's job market very well with tech and business. I can go on and on.
This doesn’t sound biases at all

Old 05-07-2024, 11:26 AM

2,368 posts, read 2,330,891 times
Quote:
It’s between Florida or Texas and comes down to a matter of preference. However, the other states aren’t comparable really. How do you match up Atlanta vs Miami, Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville. It can be done, it just isn’t a realistic comparison.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:03 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,417,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I agree. Overall, I think it goes to NC even. Duke beats Rice and UNC Chapel Hill beats UT Austin. Pound for pound it’s no contest.
UT Austin ranks higher than UNC in Engineering, Business, Law, Computer Science amongst other things. How do you figure that UNC is better? I think UT Austin is ahead of Duke in most of those programs as well. It's ahead of Rice in pretty much everything. Rice is really small and selective for its overall student body but the top programs are UT are universally better than Rice.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:06 PM

2,862 posts, read 4,634,754 times
Quote:
I don't know about that. All of these states have nice cities. I would call GA an outlier because of the drastic drop from Atlanta to the secondary cities. I am not calling the GA secondary cities bad, by the way. I am just speaking about the overall sizes. If anything, I feel like NC And TX can also make the claim here since the cities are very balanced in those states.

Maybe VA, as well.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:17 PM

2,368 posts, read 2,330,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
UT Austin ranks higher than UNC in Engineering, Business, Law, Computer Science amongst other things. How do you figure that UNC is better? I think UT Austin is ahead of Duke in most of those programs as well. It's ahead of Rice in pretty much everything. Rice is really small and selective for its overall student body but the top programs are UT are universally better than Rice.
USNWR has UNC at #22 and UT Austin at #32. Both are pretty great.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:33 PM

2,862 posts, read 4,634,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
It’s between Florida or Texas and comes down to a matter of preference. However, the other states aren’t comparable really. How do you match up Atlanta vs Miami, Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville. It can be done, it just isn’t a realistic comparison.
You are correct, it's a personal preference, but you couldn't pay me to live in Florida again. I was stationed at MacDill AFB from 2016-2020 and enjoyed it, but looking at Florida and their current Governor, insurance company issues...etc. I will politely pass.

In fact, for me, I would choose GA, NC, VA and TX before Florida, in that order.

Old 05-07-2024, 12:46 PM

8,488 posts, read 15,027,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
My preference for living, highest to lowest

Virginia
Texas
Georgia
North Carolina
Florida

Arlington/Alexandria would be my top pick for VA -- that's not really what people mean when they think of the South, but all five of these states have significant "non-Southern" areas like that

The Virginia Appalachians seem beautiful, though (been through there once as a kid but don't remember much). Would enjoy checking out Roanoke and Blacksburg
It's funny that people can easily understand there is a difference between NoVA (which I'll fight anyone that thinks it's in anyway different that the suburbs in Northern Atlanta) and the rest of Virginia but some how the other states in the South do not get the same treatment (well i guess Miami does). Spend 5 seconds in the part of Virginia that isn't NoVA (although you can certainly find plenty of southerness there) there isn't any mistaking where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City