Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Southern Big Leagues
I'd prefer GEORGIA 16 19.28%
I'd prefer FLORIDA 7 8.43%
I'd prefer TEXAS 14 16.87%
I'd prefer NORTH CAROLINA 19 22.89%
I'd prefer VIRGINIA 20 24.10%
I likes the south ALL ABOVE 2 2.41%
bless their hearts but NEITHER 5 6.02%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 10:20 PM

869 posts, read 471,063 times

Advertisements

Only someone from UT would say it’s a better school overall than Rice. Rice has a higher graduation rate, higher median earnings, a smaller student to faulty ratio which fosters a more intimate class setting, and a smarter student body that would be more intellectually challenging. UT is a great school but Rice is just better overall.

From the US Government scorecard:
Rice - https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/scho...ice-University
UT Austin - https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/scho...exas-at-Austin

Duke, Rice, Vanderbilt, and Emory are the tier 1 of Southern universities. UT would be tier 2 with schools like UVA, UNC, Georgia Tech, etc.

Last edited by DaBears02; 05-07-2024 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 07:22 AM

9,978 posts, read 6,685,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Only someone from UT would say it’s a better school overall than Rice. Rice has a higher graduation rate, higher median earnings, a smaller student to faulty ratio which fosters a more intimate class setting, and a smarter student body that would be more intellectually challenging. UT is a great school but Rice is just better overall.

Duke, Rice, Vanderbilt, and Emory are the tier 1 of Southern universities. UT would be tier 2 with schools like UVA, UNC, Georgia Tech, etc.
To be fair, what he’s saying are valid points. UT does have higher highs in more fields. But the only reason for completely ignoring important metrics that matter, is for being (apparently) a UT fan boy.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:58 AM

869 posts, read 471,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
To be fair, what he’s saying are valid points. UT does have higher highs in more fields. But the only reason for completely ignoring important metrics that matter, is for being (apparently) a UT fan boy.
True but it’s the same way U of M or UIUC has higher highs in more fields than say Northwestern or U Chicago. While it is true and a valid point, the more intimate class setting of Northwestern/U Chicago along with higher grad rates and better outcomes are reasons why Northwestern/Chicago outperform Michigan or Illinois (not to take a shot at Michigan or Illinois since both are also phenomenal schools as is UT Austin).

While UT is a great school (easily number 2 in TX and one of the best public schools in the world), Rice as an overall university is more prestigious and it is more impressive to have a degree from Rice than UT, which is why outcomes look the way they do.

I agree that selectivity can be overrated at times but there are still some benefits from it.

Last edited by DaBears02; 05-08-2024 at 09:11 AM..

Old 05-08-2024, 11:36 AM

741 posts, read 503,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I think I’m the only one who’s given topography to TX so far. It’s mostly been NC, which does offer a lot, but I think West Texas has it beat. I don’t think it should be too lopsided towards NC here when TX has Big Bend NP, Palo Duro Canyon, and more.
The Outer Banks say hello...

Old 05-08-2024, 11:52 AM

9,978 posts, read 6,685,168 times
Quote:
True but it’s the same way U of M or UIUC has higher highs in more fields than say Northwestern or U Chicago. While it is true and a valid point, the more intimate class setting of Northwestern/U Chicago along with higher grad rates and better outcomes are reasons why Northwestern/Chicago outperform Michigan or Illinois (not to take a shot at Michigan or Illinois since both are also phenomenal schools as is UT Austin).

While UT is a great school (easily number 2 in TX and one of the best public schools in the world), Rice as an overall university is more prestigious and it is more impressive to have a degree from Rice than UT, which is why outcomes look the way they do.

I agree that selectivity can be overrated at times but there are still some benefits from it.
Also, USNWR has a weird tendency of factoring in size for individual department rankings but not for general university ranking. Rice has a higher ranked program than UT in some of the fields mentioned such as Computer Science and Electric Engineering on Niche (which is the second most trusted university ranking system after USNWR). Rice is climbing the list in the CompSci department, I wouldn’t be surprised if it surpasses UT at CompSci within the next decade on USNWR. They’ve been pouring money to improve the program there.

I’m surprised to see Carnegie Mellon is now placed as a tie. It was generally thought as third behind Stanford and MIT, now it’s right along side with them as the big 3. Interesting

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...ience-rankings

Old 05-10-2024, 07:11 PM

19,945 posts, read 18,224,907 times
Quote:
I’m not sure how Texas can be ahead of NC in higher education. Overall, they’re around even. Pound for pound NC takes it in a landslide
I'm not so sure. Nominally, Texas wins going away. Relatively, Duke, UNC and WF and some other NC schools are no doubt excellent. And for sure my info. is dated our family researched the heck out schools all over the country for our kids especially our son who at the time was thinking about majoring in analytical chemistry. UNC's AC degree is (at least was) among the best in the world. Now to my point at the time UT-Austin had more top 10 ranked programs than UNC, Duke and Wake Forest combined. Also UT-Austin produced more medical school admits than UNC, Duke and WF combined.

As an aside Pepperdine excepted as unfair..........Wake Forest has the most beautiful campus and setting I've seen.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:29 PM

Quote:

I'm a Rice grad. UT Austin has something like 6x more top 10 ranked programs than Rice. Ranking schools by student to faculty ratio and graduation rates is like asking Mike Brady for fashion advice. Today top rising HS grads gravitate towards specific degree programs, professors and linkages towards graduate schooling. FE most years little ole' Baylor Waco sees more grads win medical school seats than Duke or Georgia Tech or Vandy.

Also so far rankings. IIRC it's Newsweek that has UT Austin at like #60 in the US but also #35 in the world or similar every year.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
The Times World University Rankings has UT at #52 and UNC at #72. UT also has almost 2x UNC's enrollment (and 3x Duke's), which puts it at a disadvantage in these rankings systems that are based on selectivity.

Anyway, I would rank NC as a state better here because it has more solid options per-capita. But individually, I wouldn't describe any university in NC (including Duke) as being a tier above UT Austin. They are just smaller and slightly more selective for the overall student body. UT has a bunch of nationally elite programs.

UT: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...erall-rankings
Duke: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...erall-rankings
UNC: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...erall-rankings

Depends on the major of course but I certainly don't see UT being outclassed here. If anything UNC is the one that is the most inconsistent.

(Btw, Rice is a clear #4 here. It's not particularly elite in anything).
You are arguing with people who will miss your thesis with intent or not but they will miss it. This may be dated as well but a few years ago The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas employed more National Academy of Science + National Academy of Medicine + Hughes Medical Investigators than all of North Carolina entities combined. Nobel Prize winners too.

It is really tough to grasp let alone explain how deep and wide the UT system is. Think about this one. UT-Dallas produces more rising MDs than Duke and it is not close.

Last edited by EDS_; 05-10-2024 at 07:49 PM..

Old 05-10-2024, 08:51 PM

9,383 posts, read 20,851,479 times
El Paso is all I would consider.

Old 05-11-2024, 12:56 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,423,369 times
Quote:
Rice is the best undergraduate experience besides maaaaybe Duke. But even probably more so than Duke. The only reason you hold no value on criteria such as student to faculty ratio is because you’re (apparently) a UT fan boy. I’ll compromise and agree that the selectivity element is a bit overrated. But even that holds its merits because it means you’re consistently surrounded by higher prospects.
Rice undergrad enrollment is less than 5k. I'm just saying that UT has well more than 5k students that could have gone to Rice if they felt like it. It's ranked significantly higher than Rice in literally every selective program. What is a single field that Rice is considered to be particularly elite in? Rice has zero grads that are fortune 500 CEOs and 3 that are billionaires, compared to UT that has 9 F500 CEOs and 17 billionaires.

UT is the much larger and more impactful institution of the two and it isn't at all close.

Duke and UNC to their credit do have certain fields that they surpass UT in, so I think that is a closer call, though I still object to the idea of those schools being "better" in general, given the significant size disparity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City