Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 09:21 PM

536 posts, read 2,156,301 times

Advertisements

I can't listen to "new" hip hop/rap.... sorry can't do it. I haven't listened to the radio for years. I tried to watch the VMA's the other night and had to turn it off quick. What is music coming to? Anyway, im still saying HIP HOP is from NYC. Most of the greats are from there... sorry Lil whoever.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,372,524 times
Outside of main stream gangsta rap, the West dominates. We have most of the unheard of bands that mix hip-hop and electronic or hip-hop and screamo or just hip-hop and techno. It's hard to describe, but I know for a fact that the east coast doesn't have nearly as many as the west coast. My favorite are Hyper Crush, Brokencyde, 3OH!3, Millionaires, Hollywood Undead, Ultraviolet Sound, and a few others. Check them out on Myspace. You'll be quite surprised at their type of music. And let me tell you, it's a love it or hate it. I don't know anyone who thinks it's okay. They either become your favorite band or you never listen to them again. LOL.

Last edited by jessemh431; 09-10-2008 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 10:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,255,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well not when you have artists like Lil Will and Big Tuck. I can't stand Big Tuck and I will admit, I only heard my dougie from Lil Will which was garbage and another dance song for the kids. Why not talk about PPT? Or Strange Fruit Project or Verbal Seed (know both groups from Waco but they also rep Dallas).
I was surprised at the rap talent in Waco. My dad is good friends with the dudes in Verbal Seed.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:58 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,294,658 times
1)Atlanta
2)NYC
3)Detroit
4)St. Louis
5)Oakland
6)Los Angeles
7)Miami
8)Philly
9)Chicago (tie)
9)Houston (tie)

Houston doesn't hit me as a Hip Hop city...and I live like up a little bit... I mean I guess it produces a little bit...but I mean number one?
Am i missing something???
I mean I listen to hip hop....

Old 09-11-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
1)Atlanta
2)NYC
3)Detroit
4)St. Louis
5)Oakland
6)Los Angeles
7)Miami
8)Philly
9)Chicago (tie)
9)Houston (tie)

Houston doesn't hit me as a Hip Hop city...and I live like up a little bit... I mean I guess it produces a little bit...but I mean number one?
Am i missing something???
I mean I listen to hip hop....
Produced just a little bit??? Where were you when Paul Wall,Mikes Jones, Slim Thug,Trae, Z-ro were and still making hits???

Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 AM

16 posts, read 63,377 times
Too each its own i know plenty people that like the music from Dallas here, I mean this thread really has no right or wrong answers because we are all from different regions and like different types of music, so while you think that it's trash I could say the same about those rappers out of Waco, but i can't because I never heard them, so IMO that was my top 10, but I know that many people on CD may not live down here and have not heard any of the music out of Dallas, but I'll be at club Metropolis tonight and it's not little kids that will be in there and you will see how the dance floor gets full when they play my duggie and especially "get money" by Big Tuck. I would tell you to check out some of the downtown clubs and see how many like it and listen to the Dallas music, but we getting Hurricane Ike, which is hitting tommorrow night, I believe.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,325,871 times
Quote:
Well. I am speaking on purely hip hop and what many people that grew up with hip hop want out of the music they are hearing. Shawty Lo, Young Jeezy(from Macon, actually), T-Pain (from Tallahassee actually), are simply garbage. They are made for the radio which is basically crap nowadays. You will find many from Houston that do not CARE for Paul Wall or Mike Jones.

But I'm looking at not just the radio. But the underground as well and that's where Houston trumps Atlanta. Houston before 2005 was very well known for it's underground scene and they had very talented lyricists during that time. Yes, I have heard both cities underground scenes.

As far as R&B. I'm actually upset with the state of this great genre moreso than the state of hip hop now. Ciara may can dance. Can't sing a lick though. Neither can T-Pain. Neither can Akon. Now Atlanta had the SOS band, Xscape, TLC, Monica, Jagged Edge and more. Many artists/groups that harmonized, had vocal talent, played instruments, had diverse content and subjects, and more. This was just some parts of the essence of R&B which is gone today for some reason.

I don't listen to the radio (or watch TV), I didn't diss Atlanta. I like Stat Quo alot from Atlanta. But too many bad artists is hurting the city's legacy. Ying Yang Twins, Young Joc, Da Shop Boyz, Dem Franchize Boyz, Rocko, Lil Jon, and more hurts the legacy that Outkast, Goodie Mob started IMO. The kids love it. But most people over 25 and up that grew up listening to Rakim to Biggie to Tupac to Jay Z sees this era is mediocre at best and those clowns have something to do with it.

Now don't get me wrong. Houston has it's share of clowns (Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Slim Thug, Lil Flip). It's just like any other city. But Houston itself does not care for Mike Jones (apparent since they booed him off the stage) and Paul Wall (reps every hood in the city even tho he's not from that hood) because they are gimmicks which Houston is not a big fan of.

end long post.
Trust me, man--I feel you completely about the state of hip hop. I believe that we have the same musical tastes given what you've stated in your post. However, if we're talking about the nerve center of hip hop at this moment, I believe it's in Atlanta. The more popular acts, no matter how lousy or studio-enhanced they are, comprise some of the top selling artists in contemporary music. Even musicians who aren't native Atlantans relocate here to try to launch their careers. And believe me, there are a lot of folks here who can't stand Ying Yang Twins or D4L. Atlanta even has a very significant underground scene.

If we really want to talk about underground scenes, I think that the Bay Area is leading the pack right now with LA not falling to far behind. Philadelphia is also another place with a significant underground scene.

BTW, although Dallas may not be a "hip hop city", I still gotta give props to the DOC's "No One Can Do It Better" and Ms Erykah Badu.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiVinG Life To Da FuLLeSt View Post
Too each its own i know plenty people that like the music from Dallas here, I mean this thread really has no right or wrong answers because we are all from different regions and like different types of music, so while you think that it's trash I could say the same about those rappers out of Waco, but i can't because I never heard them, so IMO that was my top 10, but I know that many people on CD may not live down here and have not heard any of the music out of Dallas, but I'll be at club Metropolis tonight and it's not little kids that will be in there and you will see how the dance floor gets full when they play my duggie and especially "get money" by Big Tuck. I would tell you to check out some of the downtown clubs and see how many like it and listen to the Dallas music, but we getting Hurricane Ike, which is hitting tommorrow night, I believe.
When did I say Dallas music was trash??? Obviously its very hard to believe you listened to rap.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,599,650 times
I hear ya south-to-west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
When did I say Dallas music was trash??? Obviously its very hard to believe you listened to rap.
He made that comment to me. I think he likes his music where he can club to. That's cool but that's basically all they are good for. But Lil Will and Big Tuck are terrible lyricists, has terrible content, an average flow, terrible delivery, and basically has nothing to talk about. Yes, kids love that Lil Will song and the song is marketed to kids like the music industry has always done. The only reason why they are liked is the production (which is subpar) and the simple things they talk about. Verbal Seed and Strange Fruit Project are better lyricists, has better subjects, good to great delivery and a good flow. It isn't about the clubs all the time.

But it's alright. Lil Will and Tuck make songs for the radio of which I cannot stand to listen to.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:55 PM

45 posts, read 164,663 times
Quote:
I hear ya south-to-west.

He made that comment to me. I think he likes his music where he can club to. That's cool but that's basically all they are good for. But Lil Will and Big Tuck are terrible lyricists, has terrible content, an average flow, terrible delivery, and basically has nothing to talk about. Yes, kids love that Lil Will song and the song is marketed to kids like the music industry has always done. The only reason why they are liked is the production (which is subpar) and the simple things they talk about. Verbal Seed and Strange Fruit Project are better lyricists, has better subjects, good to great delivery and a good flow. It isn't about the clubs all the time.

But it's alright. Lil Will and Tuck make songs for the radio of which I cannot stand to listen to.
Whats with all the Big Tuck and Lil Will talk?

Tum Tum had a bigger hit than both of them and the outrageous haircut to match!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City