Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 PM

391 posts, read 1,249,098 times

Advertisements

Not sure why people always wanna compare their city's crime stats with NYC's. Its like theyre proud of their city's high crime rate and look up to NY for approval.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:18 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Orlando Florida

Old 07-12-2009, 08:14 PM

258 posts, read 325,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Orlando Florida
Orlando only has crime in 4 areas: North, South, East, and West
I encourage all visitors to cling to the Disney properties and hotels. They (thugs) are starting to target I-Drive in touristland as well.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
I encourage all visitors to cling to the Disney properties and hotels. They (thugs) are starting to target I-Drive in touristland as well.
I agree:

The Crime In Orlando Florida Is Out of Control! Because Orlando Florida Sucks!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 AM

330 posts, read 681,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Criminals in Orlando look for people who are obviously tourists. Don't be pulling out maps in public view to figure out where you're going. Don't be wearing t-shirts with Mickey Mouse on them. Use some common sense.

Of course Orlando is still a high-crime city, but you can lessen your chances of being a victim by not being stupid. Years ago they stopped have decals of car rental companies on the cars because criminals saw easier targets when they saw a rental car.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:00 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
Compare that to Englewood on the southside. In 91 they had 81 murders in 4 months with a population of 40k. Thats 202/100k in 4 months. Even if you assume that there were only 80 more murders throughout the rest of the year, thats a rate of over 400 per 100k. This was not the only place in Chicago like that.
Man, now THAT sounds pretty bad!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
Not sure why people always wanna compare their city's crime stats with NYC's. Its like theyre proud of their city's high crime rate and look up to NY for approval.
It ends up happening when NYers consistently beat us over the head with NYC crime stats that they are for whatever reason so proud of and claim they're the worst, looking for reassurance from the rest of us that their crime is awful. Then people respond with the knowledge that crime rates in other parts of the country are much worse. Its not a matter of pride for (most of ) those of us outside NYC. It just so happens that crime elsewhere often exceeds it nowadays.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Lol man, is Orlando really that bad now? I've never been out that way, but I didn't realize it was supposed to be that bad. Is it up there with Miami?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
It ends up happening when NYers consistently beat us over the head with NYC crime stats that they are for whatever reason so proud of and claim they're the worst, looking for reassurance from the rest of us that their crime is awful. Then people respond with the knowledge that crime rates in other parts of the country are much worse. Its not a matter of pride for (most of ) those of us outside NYC. It just so happens that crime elsewhere often exceeds it nowadays.
What a blanket statement, I don't know anyone from NY who's proud of any crime and claiming they're the worst. And I for one actually thought NYC was fairly safe depending where you go like any major city.

I happen to think Newark, NJ is ONE of the worst. The reality show "DEA" is even shooting their current season there.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:30 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
1. How can anyone SEE how "notorious" a place is?? If its notorious, then that perception is already in place. You shouldn't have to tell anyone if a place actually is notorious.

2. I took a look for myself at 4 different blocks in that area on google maps as you suggested, just to see what you're always making such a big fuss about. What is supposed to be the big deal?? Visually it looks like anywhere else with brick buildings and trees. I'll even give you the exact views I looked at:

-280 E 180th St, New York, NY, United States
-230 E 181st St, New York, NY, United States
-2492 Marion Ave, New York, NY, United States
-2056 Valentine Ave, New York, NY, United States

I quit after that cuz it was boring. All I saw were clean, empty streets that didn't even appear to have any trash or graffiti. Man that place looks really safe from google maps, I don't know what you're even talking about. Visually it looks just like anywhere else in the 85-90% of NYC that is clean and safe. And you've been saying THAT is the definition of the hood, and LA is safe??? LMFAO!!! Boy do you ever got things twisted.

If you've got specific blocks that you'd cherry pick to show that look bad there, then MAYBE that is the case. But going to google maps and randomly looking at the street views of the first 4 I checked looked plenty fine to me. Its a far cry from the "20 hustlers on EVERY block" and the extreme poverty that you make this place out to be. You must have some kind of phobia of bricks or something, b/c other than that nothing shown was consitent with what you've described in previous posts. I have no idea why you keep making such a big deal out of this place LOL.
I haven't been up that way in a while so i can't speak about how it is now but of the 4 addresses aren't 3 within a block of the precinct house and the 4th is Our Lady of Mercy Church. I know the street the church is on has always been ok since it is right off Fordham and stays pretty busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City