Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:14 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times

Advertisements

Both have pewny skylines. Which would I rather live in if given the choice? San Jose

Old 05-01-2010, 02:15 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Both have pewny skylines. Which would I rather live in if given the choice? San Jose
Matt, would you compare them to TMC Houston?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:43 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josehernandez017 View Post
Phoenix, Az is a very dry and dusty outpost city that just grew in population because of its weather after air conditioning was invented. It still hasn't lost its dry dusty "last outpost on the trail" type of feel. It is an absolute nowhere land way, way out there in the middle of the desert.

Eventually it had enough people to warrant putting up a Walmart and then eventually they had enough Walmarts to employ enough people to put up a Home Depot and then came Taco Bell and MCdonalds and a mall and eventually a whole Master planned community was born. Well this growing community and the home depot, Walmart, Taco Bell etc. as well as needing people to help build all the new houses and work at the restaurants attracted illegal aliens to come and get jobs there. The cycle just kept repeating itself until today. That in a nut shell is what Phoenix is.
The largest industry is just building more houses and home depots and Taco bells etc. Why would you need any hirise buildings for that??

So if you expect a dazzling skyline to come out of all this you won't be getting it any time soon. This just goes to show that you can build a city based on services without any core industry at all. Growth is the industry. The only problem is what do you do if the growth stops????? OOOOOOPS!!!!

there's more to Phoenix then that Luke Airforce base is around Phoenix several Fortune 500 companys are in Phoenix Avnet,US Airways,PetSmart and a few others.

Luke Air Force Base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of corporations in Phoenix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-16-2014, 03:00 PM

297 posts, read 476,271 times
Default Wow, very misinformed, biased and hater-like post about Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by josehernandez017 View Post
Phoenix, Az is a very dry and dusty outpost city that just grew in population because of its weather after air conditioning was invented. It still hasn't lost its dry dusty "last outpost on the trail" type of feel. It is an absolute nowhere land way, way out there in the middle of the desert.

Eventually it had enough people to warrant putting up a Walmart and then eventually they had enough Walmarts to employ enough people to put up a Home Depot and then came Taco Bell and MCdonalds and a mall and eventually a whole Master planned community was born. Well this growing community and the home depot, Walmart, Taco Bell etc. as well as needing people to help build all the new houses and work at the restaurants attracted illegal aliens to come and get jobs there. The cycle just kept repeating itself until today. That in a nut shell is what Phoenix is.
The largest industry is just building more houses and home depots and Taco bells etc. Why would you need any hirise buildings for that??

So if you expect a dazzling skyline to come out of all this you won't be getting it any time soon. This just goes to show that you can build a city based on services without any core industry at all. Growth is the industry. The only problem is what do you do if the growth stops????? OOOOOOPS!!!!
Phoenix Arizona is the by-product of Californians, and their belief (in the 80's) that the State of California was going to Fall into the ocean, and that Arizona was going to be the "new" Beach-front property (much propaganda, thanks to Superman the movie, with Christopher Reeve).

In other words.. Californians were FLEEING the state, and but trying to not to go too far from "home". Phoenix was where they decided to plant themselves.

There are large populations in California living in the the deserts of California (Palm Springs is an example); Phoenix is nothing new, as far as communities in the desert.

Along with that, Property was CHEAPER than in California, and as it grew, it became known that it was an Oasis in the desert.
It became a haven for Old people as they came from all over to retire there.
(I'm sure that being so close to peaceful Native American land was a plus, as WAS and lack of violence that exists in Orange County and Los Angeles County, where most of the Phoenix residents emigrated from, originally.)

If you go into Phoenix now-a-days you'll quickly notice that all the gangs there originated in Los Angeles. (Surenos, Bloods, Crips etc..) Evidently people that get tired of living in the Inland Empire, Orange county or Los Angeles County, they migrate to Phoenix.

Your comments about Mexicans coming from the other side of the border are pure racism; and the same could be said about ALL the cities in Southern California. EVERY city that is near the borders of Mexico, has a huge Mexican population, from California to Texas.

I have not looked at where you are from, and it's obvious that you are not from Phoenix; you are probably one of the white-supremists that work the boarder as a "minute man"... or just trying to get a
rise out of someone.

Lucky for me I happened to stumble upon this Phoenix-hating post, which is childish and inaccurate.

Phoenix is actually a VERY nice place to live, as I've visited there shortly. And although their downtown is not on par with "smaller populated cities" with bigger skylines, (like Dallas or San Diego or Miami)

It is a beautiful city. (Better than San Jose)

Last edited by TheDarkSide; 01-16-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 01-16-2014, 03:16 PM

297 posts, read 476,271 times
Also...
I've BEEN to San Jose and their downtown is TINY. I wouldn't call it a "skyline". It is not too dense. And it has its "nice" (rich) areas.
As for the REST of San Jose... is is VERY MEXICAN/Hispanic and .... dirty looking. Something like a "fancy Tijuana" , for those who have ever been to Tijuana. (the good parts).

Phoenix's downtown was TALLER and more impressive; can't say it was more "clean".. but what I DID like was the
same thing I liked about Albequerque: it has a Native American 'feel' to it. You feel like you are in the West.
There are lots of cactus , palm trees and Boulders/rock gardens in people's yards rather than hedges, and/or roses, etc.. like you would find in other peoples' yards in any other city.

I'm not saying they DON'T have roses or hedges... I'm just saying that when in Phoenix, you KNOW you are in the desert.
The Art work, the buildings, the 'style' of architecture and houses is dripping with a desert style that only Albequerque has more of.

It IS much like living in parts of East L.A. and part Albequerque.

The weather is not as dry, hot or "dusty" as you make it out to look. That is in "the eye of the complainer". (I'm coining that term)

For those who say they rather live in San Jose... they've either NEVER been to San Jose,
or they like dirty cities.

Last edited by TheDarkSide; 01-16-2014 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-16-2014, 04:42 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Both cities have enough of a skyline. There's nothing disappointing about it. In both cases, the airport runways restrict the height on the buildings. While staying at a hotel in Phoenix, I saw the planes flying almost directly over the downtown buildings. I'd pick Phoenix over San Jose, but San Jose is number 3 on my cities to move to, after Phoenix and San Diego.

Seriously, "disappointing skyline?" Who cares? At this point, skylines should just be a bragging point for cities and nothing more. Cities shouldn't be judged on their skyline. I'd rather see Phoenix develop a skyline more suited to its surroundings than to compete with other U.S. cities for "the bestest skyline".

Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
Something like a "fancy Tijuana" , for those who have ever been to Tijuana. (the good parts).
So does it feel like fancy version of the good parts of Tijuana or a fancy version of the rest of Tijuana? Because a fancy version of the good neighborhoods of Tijuana wouldn't be that bad.

Though San Jose feels little like anywhere in Tijuana...at all.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:33 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
Quote:
Also...
I've BEEN to San Jose and their downtown is TINY. I wouldn't call it a "skyline". It is not too dense. And it has its "nice" (rich) areas.
As for the REST of San Jose... is is VERY MEXICAN/Hispanic and .... dirty looking. Something like a "fancy Tijuana" , for those who have ever been to Tijuana. (the good parts).

Phoenix's downtown was TALLER and more impressive; can't say it was more "clean".. but what I DID like was the
same thing I liked about Albequerque: it has a Native American 'feel' to it. You feel like you are in the West.
There are lots of cactus , palm trees and Boulders/rock gardens in people's yards rather than hedges, and/or roses, etc.. like you would find in other peoples' yards in any other city.

I'm not saying they DON'T have roses or hedges... I'm just saying that when in Phoenix, you KNOW you are in the desert.
The Art work, the buildings, the 'style' of architecture and houses is dripping with a desert style that only Albequerque has more of.

It IS much like living in parts of East L.A. and part Albequerque.

The weather is not as dry, hot or "dusty" as you make it out to look. That is in "the eye of the complainer". (I'm coining that term)

For those who say they rather live in San Jose... they've either NEVER been to San Jose,
or they like dirty cities.
It's spelled Albuquerque. The spellchecker on this site even red-flags the way you spell it.

As for the topic of this thread, I think Phoenix's skyline is better. There have been pictures posted on this site which show a fairly impressive view of the skyline where the Downtown and Midtown areas of Phoenix are visible and though they may be short, they still look fairly dense and impressive together.

But no matter what, they are both quite a bit taller than San Jose's downtown skyline.

I was reading a thread about Albuquerque on another site recently and a poster made mention of how Albuquerque's tallest building is taller even than San Jose's tallest. At first I didn't believe it and so I went looking on Wikipedia to confirm this and lo and behold Albuquerque's tallest building is indeed about 60 feet taller than the tallest building in San Jose.

Similar to Phoenix, I've seen pictures of the San Jose skyline which managed to impress me before, especially in the fair amount of density it has even though it's a shorter skyline. But now knowing that not a single one of all those buildings is taller than Albuquerque's tallest I feel like I've been hoodwinked by San Jose's skyline. Haha.

It does make me imagine what Albuquerque's skyline would be like if it had more density rather than its current linear setup:

Google Image Result for http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00007.kIU4u7eqY/s/850/850/20121008-nmtex-2026.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.albuquerquebedandbreakfasts.com/images/image-top-alb-skyline-night.jpg

The focal point and pinnacle of our skyline, Albuquerque Plaza, is only 351 feet tall and 22 stories.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Also...

People come to this forum to get accurate information. I've lived in the San Jose area my whole life and you honestly have no clue what you're talking about. There are bad parts of SJ, but even the worst parts are very tame compared to just about any other large city. They also only represent a small part of the city. I used to attend school in one of the worst parts of the East Side and am well aware of what the crappy parts of the city are like.

SJ1

SJ2

SJ3

SJ4

SJ5

SJ6

SJ7

SJ8

Yup, sure looks like a complete dump to me!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Wow, that is absolutely beautiful. Like Beverly Hills, but with humbler abodes and more attainable.

Number five is similar and the rest are great as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City