Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Jersey or Long Island
North Jersey 208 62.28%
Long Island 126 37.72%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:59 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
No, not entire Northern NJ is Newark, however ugly run down cities like Harrison, Paterson, Passaic take up a lot of space. Outside of those cities however there is only endless suburbia since New Jersey has not developed a single decent city. How can you have a state the size and population of New Jersey and not a single decent city???
I don't get it.

With extreme proximity to NY you'd think there'd simply just be more of the endless ocean of glass-and-steel canyons that are Manhattan?

Honestly, I think JC/Hudson County is similar to NY on a level that when you simply say "NNJ is ugly" you're actually knocking NYC itself. We can all agree that Manhattan is nice, but the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Stat Isl are hardly beautiful by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:04 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I don't get it.

With extreme proximity to NY you'd think there'd simply just be more of the endless ocean of glass-and-steel canyons that are Manhattan?

Honestly, I think JC/Hudson County is similar to NY on a level that when you simply say "NNJ is ugly" you're actually knocking NYC itself. We can all agree that Manhattan is nice, but the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Stat Isl are hardly beautiful by comparison.
Couldn't say it any better.
--
Dementor,
NYC is not JUST Manhattan. IT has it's hoods just like Jersey has it's hood. BUT they're a lot bigger in NYC.
Jersey City is more than a decent city. Jersey City is going through major rehabilitation becoming a bigger Hoboken or a mini Manhattan. So your arrogance again, gets you no where.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,623 times
I currently live in Montvale, Bergen Co. NJ. I am a Student at LIU, Brooklyn Campus. My girlfriend of 2 years, lives in Dumont, Bergen Co.

As a younger person and having been on my own (self supporting), I would cast my vote for LI. In terms of things to do, (ie: nightlife) I spent much of my time the past couple years taking people up on suggestions of what to do around here. Everyone mentions Hoboken, of course. Great town, I love the restaurants by the PATH and all. The beers are cheaper (and less available in your local convenience store, not very convenient), and the people are without a doubt, much more polite. One would think why would I cast my vote in such a direction as say, east?

Im from Levittown, the countries, or world's for that matter, first mass-produced suburb. I Lived in a house that took 3 days to be built, and the only damage its suffered since 1947 were the brawls me and my 270lb 6'2 brother got into, my poor parents. It was a working class town, 15 mins away from the beach, 10 mins away from our afluent neighboring towns like Massapequa. Our town had 3 High Schools and 9 elementary schools. Offhand I would say that <90% of everyone I know, were born to city natives. Most people on southshore nassau are from brooklyn or queens. They looked to this area to move to, to get away from their neighborhoods. They built Nassau by just going there. They found they took 1 train to get ti wirk and most times did not have to transfer. They found people of all ethnicities living among them (african americans not appearing as much until the mid 90's). We seemed to get the people that no longer needed to live in the city, people who wanted out, just as you do in NNJ. However in Nassau, I have a tough time finding people who have lived their their whole lives. Which indicates once again that it was a destination, not a trap like most of you have said. Theres a reason people isolate themselves in these towns, they have everything they need. Anything you want, is available to you anytime of day/night. It is true that its Identity comes from the city, as it was built willingly by the migrating city dwellers. It is there to serve as the homes and quaint life of people who make their lives out of the city. Its true people in Brooklyn or Queens dont say they are part of LI, cuz they havent moved there yet. Many end up doing so, and one visit to Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Rockville Center, Franklin Square, GARDEN CITY or Mineola will tell them or you that we are proud to be from LI. You have your trash here and there, but Ive watched many more episodes of COPS happening in Jersey than even NYC for that matter. None happen in LI. The greatest criminal threat to the suburbs is the ignorance of the same culture that feeds NJ, the BS people look up to. On LI materialism is said to be rampant. I date a girl from Dumont (working class) who works in Englewood (not cliffs, but not the slums). The Bergen girls are no different, and in my opinion less diverse than the girls back home. I have a diamond in the rough. Most of these locals have no idea about LI, have never been past brooklyn, whereas everyone Ive grown up with has been to Jersey numerous times. Not just driving on the turnpike, because everyone knows what you see is not what you get in that case.

Another thing that makes me choose LI, is the simple roads. Everything is laid in a grid. AND you can TURN AROUND wherever you please. They do not have to be planned mistakes like they do here. These routes are very archaic compared to Long Island, an it shows in their layout. The 25 mphs speed limits on main town roads need to end also, if I were moving any slower Id be in reverse. Also the hills make this speed limit necessary in retrospect, although countless people fly over them anyway. I dont think the driving atmosphere can compare, as LI has 2 E+W parkways and a N+S parkway every few miles or so. Getting lost is impossible seeing as no matter where you go you hit main roads, and can ALWAYS enter onto them (unlike here). It is way more efficient and if there were no LI, the city would lose half of its workforce, and NNJ would become overcrowded, and then it wouldnt be so nice. LI is a necessary animal for this to all work.

As far as going out, I dont want to hear any of this bragging about the Giants and Jets being in NJ, because I dont know that you can afford to go see them. I have season tickets and cant even afford to go. So to claim rights to something that you have to watch on TV anyway is a complete farce. Anyone can afford a hockey game, and we each have teams within reach (LI has the Ranger as a 40 min option from Nassau Co.) and I know not of where your baseball options are, but we have 2 within close reach. I hate baseball anyway, but manya fan would disagree. As for bars/clubs...LI takes the carpet out from NNJ in a second. ALL over southshore nassau towns, is an endless pick of social envionments such as bars, clubs, cafe's. Levittown alone ahs two bowling alleys, nothin like throwin' on a pair of clown shoes, throwin' a few brews back and tossin' a gutterball hahah. Can anyone say, Roosevelt Field Mall?! Go down wantagh avenue and and stop at sunrise highway and count how much networking one could in an entire weekend on a mile stretch of road. Music, lets see, anyone ever go to the Crazy Donkey on rt110 or Mulcahy's? Big names hit these venues often. We have this too, just as yoy guys have sayresville (starland). I recall someone said something about our premier college town bein Stony Brook? Please. Nassau Co. is a college town. Go down Jericho turnpike and go to Dublin on any given night and its filled with people from CW Post and Hofstra, Adelphi, etc. There are So many Schools in nassau alone in great variety. From 2 SUNY schools, to private schools, to the 2nd best community college in the COUNTRY, thats right...NCC (or as we unaffectionately call it, Turnpike 'Tech). We have some of the most mixed and beautiful women I have seen in my travels (including manya country). So just for recreation alone, Id have to choose LI. Jones Beach is a great place to visit even in the winter, the boardwalk is beautiful, and the Christmas Lights show is always a hit. In the Summertime, Long Beach makes Seaside look like childs play, which it is seeing and everyone in LI goes there for their prom (or wildwood). Seasie isnt even NNJ jurisdiction anyhow..

Im not on the boat with Rachael or anyone, but I have my reasons why I prefer LI. IMO City commute, Recreation and Schooling are unmatched by NNJ. Bergen CC is a goo school, Montclair is nice, but compare them to NCC an Post. Those are just 2 in a sea of many. Also everyone I meet in NYC from Jersey have many gripes with their own locales, ironically none of them are on this forum.

As a sidenote on he transit, I take NJ Transit 5 days a week, someone shoot me. Im used to trains running every 10=15 mins or so, not just on peak hrs, and not moving my body until Im in NYC. Thats efficiency, not to mention our rails have 2 racks, offering a more frequent service and the rails are elevated above street level. We dont have to sit and wait for passing trains nearly as much, nor do we have to drive through a zoo of backstreets or plan our U-Turns in advance. You must be a local to survive these commutingg conditions here. I noticed a common phrase among kids from Jersey at the driving age and I kid you not, "F*** my life". There is a reason that when I go out with Jersey Natives every weekend, that they suggest we go 5 minutes down the road, to Pearl River, New York.

To sum up this jargon, the more Im in NJ, the more it grows on me..but it makes me nostalgic more than anything. Please someone, an Im not exagerating, tell me where the best pizza in North Bergen is. I found a decent spot in westood, but I need more options. Very unimpressed with the dough here (having made pizza myself for 4 years). Im dying for a slice!

My girlfriend who has never been farther than Nassau Co came with me to Smithtown, Suffolk Co. LI. She said to me "Hunnie, this reminds me of Jersey" haha, she is right. A lot of you Jersians would feel he same about suffolk. Not as busy Nassau, with its space like here in Most of NNJ. Very Nice, with less taxes than nassau. The charm of Suffolk is unbeatable, but Im Nassau boy at heart. I love the competition, the tightly knit communities and the walking distance of 5 or 6 choices of different award winning bagel places or pizzerias. Thats what Im talkin about!

I say this, From a beautiful home in a quiet NNJ Town. Frankly, Im young, and Im bored. Im bleedin here with ya, brothers and sisters. Let all go out sometime?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times
Quote:
OK New Joisey. You got it.
OK...the only people that call New Jersey "New Joisey" is New Yorkers. Aye aye aye.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
No, not entire Northern NJ is Newark, however ugly run down cities like Harrison, Paterson, Passaic take up a lot of space. Outside of those cities however there is only endless suburbia since New Jersey has not developed a single decent city. How can you have a state the size and population of New Jersey and not a single decent city???
Dementor, what you have to realize is those industrial looking towns are directly in the shadow of NYC, just like to the east of NYC you have blighted, nasty-looking areas of Brooklyn and Queens. It's urban sprawl. How is Kearny, harrison, etc any different aesthetically from the crappy parts of Brooklyn and Queens? But if you go beyond that, you reach true suburbs (LI), just like if you go beyond the urbanish areas of NJ, you reach true suburbs, and eventually true country/mountains!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombo47 View Post
I currently live in Montvale, Bergen Co. NJ. I am a Student at LIU, Brooklyn Campus. My girlfriend of 2 years, lives in Dumont, Bergen Co.

As a younger person and having been on my own (self supporting), I would cast my vote for LI. In terms of things to do, (ie: nightlife) I spent much of my time the past couple years taking people up on suggestions of what to do around here. Everyone mentions Hoboken, of course. Great town, I love the restaurants by the PATH and all. The beers are cheaper (and less available in your local convenience store, not very convenient), and the people are without a doubt, much more polite. One would think why would I cast my vote in such a direction as say, east?

Im from Levittown, the countries, or world's for that matter, first mass-produced suburb. I Lived in a house that took 3 days to be built, and the only damage its suffered since 1947 were the brawls me and my 270lb 6'2 brother got into, my poor parents. It was a working class town, 15 mins away from the beach, 10 mins away from our afluent neighboring towns like Massapequa. Our town had 3 High Schools and 9 elementary schools. Offhand I would say that <90% of everyone I know, were born to city natives. Most people on southshore nassau are from brooklyn or queens. They looked to this area to move to, to get away from their neighborhoods. They built Nassau by just going there. They found they took 1 train to get ti wirk and most times did not have to transfer. They found people of all ethnicities living among them (african americans not appearing as much until the mid 90's). We seemed to get the people that no longer needed to live in the city, people who wanted out, just as you do in NNJ. However in Nassau, I have a tough time finding people who have lived their their whole lives. Which indicates once again that it was a destination, not a trap like most of you have said. Theres a reason people isolate themselves in these towns, they have everything they need. Anything you want, is available to you anytime of day/night. It is true that its Identity comes from the city, as it was built willingly by the migrating city dwellers. It is there to serve as the homes and quaint life of people who make their lives out of the city. Its true people in Brooklyn or Queens dont say they are part of LI, cuz they havent moved there yet. Many end up doing so, and one visit to Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, Rockville Center, Franklin Square, GARDEN CITY or Mineola will tell them or you that we are proud to be from LI. You have your trash here and there, but Ive watched many more episodes of COPS happening in Jersey than even NYC for that matter. None happen in LI. The greatest criminal threat to the suburbs is the ignorance of the same culture that feeds NJ, the BS people look up to. On LI materialism is said to be rampant. I date a girl from Dumont (working class) who works in Englewood (not cliffs, but not the slums). The Bergen girls are no different, and in my opinion less diverse than the girls back home. I have a diamond in the rough. Most of these locals have no idea about LI, have never been past brooklyn, whereas everyone Ive grown up with has been to Jersey numerous times. Not just driving on the turnpike, because everyone knows what you see is not what you get in that case.

Another thing that makes me choose LI, is the simple roads. Everything is laid in a grid. AND you can TURN AROUND wherever you please. They do not have to be planned mistakes like they do here. These routes are very archaic compared to Long Island, an it shows in their layout. The 25 mphs speed limits on main town roads need to end also, if I were moving any slower Id be in reverse. Also the hills make this speed limit necessary in retrospect, although countless people fly over them anyway. I dont think the driving atmosphere can compare, as LI has 2 E+W parkways and a N+S parkway every few miles or so. Getting lost is impossible seeing as no matter where you go you hit main roads, and can ALWAYS enter onto them (unlike here). It is way more efficient and if there were no LI, the city would lose half of its workforce, and NNJ would become overcrowded, and then it wouldnt be so nice. LI is a necessary animal for this to all work.

As far as going out, I dont want to hear any of this bragging about the Giants and Jets being in NJ, because I dont know that you can afford to go see them. I have season tickets and cant even afford to go. So to claim rights to something that you have to watch on TV anyway is a complete farce. Anyone can afford a hockey game, and we each have teams within reach (LI has the Ranger as a 40 min option from Nassau Co.) and I know not of where your baseball options are, but we have 2 within close reach. I hate baseball anyway, but manya fan would disagree. As for bars/clubs...LI takes the carpet out from NNJ in a second. ALL over southshore nassau towns, is an endless pick of social envionments such as bars, clubs, cafe's. Levittown alone ahs two bowling alleys, nothin like throwin' on a pair of clown shoes, throwin' a few brews back and tossin' a gutterball hahah. Can anyone say, Roosevelt Field Mall?! Go down wantagh avenue and and stop at sunrise highway and count how much networking one could in an entire weekend on a mile stretch of road. Music, lets see, anyone ever go to the Crazy Donkey on rt110 or Mulcahy's? Big names hit these venues often. We have this too, just as yoy guys have sayresville (starland). I recall someone said something about our premier college town bein Stony Brook? Please. Nassau Co. is a college town. Go down Jericho turnpike and go to Dublin on any given night and its filled with people from CW Post and Hofstra, Adelphi, etc. There are So many Schools in nassau alone in great variety. From 2 SUNY schools, to private schools, to the 2nd best community college in the COUNTRY, thats right...NCC (or as we unaffectionately call it, Turnpike 'Tech). We have some of the most mixed and beautiful women I have seen in my travels (including manya country). So just for recreation alone, Id have to choose LI. Jones Beach is a great place to visit even in the winter, the boardwalk is beautiful, and the Christmas Lights show is always a hit. In the Summertime, Long Beach makes Seaside look like childs play, which it is seeing and everyone in LI goes there for their prom (or wildwood). Seasie isnt even NNJ jurisdiction anyhow..

Im not on the boat with Rachael or anyone, but I have my reasons why I prefer LI. IMO City commute, Recreation and Schooling are unmatched by NNJ. Bergen CC is a goo school, Montclair is nice, but compare them to NCC an Post. Those are just 2 in a sea of many. Also everyone I meet in NYC from Jersey have many gripes with their own locales, ironically none of them are on this forum.

As a sidenote on he transit, I take NJ Transit 5 days a week, someone shoot me. Im used to trains running every 10=15 mins or so, not just on peak hrs, and not moving my body until Im in NYC. Thats efficiency, not to mention our rails have 2 racks, offering a more frequent service and the rails are elevated above street level. We dont have to sit and wait for passing trains nearly as much, nor do we have to drive through a zoo of backstreets or plan our U-Turns in advance. You must be a local to survive these commutingg conditions here. I noticed a common phrase among kids from Jersey at the driving age and I kid you not, "F*** my life". There is a reason that when I go out with Jersey Natives every weekend, that they suggest we go 5 minutes down the road, to Pearl River, New York.

To sum up this jargon, the more Im in NJ, the more it grows on me..but it makes me nostalgic more than anything. Please someone, an Im not exagerating, tell me where the best pizza in North Bergen is. I found a decent spot in westood, but I need more options. Very unimpressed with the dough here (having made pizza myself for 4 years). Im dying for a slice!

My girlfriend who has never been farther than Nassau Co came with me to Smithtown, Suffolk Co. LI. She said to me "Hunnie, this reminds me of Jersey" haha, she is right. A lot of you Jersians would feel he same about suffolk. Not as busy Nassau, with its space like here in Most of NNJ. Very Nice, with less taxes than nassau. The charm of Suffolk is unbeatable, but Im Nassau boy at heart. I love the competition, the tightly knit communities and the walking distance of 5 or 6 choices of different award winning bagel places or pizzerias. Thats what Im talkin about!

I say this, From a beautiful home in a quiet NNJ Town. Frankly, Im young, and Im bored. Im bleedin here with ya, brothers and sisters. Let all go out sometime?

Nice post...very long post at that, lol. But I mostly agree with you. I just bought a house in Levittown, so I'll be moving there shortly

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 AM

Here are a few pics of North Jersey...

Man, I can just SMELL the smog looking at these North Jersey pics, can't you??
Attached Thumbnails
North Jersey VS Long Island-westfield.jpg   North Jersey VS Long Island-cranford-mill.jpg   North Jersey VS Long Island-cranford.jpg   North Jersey VS Long Island-high-point-nj.jpg   North Jersey VS Long Island-sunrise-mountain.jpg  

North Jersey VS Long Island-stokes-state-forest.jpg  

Old 03-19-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Dementor, what you have to realize is those industrial looking towns are directly in the shadow of NYC, just like to the east of NYC you have blighted, nasty-looking areas of Brooklyn and Queens. It's urban sprawl. How is Kearny, harrison, etc any different aesthetically from the crappy parts of Brooklyn and Queens? But if you go beyond that, you reach true suburbs (LI), just like if you go beyond the urbanish areas of NJ, you reach true suburbs, and eventually true country/mountains!
Great way of putting it where were you before to throw glory on both sides!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:00 PM

34 posts, read 143,930 times
I would pick North Jersey only because it appears that Long Island has zero diversity in a sense that there always seems to be some kind of racial incident in the news.

The murder of the that hispanic immigrant comes to mind along with alot of other incidents I saw on the news this past summer and previously.

Perfect example from a person who lives in Long Island.............

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...rs-racist.html

Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3000 View Post
I would pick North Jersey only because it appears that Long Island has zero diversity in a sense that there always seems to be some kind of racial incident in the news.

The murder of the that hispanic immigrant comes to mind along with alot of other incidents I saw on the news this past summer and previously.

Perfect example from a person who lives in Long Island.............

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...rs-racist.html
Yea i always here about racial issues in LI, I also heard that Mariah Carey growing up was tormented in LI and her neighbors killed her dog because they were racist.. Don't know what the deal is, but good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City